Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Need advice for front bumper

Holiday overtime is done, tax return money coming soon, now it's time to think about getting bumpers for my XJ.
I bought my first XJ at the end of Oct. and I want to replace the front and rear bumpers with some off road ones.

I've been looking for bumpers since I bought this, but I can't seem to make up my mind on what I want. I keep going back and forth between a non winch and a winch mountable front bumper.

I want to be able to recover myself when I do some off roading but I'm wondering if I really need a mounted winch, or if I can get by with a come along and recovery straps.

Is having a front mounted winch worth the extra $200 for the upgraded bumper, the $300-400 for the winch, the $200 for a better battery, plus the time to wire the controls into the vehicle?

My thought is that a come along with recovery straps and heavy duty chains should be plenty to get me out of most situations. I have no experience though so your thoughts would be helpful.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Do u go off road every weekend?
If not,
I would just get a bumper with front hitch receiver. That way. U save on gas from not carrying extra weight of a winch. When u go off-road. Just bring along the winch
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Winches are like insurance...
It hurts to pay for it....
But it hurts a lot more not to have it when you really need it.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Do u go off road every weekend?
If not,
I would just get a bumper with front hitch receiver. That way. U save on gas from not carrying extra weight of a winch. When u go off-road. Just bring along the winch
I would love to go all the time, but I doubt I will be able to. There are limited places around me, most are about 2hrs away.
They make winch mounts that go into the hitch?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Winches are like insurance...
It hurts to pay for it....
But it hurts a lot more not to have it when you really need it.
True, but how much better is a winch than a come along set up?
I'm not planning on going without some kind of recovery gear, even if it's just some straps, a few pulleys, and a some rope.
Is a mounted winch worth the extra $800 vs manual recovery gear if I'm not planning on wheeling as much as I would like.

If I was going to go out every week, and hit some difficult trails, or do some mud runs then this would be a no brainer. Like insurance I'm trying to do a risk benefit analysis. I don't have tornado ins on my house, we have had tornados in the past, but they are very rare so not worth the cost.
If I only get the chance to go wheeling 6x a year, and none of those times will be on any real serious trails, would that $800 be worth it, or should I spend it on other options for the jeep?

With everyone on here there has to be some that started out one way and either upgraded or downgraded based on experience.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I have both a come along and a winch. I'd get the come along first and see if you actually have a valid use for it. If it sucks to use when the time comes then go out and buy a winch.

When it comes down to it, manual recovery gear will always work whereas a winch needs power.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not building your own bumpers and paying going prove for an aftermarket one, i would get the winch bumper and don't buy a winch yet and see how you like it. If you end up wanting a winch, it's a lot cheaper to buy one than have to buy a winch and a new bumper to mount it to. Just my $.02
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM

Engine: V6 4.0

I was in the same situation as you. I decided to go with a cheaper non-winch bumper because I wouldn't have used the winch enough to make it worth it. Just make sure you go with a buddy and that your bumper has d-rings to attach recovery straps to.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 AM

Year: 1995

I am in the same situation also. Accept I ordered a winch and bumper. I did just do the 136 amp alternator swap with an optima yellow top too for security.

I have not recieved the bumper yet, but if I use it a couple times it is woth the investement. I spent the money now so I dont change my mind later and want a better bumper after its all said and done.

Some companies put on good sales and you can pick up a winch bumper for the same price as a normal bumper almost.

Just my $ 0.02
Old 01-08-2014, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 91

Quadratec has good deals on there winch and bumper packages. Don't own one but looking into getting one. Anybody have a review for there winches? Using a smitty built bumper now. Hanging on by two bolts. Yanked a friend out of a river and destroyed the four front bolt holes on the unibody.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice for front bumper-wp_20140101_002.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 AM

Engine: V6 4.0

If you can find a winch bumper for a great deal then don't hesitate. You might end up wanting to take your Jeep out more and will realize you need a winch so get one if you find a good deal.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6 Powertech

If I was going to get a new bumper all over again I would get the Smittybilt 76810, then in the future you can get the pull bar part #76811. Sadly when i got my ARB Smittybilt didn't have this bumper out yet. Q-Tech sells a combo with their winch not a bad deal but a little bit of money. Otherwise almost any winch will fit.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12051_0821.htm
Attached Thumbnails Need advice for front bumper-175388-lg.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 AM
CF Veteran

Also check to see if there are any local fab shops by you. Usually local stuff is very well built and doesn't cost as much as the name brands. Plus shipping usually sucks on larger items.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 91

Originally Posted by XJJeff
If I was going to get a new bumper all over again I would get the Smittybilt 76810, then in the future you can get the pull bar part #76811. Sadly when i got my ARB Smittybilt didn't have this bumper out yet. Q-Tech sells a combo with their winch not a bad deal but a little bit of money. Otherwise almost any winch will fit.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12051_0821.htm
That's the combo I have had my eye on. Just need to find out what kind of mounting plates are on the bumper.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by bubbarules1958
That's the combo I have had my eye on. Just need to find out what kind of mounting plates are on the bumper.
3/16" thick. Goes past the steering box to the big hole in the frame which uses like a half inch bolt or something. On the passenger side its the same story, they give you a steering box spacer look a like that you put in the frame rail. After drilling holes in that side it bolts to the plate so both sides have more or less the same mounting. I won't be buying the bull bar for it, it's too costly and doesn't do much of anything. As you can ser from the pic, you can mount lights just fine using the holes they have drilled for the bar. Let me know if you'd like to see anything in particular about it.

Op, check out Nates4x4. They've got some sweet deals for winch and non which bumpers at affordable prices, as well as front and rear bumper combos.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice for front bumper-forumrunner_20140108_013316.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need advice for front bumper