Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More relays

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default More relays

So I am in need of adding relays. Maybe 4-6. For headlights and spot and fog lights. Would like to see some mounting setup pics if anyone has any. Not sure if I want to get an auxiliary panel or just some relay sockets that have a mounting holes. Mostly I can't decide where to mount them. Need some ideas and please and thanks. I like to do things neat and tidy not just connect them and let them flop around the engine bay. Let's see those clean relay installs.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I'd also like to see some people's wiring setups under the hood. Currently mine looks like a rats nest and I'm kind of ashamed of it.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

First step would be a snazzy block to mount the relays in, seems to me. How about a junk yard.. just pull a relay block from a jeep?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

I picked up another PDC and plan to do the bleepin jeep fusebox mod at some point but I do think there're easier ways to do it cleanly.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

I just mount aux. relay sockets on the driver's side wheel well where there's plenty of room and call it a day.
But for as many as you want to mount, yeah a panel of some kind might be better.

You're right to want neat wiring.
There's a lot of pics here with rat nest wiring.
Not only is it an eyesore but dangerous.
Neat wiring if done right can be safe wiring.

Here's what i do for aux. wiring right or wrong.
-If you need to power something directly from the battery, always put the inline fuse as close to the (+) battery terminal as possible and use the right gauge wire for the device.

-I always use protective plastic wire shields similar to OEM shields even with a single wire.
Then the new wiring will look exactly like OEM cables. There's a reason OEM mfg'ers use those shields. The wire shields are available at any auto parts store.

-Run the wiring along the firewall or wheel wells out of the way of any hot parts which could cause melting and away from any sharp objects which could cause shorts.

-Then zip tie the new shielded wires to existing OEM cables. No shortage of OEM cables to choose from.
Once done, the new wiring will be indistinguishable from the OEM wiring/cabling.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Well I was thinking about a block from another vehicle. I actually have one in a Cherokee I'm stripping. But that might be a little large and harder to find a good mounting location.

Watched the Bleepin Jeep video before. That's much too time consuming. If I did have the time though that's the route I would take.

There are some cool power blocks available. My idea is to use a block with a common + bus so I wouldn't need to connect each one to the battery. There are decent ones that are fused and have covers. Trying to get some ideas as to where to mount said block. And then I will run power from there to the respected relays for each circuit. Also need to mount the relays somewhere. All of this should be as close to the battery as possible eliminating too long of wires. Then the longest wires will be from the relay to the accessory.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

I used the power blocks from Blue Sea on the Bug. They have both 6 and 12 port options. I like that they also have a built in ground section.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Nice setup there. I wish there was that much space under the XJ hood. Found this on amazon. It's a 6 gang with relays and fuses with a cover. Only like $20.
Attached Thumbnails More relays-img_0057.png  
Old 05-08-2017, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

I do like that one! Its nice having the relays in the box. Would have saved me a lot of wiring. But yes, the XJs do not have much room to mount a fuse block in the engine compartment. Me personally, I would find a spot under the dash to mount it, especially if the fuse block is not water proof. None water proof relays and water dont play nice together.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Ya there's no room at all really under the hood. Maybe on the fender well under the master cylinder but I don't like that location. Isn't really a lot of room under the dash either. I'll probably end up installing an AC bypass pulley anyway and then I can make a bracket to mount it near the overflow bottle somewhere. I'm also going to need a place to mount the winch solenoids if I ever get my winch back on. They mounted near the master cylinder when I got the jeep.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

We sell these at the Napa I work at:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWR12633201

When I was wiring up my fog lights I wanted to see if I could use it. Was thinking in the section that is circled in the shot below. It was to long though. Thinking something might fit there. Drill a hole, nut and bolt and give you a stud to nut too. Have to buy a rivnut tool for a couple projects and thinking that would help with the install.
Attached Thumbnails More relays-screenshot_1_08585cca88395fa046e1a67adfde7c5c86b6bc02.png