Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help..I replaced injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need Help..I replaced injectors

I had a slight leak on one of my injectors and since I had a 1998 xj for parts with the updated orange injectors, I decided to try and replace them...Everything ran fine before the replacement. Now the leak is fixed but unfortunately it idles a bit rough and is blowing black smoke out the exhaust and smells extremely rich..It used almost a 1/4 tank of fuel in 30 minutes of idleing in the driveway....I may have missed a step on the injector replacement but I was thinking thats all I needed to do?

I would start cleaning this and that and looking for a problem but again, it ran fine just before the replacement....any ideas?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

some of the injectors may be stuck open. probably have to clean them out.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Did you flash your pcm?

Sent from my Droid using Cherokee Forum
Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Bobby3062
I had a slight leak on one of my injectors and since I had a 1998 xj for parts with the updated orange injectors, I decided to try and replace them...Everything ran fine before the replacement. Now the leak is fixed but unfortunately it idles a bit rough and is blowing black smoke out the exhaust and smells extremely rich..It used almost a 1/4 tank of fuel in 30 minutes of idleing in the driveway....I may have missed a step on the injector replacement but I was thinking thats all I needed to do?

I would start cleaning this and that and looking for a problem but again, it ran fine just before the replacement....any ideas?
Take them all out and test them with a ohms meter they should all read about the same .. if they all work soak them in some seafoam for a few hrs get some new orings, undo the battery cables ... hook everything back up and you should be good to go
Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zacks98
Did you flash your pcm?

I disconnected my battery cables for a short time and then reconnected but had the same problem...I'm guessing I'll have to check the fuel rail pressure and see if it drops when I shut off the key to verify if it is indeed a stuck injector
Old 07-31-2011, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

I disconnected my battery cables for a short time and then reconnected but had the same problem...I'm guessing I'll have to check the fuel rail pressure and see if it drops when I shut off the key to verify if it is indeed a stuck injector
You have to do more than just disconnect them...lol

Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zacks98
You have to do more than just disconnect them...lol

Yea, I followed the tips from this link https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/703...rite-up-66456/

Still to no avail, I have the same problem....I do not have a gauge to check my fuel pressure but I did shut if off and immediatley press the shrader valve on the rail and had nothing...this is really looking to me like a stuck open injector...Is there anyway to determine which one without having to pull it all out again...or should I just start cussing under my breath and get to removing all of them again...lmao
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

you need to pull them all out, but leave them in the fuelrail. have a friend turn on ingnition, and watch which ones are leaking.
it will be 15 minut job.

good luck with it
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM

Ok...I feel like the biggest noob ever...I pulled the rail off and checked for an open injector and when I didn't find one faulty...I kept looking...all the sudden, I see this vaccum hose right in front of me disconnected...hehehe....you guessed it...map sensor...Man I swear some one must of snuck up on me and pulled it loose when I wasnt looking cause I didn't see it before...lol...anyhow...put it back on and all is fine now....thatnks for all the help though....Live and learn I suppose
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)
Engine: 4.0L

..Live and learn I suppose
This is the BEST way to live and learn.

Try assembling everything, buttoning up, standing back and admiring your work, only to see your brand new lifters still sitting safely in their little boxes on the workbench.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Ok...I feel like the biggest noob ever...I pulled the rail off and checked for an open injector and when I didn't find one faulty...I kept looking...all the sudden, I see this vaccum hose right in front of me disconnected...hehehe....you guessed it...map sensor...Man I swear some one must of snuck up on me and pulled it loose when I wasnt looking cause I didn't see it before...lol...anyhow...put it back on and all is fine now....thatnks for all the help though....Live and learn I suppose
Been there done that. Well not the exact thing but I feel ya pain lol tell me how those injectors work out for ya tho! Lol

Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

You're not a noob anymore! Now you can tell someone else what to look for when they go through what you just did - congrats on not giving up or runnin' home to Momma!