Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler and cat question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Muffler and cat question

First question; I have a stainless steel glasspack style muffler on my '96 XJ and I hate the sound. Everytime I change gears it sounds like it's farting, lol. I've had 16 Mustangs over the years and have had Flowmaster, Mac and Bolra mufflers on them, but I have no idea what sounds the best on these I6's. I don't want it too loud, but i want it to stand out and sound good. The popular choice seems to be with the 40 series Flowmasters, any other suggestions?

Second question; My cat is rattling and sounds like crap! I put my Jeep up on my lift and the entire exhaust system is good and tight. Is there any detrimental effect to just taking the cat off and replacing it with a piece of straight pipe? I don't have to worry about passing a state inspection or anything like that. I've always installed catless X-pipes on my Stangs and the only thing it done was throw a code and turn on the check engine light which I always fixed with an O2 simulator I built from a diagram a friend gave me. Will the Jeep do the same thing and will the simulators be the solution as well? Thanks for any response!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I prefer magnaflow.. length and shape, your choice. I have the 4x9 14" magnaflow with a turndown. Not too loud, nice tone.
And other than being illegal to drive on the road without a cat, it should run fine. The cat actually helps the back pressure for the 4.0.
performance-curve.com has a cat back kit.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

I would put the glasspack where the cat is and the flowmaster 40 after that with a turn down

should sound awesome, deep toned and NONfarty
Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0

Dont talk about cats here on this forum. they get way butt hurt about it.

ive had a pretty cheap dynomax and it sounded good. not loud. but decently aggressive. im running no muffler now and its way too loud. seem to hurt power too. gonne throw on a 40 soon
Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

if your cat is damaged you can LEGALLY replace it, but it must be the correct type/size for your vehicle
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Ehh they've never inforced any laws on not having a cat here so im not worried about that, just didn't want to throw anything off computer wise. I've never ran a Magnaflow but i've heard nothing but good stuff about them, I may check them out! Thanks everybody!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I have a Magnaflow cat and muffler..it sounds good but I ran the magnaflow cat with a flowmaster on my buddies jeep and I like the way it sounded much better....
Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l V6

I had to remove the kitty to reistall the exhaust system after doing a rear coil conversion. I did put on a flowmaster muffler with a turndown and it sounds much better now--deeper, throatier if you will. I like it. And yes the check engine light has come on now. It is b/c of the O2 sensors. Planning on just removing the bulb and forgetting it.

Last edited by Doc7; 06-02-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

performance-curve.com also has a universal cat with o2 bung for around 40$. Definitely use it with your 4.0L.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by Gatchmo5710
Dont talk about cats here on this forum. they get way butt hurt about it.
It is not that we get but hurt it is federal law...

Originally Posted by cruisemissile
Is there any detrimental effect to just taking the cat off and replacing it with a piece of straight pipe? I don't have to worry about passing a state inspection or anything like that.
Like I just posted it is federal law to replace it if it is driven on the road. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace

Federal Law.

Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.

The installation of non-complying converters by a named party will be considered
a violation of section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act, and the violator may be subject to a civil
penalty of up to $25,000 for each improper installation.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

I run a 2.5" magnaflow cat with a full 2.5" exhaust and long cherry bomb glasspack and love the sound. mine has a good rumble and doesnt sound like a fart can...
Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM

Year: 2000
Smile

I run a Flowmaster Super 40, regular cat, and AEM intake on the other end (which of course also affects the sound). I like it - it has a throaty, deep, not ricy tone, and is plenty loud for a 50+ year old minister/professor. It doesn't just drone, you can hear individual pulses, kinda like an MGB that finally reached puberty. An article in JP magazine said the Dynomax was much quieter, but you can hear it when you get on it. Besides, they're cheap. Two good options.

I'm thinking about a free-flow cat, but I've been told they're louder. I'm already up to almost 22 mpg on my commute, and always looking to breathe better. Being an old Rambler inline-6 guy, I say let it breathe.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: I6

I was running a IRON ROCK Offraod cat back and straight pipe. I will admit it. I am now running the Iron Rock Offraod cat back and a new Magnaflow high flow converter and am much happier. No more abnioxious smell or loud noise. Still throaty, but so much better with a converter.

I also removed my 160 thermostat and went back to 195, just the best one on the market.

On the jeep they are not worth taking off. The only thing that changed was my mileage went down, it was louder, and stunk.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

I just threw on a Flowmaster 44, it is loud and deep, just what I wanted. I have it welded right behind the cat with no tail pipe. Very nice quality muffler.