Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my cb setup...please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO
Default my cb setup...please help.

ok looking to add my CB here's what I got ,
And im trying to have a near perfect swr.
CB cobra 29ltd (going to get modded)
Mounts from a member on here.
Now I need help with antennas I want dual cofased antennas k40's
Lol dual 102's would be cool but im practical
What antenna length should I look at??
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by UsmclovesXJ
im trying to have a near perfect swr.
Pointless, make sure its under 1.5:1 anything less than that is pointless to try and achieve. No one will know the difference, including your radio. Of course if it is lower than that all the better but the point is moot.

A single 102" will out perform co-phased K40's every time. It is a simple fact that a 1/4 wave antenna will out perform its coil loaded counter part. If you want to use a loaded antenna like the K40 for length purposes use something that has the loading coil in the middle of the shaft not at the bottom. Stinger lenght isn't going to make much of a difference.

Just for reference: 99% of mobile antennas are loaded coil design, this includes fiberglass whips....the loading coil on these are just where the wire is wrapped tightly together. Ask your self this, If the loaded coil design was such a good thing why doesn't the military use them? Radio stations?

Last edited by outkast; 03-29-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM

Rodger that.
1/4 wave antenna
Single.
Good to go?.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by outkast

Pointless, make sure its under 1.5:1 anything less than that is pointless to try and achieve. No one will know the difference, including your radio. Of course if it is lower than that all the better but the point is moot.

A single 102" will out perform co-phased K40's every time. It is a simple fact that a 1/4 wave antenna will out perform its coil loaded counter part. If you want to use a loaded antenna like the K40 for length purposes use something that has the loading coil in the middle of the shaft not at the bottom. Stinger lenght isn't going to make much of a difference.

Just for reference: 99% of mobile antennas are loaded coil design, this includes fiberglass whips....the loading coil on these are just where the wire is wrapped tightly together. Ask your self this, If the loaded coil design was such a good thing why doesn't the military use them? Radio stations?
My swr is at 1.2
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by askingxforxit

My swr is at 1.2
Plus the military radios run on different frequencies. They are fiberglass coated copper whips
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
Plus the military radios run on different frequencies. They are fiberglass coated copper whips
Yes, yes they do. That doesn't mitigate the fact that they do not run loaded coil antennas on things. Granted at UHF and the higher VHF frequencies there is not a need to because of the short wave lenght.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 PM

Engine: 5.2L

I've been a CB'er for 30 years, and antennas are my specialty. The best antenna for your XJ is a single steel 102" whip mounted on the roof dead center. This will provide the best SWR possible, the best omnidirectional pattern possible, the lowest radiation angle, and will be a true 1/4 wave.
This will require drilling a hole in the roof. You will need to cleverly provide stregnth to the area where you will mount the connector. I used an 8" diameter round piece of metal with the right size hole in the middle to keep the roof sheet metal from bending back and forth. Just get creative on how to stregnthen the mounting area. Also using this method, you should need no more than 9' of coax, which is great.
If you park in a garage, just unscrew the antenna when you park.
There is also a 3 magnet mount for 102" whips that works good, but won't provide the best SWR. (It'll be acceptable though.)
Forget dual antennas, coily antennas, K40's, or Wilson's.
IF YOU WANT THE BEST PERFORMANCE, FOLLOW MY FORMULA!!
To repeat myself.....
If you want the best SWR's, best onmidirectional pattern, best radiation angle, and absolute best performance, be a geek (like me), and you'll be one happy camper!
To most people this will be dorky looking, but you did already think about dual 102' whips!! (A single one dead center the roof works better for more than one reason.)
And finally, now that you have a 102" whip dead center the roof, with only 9' of coax, you can find a nice 100 - 1000 watt linear amplifier to run, and you will blow smoke for miles and miles! You will be putting most base stations "in the mud"!!
Cheers.
"William Foster" - my CB Handle
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Excitable Boy
I've been a CB'er for 30 years, and antennas are my specialty. The best antenna for your XJ is a single steel 102" whip mounted on the roof dead center. This will provide the best SWR possible, the best omnidirectional pattern possible, the lowest radiation angle, and will be a true 1/4 wave.
This will require drilling a hole in the roof. You will need to cleverly provide stregnth to the area where you will mount the connector. I used an 8" diameter round piece of metal with the right size hole in the middle to keep the roof sheet metal from bending back and forth. Just get creative on how to stregnthen the mounting area. Also using this method, you should need no more than 9' of coax, which is great.
If you park in a garage, just unscrew the antenna when you park.
There is also a 3 magnet mount for 102" whips that works good, but won't provide the best SWR. (It'll be acceptable though.)
Forget dual antennas, coily antennas, K40's, or Wilson's.
IF YOU WANT THE BEST PERFORMANCE, FOLLOW MY FORMULA!!
To repeat myself.....
If you want the best SWR's, best onmidirectional pattern, best radiation angle, and absolute best performance, be a geek (like me), and you'll be one happy camper!
To most people this will be dorky looking, but you did already think about dual 102' whips!! (A single one dead center the roof works better for more than one reason.)
And finally, now that you have a 102" whip dead center the roof, with only 9' of coax, you can find a nice 100 - 1000 watt linear amplifier to run, and you will blow smoke for miles and miles! You will be putting most base stations "in the mud"!!
Cheers.
"William Foster" - my CB Handle
damn dude that helped alot !!!
But I have one question BC im all about go big or go home. A 1000w linear amp will help me pull stations?
or help me send out messages?
Or both?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

ok looking to add my CB here's what I got ,
And im trying to have a near perfect swr.
CB cobra 29ltd (going to get modded)
Mounts from a member on here.
What antenna length should I look at??
I had duel 102's years ago .. Im just running a wilson 2000 now.. How far are you looking to get out on the cb. Also with dual antennas your car will make your transmit and i think if i remember correctly your recieve will also be stronger in the direction you are faceing. You will transmit strongest in the direction of your headlights
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

damn dude that helped alot !!!
But I have one question BC im all about go big or go home. A 1000w linear amp will help me pull stations?
or help me send out messages?
Or both?
If it has a preamp it will pull too
Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Thanks Excitable Boy and Outkast.... I had that exact antenna question.

Last edited by 94xjjohn; 03-29-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 PM

Well, most mobile linears also have a receive amplifier, but we'll talk linears later. The setup I described will be the best antenna setup you can have- period. Set up the antenna, and I'll be glad to chat for hours about other things, like a good power microphone, and a linear. THE ANTENNA IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR CB RADIO. NAIL THE ANTENNA SETUP FIRST!!
Cost of my formula.....
102" steel whip - $20.00
Antenna Mount - $15.00
Metal to brace the underside of the roof - $10.00
A tube of Ultra Black to seal the hole in the roof - $7.00
9' of coax cable - $15.00

TOTAL $67.00 for the best antenna setup there is!!!

http://www.extremeradio.us/Images/102whip.jpg

This guy has it going on!!! This is the best possibe moblie CB antenna setup! Looks like he might have a magnet mount, but by drilling through the roof, you will have the best ground for your antenna, and get the best SWR.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/...7e78a339c4.jpg

Found this on Grand Cherokee Forum. This is the mount you will use, except, you are going through the roof.

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 03-29-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Excitable Boy..... do you have a hot lead on a radio, and... CB vs Import? Do you know the RCI 2970N2. Thanks.

Last edited by 94xjjohn; 03-29-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by 94xjjohn
Excitable Boy..... do you have a hot lead on a radio, and CB vs Import? Do you know the RCI 2970N2. Thanks.
Yes, I've heard those radios being used on the CB band. They're cool.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on an imported radio.... unless you are into talking on frequencies other than the CB band.

Sure, you can spend $400 to $500 on an import.

I prefer...

Basic 40 Channel Mobile CB $60.00, Good Power Mike $50.00, 100 watt linear $100.00, and 102" whip setup $60.00

ALL YOU NEED TO BE A BIG DOG!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 94xjjohn
Excitable Boy..... do you have a hot lead on a radio, and CB vs Import? Do you know the RCI 2970N2. Thanks.
This is the best Mobile CB Radio ever made!! They are often used as base stations!! Under $200.00!!

Galaxy DX959

http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/img...mg/1458672.jpg

Quick Reply: my cb setup...please help.