Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need Help

Just bought a 1996 Cherokee XJ with 56,000 original miles for my kid and looking to do a 3" lift to accommodate 31's. I was looking at the Rustys 3" kit with full leaf replacement, shocks, new coils. Rustys is saying I don't need to replace the control arms and doesn't mention the track bar.

Talking with a local dealer, they suggest replacing the control arms and lowering the track bar. Additionally, they're saying to do an add-a-leaf and not replace the rear leafs. Basically says their kit is incomplete. I'm new to this but want it done right. My son won't be doing any hardcore off roaming.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by Astardriver
Just bought a 1996 Cherokee XJ with 56,000 original miles for my kid and looking to do a 3" lift to accommodate 31's. I was looking at the Rustys 3" kit with full leaf replacement, shocks, new coils. Rustys is saying I don't need to replace the control arms and doesn't mention the track bar.

Talking with a local dealer, they suggest replacing the control arms and lowering the track bar. Additionally, they're saying to do an add-a-leaf and not replace the rear leafs. Basically says their kit is incomplete. I'm new to this but want it done right. My son won't be doing any hardcore off roaming.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
My Waggy has the Rusty's lift on it with full leaf packs, stock lowers and stock trackbar.

My '00 has a Zone lift on it with full leaf packs, aftermarket lowers, and adjustable trackbar.

If anything I'd recommend you pick up an adjustable trackbar, don't just do the drop bracket. You can get away with the stock lowers at that lift height. Go full pack, don't listen to the dealer. AAL is a band aid for sagging leafs and will sag as time goes on.

If you're interested in the Zone lift, ask Derran at Rockridge4wd for a quote. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/zo...dge4wd-173033/

I went through his company for the lift on my '00 and I would definitely buy from them again.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM

What's AAL? Also do I need to drop the track bar?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:59 PM

Got the AAL. Like the look of your '00. Will the saggy settle more in the back to level it out or are you even concerned about it?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM

What's AAL? Also do I need to drop the track bar?
AAL = add-a-leaf

You don't need to drop the track bar at that height, just buy an adjustable track bar. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 PM

Got the AAL. Like the look of your '00. Will the saggy settle more in the back to level it out or are you even concerned about it?
I'm hoping the leafs sag out a little with time, because it is definitely sitting higher in the back right now. It only has maybe 3,000 miles on the lift and it's been sitting over the winter. The Zone lift is pretty close to level as it stands. Honestly, I've been happier with the Zone lift.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by emptypockets
AAL = add-a-leaf

You don't need to drop the track bar at that height, just buy an adjustable track bar. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
Why limit your flex? If you want IRO get this TB instead.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XSP
Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM

I'm looking for something for my son. He's gonna turn 16 and our profile jeep is what we got him. Not looking to go crazy but what a good lift.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by XJmike0122
Why limit your flex? If you want IRO get this TB instead.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XSP
I wouldn't run that track bar at that height. I'd be afraid of hitting the bracket on the pumpkin and the steering angles would be off. I ran the one I first posted for a few years on my trail rig and it worked well. I run the same style on my '00 and it works great for a dd and I'm sticking the IRO track bar on my waggy this spring.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I'm looking for something for my son. He's gonna turn 16 and our profile jeep is what we got him. Not looking to go crazy but what a good lift.
I would say Zone is a good choice. BDS manufactures them and BDS is top of the line.

Originally Posted by emptypockets
I wouldn't run that track bar at that height. I'd be afraid of hitting the bracket on the pumpkin and the steering angles would be off. I ran the one I first posted for a few years on my trail rig and it worked well. I run the same style on my '00 and it works great for a dd and I'm sticking the IRO track bar on my waggy this spring.
It does not say on there site whats the minimum lift height is but its a way better design than the TRE TB so it would be worth giving them a call. I have the KOR double shear TB and it works with 1 to 8 inches of lift. I'm at 3.5 inches and I have no problem with bump steer.