Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monstaliner for Chrome Bezels ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Monstaliner for Chrome Bezels ???

Does anyone know if Monstaliner will stick well to the plastic chrome headlamp bezels ? I figured I'd scuff em up a lil bit first ,,,
Old 07-23-2018, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by CRLAMBERTJR
Does anyone know if Monstaliner will stick well to the plastic chrome headlamp bezels ? I figured I'd scuff em up a lil bit first ,,,
I had Line-X do the plastic on some factory running boards to change them from green to black to go with my black '00. Don't see any reason why not. Thing is do you really want to do that to chrome headlight bezels? I don't care for them. Or the chrome grill and chrome piece on the hatch above the license plate. But some do. Just thinking it would be a shame to do that when there is somebody out there that might really want them. That is the one option that I am not trying to do to my Limited/Country/Up Country/European Orvis Clone.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Scuff em up good with the red scotch brite and use some plastic adhesion promoter like valspar pr2 or Sherwin Williams atx
Old 07-23-2018, 11:50 PM

They replaced OEM black ones, per my original build sheet, after the po smacked a bambi ! They aren't in that great a shape. Starting to get the little pits all over. Worse yet, they are the only pcs of chrome on my Jeep ! They're just out of place and stick out like a sore thumb !!! To me,,, it just doesn't look right ? For what that can of paint costs, I could probably pay for one of the new black ones,,, I was hoping the monstaliner would stick with just roughing them up. One more question,,, the monstaliner, does it all have to be used up at once ? Or can it be stored for later use ? I'm thinking of doing my roof, hood, flares, front & rear bumpers, sliders, roof rack and probably pocket or flat flares ? Figured if I had to, I'd just get everything bought, then paint it up all at the same time.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by CRLAMBERTJR
They replaced OEM black ones, per my original build sheet, after the po smacked a bambi ! They aren't in that great a shape. Starting to get the little pits all over. Worse yet, they are the only pcs of chrome on my Jeep ! They're just out of place and stick out like a sore thumb !!! To me,,, it just doesn't look right ? For what that can of paint costs, I could probably pay for one of the new black ones,,, I was hoping the monstaliner would stick with just roughing them up. One more question,,, the monstaliner, does it all have to be used up at once ? Or can it be stored for later use ? I'm thinking of doing my roof, hood, flares, front & rear bumpers, sliders, roof rack and probably pocket or flat flares ? Figured if I had to, I'd just get everything bought, then paint it up all at the same time.
I often wondered how Monstaliner would store myself. A fellow forum member seems to like the Duplicolor Bedliner in the rattle can. Thinking if you just want to get by and do the bezels. I thought at some point I would buy a can and give it a test run. You sound like me. I want to bedline my whole Jeep. I am not sorry that I had a bunch of pieces Line-X'ed but it is not cheap. In addition to the running boards I had them do my door molding, rear factory mud flaps, and the roof skid strips. I would like to do so much more. Bumper caps, the factory fender flares, maybe bumpers, the brush guard if I ever get it on, etc. Thing is to keep going to Line-X would cost an arm and a leg. But if I start doing it myself then things won't match. Different textures and all. But it might not differ enough to matter though. Just a sample of what Line-X looked like.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:04 PM

Looks good ! Probably tougher ? $$$ I just kinda figured that matching black wouldn't be that hard ? Plus I can touch up if needed.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Monstalined mine

Side shot
Old 07-25-2018, 07:23 AM

I've hashed around doing this too. Most of my paint is actually pretty good, except the roof and hood.