Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

napier precision hood vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default napier precision hood vents

I searched and didn't find much, but has anybody had any of these, they have 3 different styles, I was leaning towards the recessed but looking for reviews..
Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I cant speak on those specifically but the gen-right ones I use have held up great and have done exactly what I wanted them to do. You can clearly see heat pouring out of them when your going slow.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:47 PM
NPx
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bigpun
I searched and didn't find much, but has anybody had any of these, they have 3 different styles, I was leaning towards the recessed but looking for reviews..
It's great you're interested in our hood vents. Posted up a couple of pics from an RV Manufacturer that has started using our HVS710 vents. They're in our picture thread here on CF. Our stuff is new enough till there just aren't many reviews out there. We do have a simple return policy: "If you don't like what you see when you open the box send it back to us." All you have to do is contact us for return authorization and so we know to expect the return.
dn
Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I'll throw a couple of pics on this thread, just in case someone searches for these and this pops up again. Plus I feel like being a pic ***** right now, haha.

I love the vents, I've driven in the rain, ran through mud holes, power washed my hood and the raised design with gutters in between the slits do a good job of keeping out the majority of water. These will not extract heat from under the hood by pressure, but creates an opening for heat to escape while crawling at slow speed or after you turn it off when it's hot, preventing heat soak and vapor lock.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You do know that you can accomplish the same thing for less than a dollar don't you? All it takes are a few washers in the hood springs on each side to raise the rear of the hood a little. The heat will come pouring out right at the cowl and the engine runs cooler in hot weather, many here do it.

I first did it on a new 1966 Dodge Hemi that I bought to help with cooling, my first new car.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
You do know that you can accomplish the same thing for less than a dollar don't you? All it takes are a few washers in the hood springs on each side to raise the rear of the hood a little. The heat will come pouring out right at the cowl and the engine runs cooler in hot weather, many here do it.

I first did it on a new 1966 Dodge Hemi that I bought to help with cooling, my first new car.
I used kindorf instead of washers. Was easier to slide in.

But this year I needed the AC. And that raised hood does kill it a little. So i used 2" soffit vents. Just drill a few holes and paint.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

That is definitely one way to do it, but I'd rather my hood not come through my windshield and decapitate me in a front end collision, nor do I like the look of a raised hood in the rear. Plus if you have noticed the parts I have selected for my XJ, saving a buck isn't really my primary focus. Saving up for the parts I want and doing it right and doing it clean is my primary goal.

Good tip for some though.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Saving a buck isn't mine either and hood through the windshield I doubt, I just don't care for water running on the engine with louvers.

Looks aren't at the top of my list its all the things you don't see that are 8>) Do you keep your XJ on the street all the time I see it has street tires on it so that's a good reason to keep it looking nice, and it does. Mine is mainly for off road my WJ or Town Car are my DD's.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 10-13-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Saving a buck isn't mine either and hood through the windshield I doubt, I just don't care for water running on the engine with louvers.

Looks aren't at the top of my list its all the things you don't see that are 8>) Do you keep your XJ on the street all the time I see it has street tires on it so that's a good reason to keep it looking nice, and it does. Mine is mainly for off road my WJ or Town Car are my DD's.
Well I hope we never have to find out if a raised hood is safe or not.
This is my DD/weekend warrior for now until I decide if I want to get a new Chevy Colorado to drive daily and take the XJ to the next level. I have driven in heavy rain, deep water and power washed the hood with very little water reaching the engine. The hood vents were designed to prevent this, with it being raised and having water channels in between the slits. Which is the reason I bought these over other options.

If you would like to know my logic behind any of the other parts on my XJ, feel free to ask. Always a pleasure Fred!

...oh and they are ALL TERRAIN tires not street tires dangit! haha

Last edited by ss427ci; 10-14-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:53 AM
NPx
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by ss427ci
I'll throw a couple of pics on this thread, just in case someone searches for these and this pops up again. Plus I feel like being a pic ***** right now, haha.

I love the vents, I've driven in the rain, ran through mud holes, power washed my hood and the raised design with gutters in between the slits do a good job of keeping out the majority of water. These will not extract heat from under the hood by pressure, but creates an opening for heat to escape while crawling at slow speed or after you turn it off when it's hot, preventing heat soak and vapor lock.

Nicely done! Liking the matte black accent on the hood.
(And thanks for posting.)
Old 10-19-2015, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I use 2" round soffit vents as hood vents. During hurricane we just had and the nor'easter, jeep still ran with all the water going under the hood. Honestly, I cleaned every connector and di electric around where the wires go in. I've also done the hood raise mod, and only reason I stopped that, it affected the AC temps and with a pregnant wife, def needed the AC this past year. Never feared for my life doing it. That's just an intern myth. The hood will fold in before they break off. Specially if you're using the proper grade bolts.
The following users liked this post:
89build66 (01-04-2020)
Old 10-20-2015, 12:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by NPx
Nicely done! Liking the matte black accent on the hood.
(And thanks for posting.)
You're welcome and thanks for making a great product.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
I use 2" round soffit vents as hood vents. During hurricane we just had and the nor'easter, jeep still ran with all the water going under the hood. Honestly, I cleaned every connector and di electric around where the wires go in. I've also done the hood raise mod, and only reason I stopped that, it affected the AC temps and with a pregnant wife, def needed the AC this past year. Never feared for my life doing it. That's just an intern myth. The hood will fold in before they break off. Specially if you're using the proper grade bolts.
True, I just like getting Fred all riled up sometimes, haha.
Although there is some debate on how well hood spacers actually work vs. a properly vented hood. Some say the low pressure area at the base of the windshield prevents a lot of heat from escaping and has the reverse effect at higher speeds, in reference to cowl induction theory. Some say it works great at low speeds. Who knows?

Originally Posted by junglejuice
The CPS's are just an example of failure due to heat, do they melt, no do they fail due to heat, yes, this is proved by cooling them down resulting in a functioning sensor.
None of this is to do with the cooling system performance, this is heat soak due to a cramped engine bay and is especially prevelant in high temp areas especially at low speed.
I tested underbonnet temps of various items when comparing vented vs lifted bonnets, what I found was items such as the battery and air cleaner box etc were cooler with a vented bonnet compared to a non-vented bonnet with engine temps the same, the raised bonnet resulted in increased temps at highway speed compared to the other two...
Old 10-20-2015, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

You don't get me riled up its just we use our XJ's in two very different ways yours street mine trail, lower speeds vs. high. Mine is lucky when it goes to the car wash all that does is to lose some weight and show a few more scratch's and dents but a lot of fun, with every one 8-)
Old 10-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Although mine is a DD for now, I'm not afraid of getting her dirty on the weekends that's for sure. I didn't spend all this money for show, I can promise you that. But I get what you are saying.

Quick Reply: napier precision hood vents