Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid arms?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Mid arms?

Been reading, and researching about mid arms. It seems that if you want to go this route you need to make them your self ( please let me know if anyone is selling them. I did not find anyone , but currie that made and sold them. Yet no longer do?) but here the big question, where do you mount them???

Oh yeah ( off topic, but ) with a low cog set up can bumps tops be to long? I was thinking of 4" if it would be ok

Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Not many people run mid arm set ups anymore. Most people stick with the stock short arm configuration or go with a long arm set up.

Your bumpstop set up will vary on which shocks you run, lift height, and all that jazz.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

I think dirt bound offroad makes a mid arm DIY last I checked. But if you want bolt on its gonna be regular old long arms. Nothing wrong with long arm/radius at all. You'd have to get pretty creative if you wanted to mount a mid arm anywhere other than directly under the frame rail. A long arm 3 link can mount to a cross member at least but a mid arm won't reach.

Try not to think about being "low cog." Just put stuff where it fits

Last edited by Atmos; 05-03-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 PM

is full traction's system basically a mid arm design? all arm mounts are forward of the transmission mount...
Old 05-03-2014, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

I'd call it a 4 link. Look into the RK or Clayton 3 link, top of the line stuff.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
I'd call it a 4 link. Look into the RK or Clayton 3 link, top of the line stuff.
im saying its a mid arm design longer than a short arm but shorter than a typical long arm. and i think its a huge plus that its a true 4-link. ( lets not get that arguement started here tonight :-) )
Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Snow play xj
Been reading, and researching about mid arms. It seems that if you want to go this route you need to make them your self ( please let me know if anyone is selling them. I did not find anyone , but currie that made and sold them. Yet no longer do?) but here the big question, where do you mount them???

Oh yeah ( off topic, but ) with a low cog set up can bumps tops be to long? I was thinking of 4" if it would be ok

Thanks
Dirtbound off road in San dimas ca makes a mid arm kit.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
this

when i get long arms ill either be getting claytons or rock krawlers 3-link
Old 05-04-2014, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Thanks
Depends on lift height and fab skills.

If your sticking with 3"-4.5" IDEALLY mid arms are best for these heights as there is less hang up and still a great amount of droop/flex. But because long arms are usually easier(bolt on) and simply replace the stock crossmember to a beefier one, people choose long arms.

Long arms are truly meant more for the higher lifts like 5"+ but do work well for the most part on the shorter lifts.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 AM

I'm not against long army's, but don't want the cost of track bar and so on. If its a must I will. I am planning on staying at 3" ( might go 4" tho ) and a undercaridge skid is coming soon
When I installed th quick disco, I flexed it and ( I have no idea how to measure flex, Cept on ramp which I haven't put it on yet ) but it looked pretty sad ( compared to other folks flex ) , but made it up my concrete debri pile without touching the fenders
Mid arm seemed cool, but maybe I should start looking into a long arm set up
Thanks for the replies
Old 05-04-2014, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

If you don't want to have to replace a track bar, that's as good as it is going to get.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:24 PM

no matter which route you go a new track bar will be on the list! i run the DirtBound mid arm. Any mid arm or long arm will be capable of more wheel travel and articulation than the stock track bar!

bump stops are a fun topic. half of all jeepers will say "you dont need them" your bump stops should be set up based on a few things. trimming, tire size, and shock length. i set my front end up with 4" extended poly stops running 12" fox resi shocks I had to relocate the shock mounts so the bump stops will bottom out before the shocks. I trimmed my fenders to clear 35's with these bump stops. there are pictures of the whole process in the thread listed below. if theres a picture you want that i dont have just ask if i can snap it im more than happy to take it.

you can find pictures of my jeep and the suspension here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/de...-build-190499/
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Would love more info a relocating the shock mounts

Going up to Tomken tommarrow and should be able to get a real number for how much flex I've got IRC but took the jeep up some old logging roads today ( all diconected ) and ran it up a steep 6' ish burm and it was impressive ( to me only ) had more to go as well. Either way looks like I'm going long arm next on to do list.
Didn't reconnect the sway bar and to be honest felt like driving the bronco?

Is there a set lenght to a track bar that I could count on to get me more flex, like right now ??? Or are other components needed bump stops --- I'm doing 4" as well and shocks, well don't really know yet, but most likely need to do soon so I can get some more flex
All n all I was really stoked to see her flex today and made me instantly want more
Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Would love more info a relocating the shock mounts

Going up to Tomken tommarrow and should be able to get a real number for how much flex I've got IRC but took the jeep up some old logging roads today ( all diconected ) and ran it up a steep 6' ish burm and it was impressive ( to me only ) had more to go as well. Either way looks like I'm going long arm next on to do list.
Didn't reconnect the sway bar and to be honest felt like driving the bronco?

Is there a set lenght to a track bar that I could count on to get me more flex, like right now ??? Or are other components needed bump stops --- I'm doing 4" as well and shocks, well don't really know yet, but most likely need to do soon so I can get some more flex
All n all I was really stoked to see her flex today and made me instantly want more
You're gonna have to do some searching as it sounds like you don't know much. Not be the douche bag just being honest. Read up a bit more before jumping in to things. Search double shear track bar, single shear track bar, heim track bar. Learn the differences , learn what they do. Learn about your jeep and how things work. Especially since you think lift height means more flex. There is something called droop, amazing thing. Search the lcog thread here.

Did I mention read? Lol

Just saying it again, please read and search lol
Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 PM

Hum, I want to do the low cog thing because it shows you don't need lift for capability. I just thought that a simple formula may have been established on track bar length. Been reading a chit ton, and been under the jeep plenty. Still trying to learn every thing I can. Thanks for the new key words to search. I'm sure that will help.
I really just want to stay 3-4" and roll 33's and get the most I can out of my jeep set up with these peramitors in mind. Skid plates are being added up every few weeks, so getting hung up wont bee as big a deal with only 33's
Thank you all for the replies

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mid arms?