Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on axles

Old 04-12-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Need advice on axles

I'm having a problem finding a front axle for my 2001 XJ build. I'm not looking to get extreme with anything, looking for a budget build, but also be plenty strong for 33's and rock crawling and also be well mannered on road.

My plan was to just get an 8.8 rear with disc, LS and 4.10 gears. I figured this would be the best and cheapest option as a gear swap costs more than a used 8.8, plus you get a disc brake upgrade as a bonus. As I was planning my build, everyone was telling me that an HP30 with 4.10's would be easy to find cheap, so that was my plan for the front. Well, I got lucky and found a good deal on the 8.8 pretty quick and picked that up. Bought the IRO truss and conversion kit over the holidays for a great deal and have been looking for a front hp30 for about 6 months now with no luck!!

I've expanded my search to Dana 44's as well. I'm not afraid to mod one out of an older F150 if I have to, but I'd prefer to find a 30 set up for an XJ rather than putting in all that money and work into the 44 as I've heard it's not much of an upgrade. Heck, I've even looked into an axle out of a Dodge as they come up often and cheap, but they just won't work from what I've read.

So, what do I do? I don't need the axle yet, I've barely started my build, but I want it now so I know I have it when I need it. I even almost bought an older disconnect hp30 just because it had 4.10's and I could at least run it until I found a nondisco, but I waited too long and that was gone. Do I look into other axles or maybe go down to a more common 4.56 or 4.88? I think 4.88 is too low for 33's, not sure if 4.10 or 4.56 is better for 33's, but 4.56 seems to be the most common. I've seen a few axle pairs for sale local with 4.56 or 4.88.

Anyone have any leads on something for sale that would fit my needs? I'm in AZ, willing to drive to nearby states for the right deal. I'm mainly looking on Craigslist everyday and a couple other sale apps local. Any recommendations on where to search?

Am I overthinking this? Should I just build it around my LP30 and pull the front driveshaft and run in 2wd if I don't find one by the time I finish? Obviously this build will take a while, the Jeep is down until I finish, I'm not driving it. Do I have any other options I haven't thought of besides spending thousands on a new Rubicon axle?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Honestly, a D30 either high or low pinion is sufficient for 33s. Either 4.10 or 4.56 is a good ration for 33s. 4.88 is too low for the highway, unless you are going to have a dedicated trail rig. You can shim over the disconnect with just about anything. I did that to mine now for the last 10 years
Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

The only problem with this type of planning is for now your plan is 33"s. I was only planing on going to 32s and stying there. Sitting on 36s now and someday I know it will have 40s. I have given up planing for that far out as I know it will come. My next set of axels will be atleast 3/4 tons. There is nothing wrong with building a 30 but you have to keep your expectations lower and never expect it to hold up the entire time with that type of money invested into it.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 AM

I'm thinking I should've just gotten the one with the disconnect and ran it for a while. I was actually going to make it cable actuated and use it to have 2 low which I want anyways. I just read too many bad things about them, I guess mainly they were probably saying not to dump Money into building them. Probably would've been fine for my situation.

Yes, I know, impossible to plan for later wants and needs, but for now, it's going to be 33's. I have been keeping my eye out for a pair of HP44/Ford 9" out of older F150 though as well, maybe that would future proof me a little better than the 30/8.8 combo? Still not easy to find, but might be a good option building those.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The 44/9" is a solid combination. Especially over the disconnect D30, but for 33's isnt really necessary if you drive your jeep accordingly.

As far as gearing goes, if you plan on staying with 33's go with 4.56's. Very manageable on road and much better than the 4.10's off-road.

Honestly even throwing chromo shafts in the 8.25 would stand up to considerable abuse on 33's, just food for thought.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
The 44/9" is a solid combination. Especially over the disconnect D30, but for 33's isnt really necessary if you drive your jeep accordingly.

As far as gearing goes, if you plan on staying with 33's go with 4.56's. Very manageable on road and much better than the 4.10's off-road.

Honestly even throwing chromo shafts in the 8.25 would stand up to considerable abuse on 33's, just food for thought.
The 44/9" would be to future proof the build a little and really only if I find that combo first. Right now I say I won't go to 35's, but I know it's always a possibility.

I decided on 4.10's mainly because I could get them stock in each axle I wanted and save big bucks on re-gearing. Would 4.56 be good for 35's? Remember this will be primarily on road to light/moderate trails. I don't plan on extreme trails, I don't really want to beat on this thing too much, at least not at first!

8.25 isn't an option for me, I figured the 8.8 would get me disc brakes, LS and 4.10's as well as a little stronger overall. That's why I chose that. If I decide on 4.56, then I'm back at square one with what axle I get, probably be whatever I can find with those gears besides a 35.

I guess a big factor in this whole decision is cost. Gear swap is more than most used complete axles, so I'm trying to avoid that expense for now. I know the 44/9 won't be cheap, but I think I can justify the extra cost in the end. I haven't even thought about a locker yet, hoping I don't need one. My other XJ with open front and LS 8.25 did really well, but that LS was really tight, I've heard the 8.8 LS aren't all that great unless you add shims to tighten them up. Not sure though.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Here you go!

east coast gears D30
Old 04-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by MirageMobile
Yeah, I've checked them out before.

$1300 for a stock, used D30, that's just too much!

Hoping to find a private party deal, usually much more reasonable.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

4:10s would probably be most common in XJs with the 2.5L engine. Maybe look for those and you might get lucky. The lower gearing was needed for the lower power engine.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by jedijeb
4:10s would probably be most common in XJs with the 2.5L engine. Maybe look for those and you might get lucky. The lower gearing was needed for the lower power engine.
Thanks, yeah, I've been looking for 4cyl, it seems they are extremely rare in AZ or they've been parted already. Guess I just need to be patient. Hopefully something will come up.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 223 Likes on 173 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I searched for a 4cyl to take axles out of for awhile. I found two but never ended up buying because the axles in them were beat.

Check out car-part.com, it is a search of all junkyards that inventory their parts.

They're out there, just gotta look consistently and be patient. You could also snag the LP from a 4cyl wrangler which would be super easy to find, but LP.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I went down the same path you are on now with my 90. I installed the 8.8 in the rear with 4.10s to match the 33s. I kept it in 2WD until I got the front axle sorted out (the 90 has the vacuum disconnect, didn't have to pull the driveshaft). I was on the hunt for a D30 out of a later 4 cyl XJ for months. Finally gave up on finding the unicorn. Bought the front axle out of a 97, best of all the years (bigger u joints, no disco, and HP). Trussed it, stiffened the pass UCA mount, welded on LCA skids, and regeared it. I bought the parts and set it up myself in the garage. Swapped the axles one for one on a Saturday afternoon.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
I searched for a 4cyl to take axles out of for awhile. I found two but never ended up buying because the axles in them were beat.

Check out car-part.com, it is a search of all junkyards that inventory their parts.

They're out there, just gotta look consistently and be patient. You could also snag the LP from a 4cyl wrangler which would be super easy to find, but LP.
I've checked that site a few times, seems they always have the same couple available, they're $700 if they are actually the right axle, not sure though. I just can't see spending that much for stock 30, hoping I have other options.

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I went down the same path you are on now with my 90. I installed the 8.8 in the rear with 4.10s to match the 33s. I kept it in 2WD until I got the front axle sorted out (the 90 has the vacuum disconnect, didn't have to pull the driveshaft). I was on the hunt for a D30 out of a later 4 cyl XJ for months. Finally gave up on finding the unicorn. Bought the front axle out of a 97, best of all the years (bigger u joints, no disco, and HP). Trussed it, stiffened the pass UCA mount, welded on LCA skids, and regeared it. I bought the parts and set it up myself in the garage. Swapped the axles one for one on a Saturday afternoon.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I still have a lot of time before I need the axle, I just really want to have it here and ready to go when I need it. I've thought about doing what you did, late model HP30's with 3.55's go for around $250 here, I assume it would be near $500 to regear, all the extras would probably bring it to over $1k I'd assume. So far I probably have a little less than $500 in the 8.8, so that brings me to $1500 for axles. I wonder how much a 44/9 combo would be? I know I can get a pair right now for about $500, but they are 3.50's and not sure on spline count of 9". So they would both need to be regeared and I'd want a disc conversion on the 9". I'm sure that would take me over $1500 total, but I'd have much better axles and be able to run 35's if I go that route.

I guess I just keep looking and seriously start considering my other options.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I bought my parts on Advance Auto's website. They run a coupon code consistently $40 off $100 purchase. I broke it up into $100 purchases. Motive gears - $80 after code. Carrier $60. Master rebuild kit $60. That's $200 total to regear. Then I replaced the u joints in the axle shafts, ball joints, and UCA bushings. Cant count those costs though, you'll want to do that with any axle you pick up. Those parts weren't much more than $150 though. Bought the axle at a Pick-n-Pull yard for $230. That's about $580 total into the axle, including purchase price.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I bought my parts on Advance Auto's website. They run a coupon code consistently $40 off $100 purchase. I broke it up into $100 purchases. Motive gears - $80 after code. Carrier $60. Master rebuild kit $60. That's $200 total to regear. Then I replaced the u joints in the axle shafts, ball joints, and UCA bushings. Cant count those costs though, you'll want to do that with any axle you pick up. Those parts weren't much more than $150 though. Bought the axle at a Pick-n-Pull yard for $230. That's about $580 total into the axle, including purchase price.
Didn't even know Advanced had the gears and carrier, that's a good idea with the coupons. That makes it more reasonable, but I've never set up gears and don't have the special tools required. All I ever hear about that is it costs as much to buy the tools as it does to have a shop do it. Of course, sometimes I don't mind buying tools if I know I can use them again and save some money in the future, so it's a consideration.

Did you have any experience with setting up gears before? Did you have help doing it?

Search this Thread