Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Major wiring issues

So, I started this thread last night after replacing my heater core. Ive been working on it all morning and I CAN NOT figure out whats going on. Ive got an idea, but its a bad one:

Im thinking I might have bad wiring somewhere, i.e., broken wires in their sleeves, etc. Here is my thread I started yesterday and edited this morning, however, I thought Id start a new thread in advanced chat because Ive come to think this is a wiring issue only.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rem...rrectly-96460/

So, the reason Im thinking its the wiring is because, I pulled the dash back off after editing my post earlier, and after checking every connection I put it back on. First difference is, I didnt screw all the dash nuts & bolts back on in case I wanted/needed to pull it again. So, I hook the battery back up and I now can control the rear wiper with my headlights. AND, when I killed the key I hear a noise coming from my vent, like the heater is running or something. So, I put my hand on the dash and lean forward and it goes out. If I wiggle the dash around, different things happen. If I screw it all on tight, I simply get no working keyless entry and a buzzing in the passenger door. If I leave the dash loose, it seems like I have varying problems.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? This is our ONLY vehicle and our daily driver and we havent been able to go anywhere for the past 3 days since I started tearing this apart. Any info or thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

try trace back and remember if you undid a groundwire. bad groundwires can make funny things happen.

good luck and let us know how it turned out
Old 07-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Update: I fixed it. Either I had a loose wire, or.....

I initially thought it was a bad ground. I kept disconnecting the battery, checking things, reconnecting, re-checking, etc., and at one point I had the battery connected and was working on the dash and pushing it around and different things were happening. Then I thought, maybe I need to have the dash screwed down tight to the body to make a full ground connection. Well, that must have been it because the second I screwed it down tight everything worked fine and still does. So, either it was the ground like I initially thought, OR there is a bad wire somewhere that will rear its ugly head the second I hit a bad bump.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Great maybee a groundwire is at one of those bolts.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Yeah, I coudlnt see anything, but screwing it down tight on all nuts & bolts definitely did the trick.