Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My fender and door moldings faded as f

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: ATK 4.0L I6 w/ AEM Brute Force inatke, 748 Injectors
Default My fender and door moldings faded as f

Hey everyone, so as u can tell by the title all my "molding" is faded and I wanna pull it all off to paint... I guess I could paint it on the car but just curious if it's be easy to pull em all off and paint em up real nice like. If anyone knows how to go about pulling the plastic molding off a 2000xj me love you long time if ya let me in on it haha
Thanks guys!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:59 PM

I've got the same year model. The side cladding pulled right off and was stuck on with double sided trim tape. I cleaned them up real well, sprayed them with krylon fusion and stuck them back on with new tape. The paint has held up well. If by fender trim you mean flares, chances are the bolts will break when you try to take them off. That seems to be a common thing on them and everyone of mine did. If you can tape mask it off good, that might be the best option for the fender flares.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: big 6

Mr. Anderson please dont talk like that ever to anyone.. Lol. To address your issue you can use a piece of wire and wrap it around the end and then pull back towards you in a sawing motion. That worked for me on my buddies jeep. I used welding wire. You dont want to grab the trim and pull it because it could warp. Then once you have it off you will have the problem of cleaning off the old adhesive and re sticking them back on.

Another option is a handheld torch going over it lightly and very quick so you dont melt it. Theres many youtube vids on trim repair. Or you could do my personal fav and just remove it all together lol. Either way and in the end, never talk like that again lol
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by iflyfish
I've got the same year model. The side cladding pulled right off and was stuck on with double sided trim tape. I cleaned them up real well, sprayed them with krylon fusion and stuck them back on with new tape. The paint has held up well. If by fender trim you mean flares, chances are the bolts will break when you try to take them off. That seems to be a common thing on them and everyone of mine did. If you can tape mask it off good, that might be the best option for the fender flares.
Oh so they peel off? I figured that they would be bolted thru the back or some PITA thing. That's awesome Thks man. My buddy's got a whole bunch of that dbl sided tape stuff, its for construction application to stick windows in... permanently. I've read all about how easy they snap off and will probably tape it off. What about the front and rear bumper pieces though?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Driftunit
Mr. Anderson please dont talk like that ever to anyone.. Lol. To address your issue you can use a piece of wire and wrap it around the end and then pull back towards you in a sawing motion. That worked for me on my buddies jeep. I used welding wire. You dont want to grab the trim and pull it because it could warp. Then once you have it off you will have the problem of cleaning off the old adhesive and re sticking them back on.

Another option is a handheld torch going over it lightly and very quick so you dont melt it. Theres many youtube vids on trim repair. Or you could do my personal fav and just remove it all together lol. Either way and in the end, never talk like that again lol
Using the wire sounds good man Thks, I got plenty of tie wire around my job site that'll work great.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MrAnderson1987
Oh so they peel off? I figured that they would be bolted thru the back or some PITA thing. That's awesome Thks man. My buddy's got a whole bunch of that dbl sided tape stuff, its for construction application to stick windows in... permanently. I've read all about how easy they snap off and will probably tape it off. What about the front and rear bumper pieces though?
The rear bumper caps have attachment screws underneath (if I remember right) and there is also a channel on the quarter panel that some tabs hook into. I think once I got the screws out, the cap slipped right off. Be careful not to break the pastic tabs that hook to the metal channel bracket. It's been a while since I did that and trying to recall how I did it but I don't remember it being too hard. Seems like I slid it back and up at the same time. My original front bumper went away years ago for a winch bumper and I don't think those were hard to get off either. Crawl around underneath and you should see the attachment screws.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by iflyfish

The rear bumper caps have attachment screws underneath (if I remember right) and there is also a channel on the quarter panel that some tabs hook into. I think once I got the screws out, the cap slipped right off. Be careful not to break the pastic tabs that hook to the metal channel bracket. It's been a while since I did that and trying to recall how I did it but I don't remember it being too hard. Seems like I slid it back and up at the same time. My original front bumper went away years ago for a winch bumper and I don't think those were hard to get off either. Crawl around underneath and you should see the attachment screws.
Thks man uve been very helpful, I'm gonna buy the some krylon black this week and paint em up next weekend.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Ok so here is my thing. I was going to paint some stuff on my jeep with rustoleum spray on bed liner, and included was the side molding. So what I did was peal those suckers off and paint them all nice and pretty. Now I took off all the old double sided tape and cleaned the side of the jeep up to put them back on. I also bought some 3m automotive molding double sided tape. Now when I pulled the molding off, it gave it sort of a bow in the molding so that when I stuck it back on, the front of the molding gradually became unstuck because it was pulling itself off. A bunch of grass and dirt and crap then got between the tap and the body, making it impossible to restick without having to redo it. So I just yanked them off and threw em in the garbage can. I decided that I will just paint my rockers with raptor liner. I do have some after pics (before I tore em off again) though you may find useful.

My fender and door moldings faded as f-forumrunner_20120916_222950.jpg

Before and after: My fender and door moldings faded as f-forumrunner_20120916_223013.jpg

O, and you do not have to remove the bumper end caps to paint them, in fact I advise against removing them because when I started removing mine the bolts were seized and snapped. It is really easy ro just tape around them and paint them. Hope this helps

Last edited by greenxj21; 09-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: big 6

No sweat dude, post up some before and after shots
Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Side molding gone. Taped off the fenders and painted with Dupli-Color Bed Armor. This stuff over sprays like crazy so use a lot of paper and spray light coats.
Attached Thumbnails My fender and door moldings faded as f-image-1542009416.jpg   My fender and door moldings faded as f-image-1730963918.jpg   My fender and door moldings faded as f-image-1374291904.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ Mayhem
Side molding gone. Taped off the fenders and painted with Dupli-Color Bed Armor. This stuff over sprays like crazy so use a lot of paper and spray light coats.
Looks badass man, are those after market fenders? Mine are just stock, painted metal.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by greenxj21
Ok so here is my thing. I was going to paint some stuff on my jeep with rustoleum spray on bed liner, and included was the side molding. So what I did was peal those suckers off and paint them all nice and pretty. Now I took off all the old double sided tape and cleaned the side of the jeep up to put them back on. I also bought some 3m automotive molding double sided tape. Now when I pulled the molding off, it gave it sort of a bow in the molding so that when I stuck it back on, the front of the molding gradually became unstuck because it was pulling itself off. A bunch of grass and dirt and crap then got between the tap and the body, making it impossible to restick without having to redo it. So I just yanked them off and threw em in the garbage can. I decided that I will just paint my rockers with raptor liner. I do have some after pics (before I tore em off again) though you may find useful.

Before and after:

O, and you do not have to remove the bumper end caps to paint them, in fact I advise against removing them because when I started removing mine the bolts were seized and snapped. It is really easy ro just tape around them and paint them. Hope this helps
Is the tape residue a pain?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MrAnderson1987

Looks badass man, are those after market fenders? Mine are just stock, painted metal.
No, they're factory flares. I painted the end caps (front and back) off of the vehicle and just taped off the flares. End caps come off easily but be prepared for broken bolts. I also painted the bumpers. The front on the vehicle and I had the rear off when I installed new nut strips for a hitch.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0l IL6

I just painted mine still on the jeep. To avoid overspray I actually used cardboard and slid it behind the gap in the molding.

Before
Name:  2011-07-22183236.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  24.8 KB

During
Name:  2011-07-22195126.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  24.5 KB

After
Name:  2011-07-23112120.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  26.9 KB

Last edited by DortDizzle; 09-17-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Pulled of the side moldin on my lunch break

My fender and door moldings faded as f-image-1325870000.jpg

Came off easy, used a tie wire to start it then noticed it was scratching the lil bump so I stopped and grabbed some weedeater string and used that. Worked great!! Gonna buy some penetrating oil on my way back to work for the bumper bolts and spray em good for a couple days before trying those off

Quick Reply: My fender and door moldings faded as f