Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made the Add a Leaf Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Made the Add a Leaf Mistake

2 years ago I got a Rough Country 3" lift kit for my '01 XJ and now see why everyone says the AAL are a mistake.

I've searched the forums for the last hour or so and didn't really find an answer to my problem, so I thought I would throw these questions out there.

The driver side rear has been sagging a little over an inch for the past few months and it looks like it is making the front sag some as well, about 1/2 inch. Will a sagging rear spring pull down the front as well?

I'm looking to replace the springs with new ones but my question is really what size springs should i get? I'm guessing OEM's wont work due to the lift. I was going to call RC and see about just buying the correct springs from the 3" kit, (it had the option of ordering the AAL or full new) but don't see a separate listing or price for them on their site.

I've also looked at other sites (RE, Pro Comp, Rock Auto, etc...) and don't see specific listings for just the leaf springs.

Do I need springs that say 3" or do I need ones that state like 1 1/2" over stock?

I saw some RE 3.5" springs on Amazon for a great price but think they might be too tall.

I would appreciate any feedback...thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

I like RE as a company, I am what you might call a satisfied costumer but I think your fear of their 3.5" leafs being too tall for your lift is justified. They will be. I wouldn't suggest buying any AAL at this point because who knows if your OEM leafs are sagging as well. I would think about a junk yard bastard pack. Maybe take an XJ main spring and add some dodge Dakota leafs. Or you can buy shackle re locator brackets and use the whole Dakota pack. There's tons of bastard pack options out there. Keep doing research. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

I don't think the rear will pull down the front.
But the springs might settle a little.
Look at rustys, iron rock offroad, serious offroad.
All have individual listings for 3-3.5" lift Springs.
Rubicon express is known to lift a little more than advertised, but after they settle you should be set.

The best riding Springs are old man emu.
Which is what ill be replacing my rough country stuff with.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by icecold
2 years ago I got a Rough Country 3" lift kit for my '01 XJ and now see why everyone says the AAL are a mistake.
At least you avoided the more expensive lesson that RC full leaf springs are a mistake....

I think there are some heavy duty springs out there that give about a 2" lift. Combine those with some shackle relocators and and longer shackles and you should be on target.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by schirm
I like RE as a company, I am what you might call a satisfied costumer but I think your fear of their 3.5" leafs being too tall for your lift is justified. They will be. I wouldn't suggest buying any AAL at this point because who knows if your OEM leafs are sagging as well. I would think about a junk yard bastard pack. Maybe take an XJ main spring and add some dodge Dakota leafs. Or you can buy shackle re locator brackets and use the whole Dakota pack. There's tons of bastard pack options out there. Keep doing research. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
Thats what I here about the RE springs, the 3.5's are like 5" before the settle.

I looking at the shackle brackets now....thx.

For those interested here is the link to Amazon with the RE 3.5" springs.
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-01-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Barrelmaker
I don't think the rear will pull down the front.
But the springs might settle a little.
Look at rustys, iron rock offroad, serious offroad.
All have individual listings for 3-3.5" lift Springs.
Rubicon express is known to lift a little more than advertised, but after they settle you should be set.

The best riding Springs are old man emu.
Which is what ill be replacing my rough country stuff with.
Maybe it was just a weak front spring along with the sagging rear leaf thats pulling down the front corner.

But I'm looking at the Emu's now...thx.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by sreeb
At least you avoided the more expensive lesson that RC full leaf springs are a mistake....

I think there are some heavy duty springs out there that give about a 2" lift. Combine those with some shackle relocators and and longer shackles and you should be on target.
I think maybe that whole RC kit was a mistake....wont be using them again.

I'll look at the Emu's as well as a heavy duty set with a new shackle....don't want to pay a ton of money for this right now since sometime next year I want to put a 4.5" full kit on.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Get 3" ome springs, you can add to that with relocation brackets/ shackle to lift to 4.5.
Same with the front just add a spacer when you want to bump that last 1.5".
This is what I recommend and the route ill probably end up taking.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

I have RE 3.5" full leaf packs. I added adjustable extended shackles, to get close to the 4.5" lift up front. Even on the lowest setting of the extended shackles, the rear is still about a inch too high-6months later.

It rides rough (w/45* shackle angle and 5100's). Which I went OME...
Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Make a bastard pack with the xj main and all s10 springs except the overload. I got $25 into my rear bastard pack . Be warned...drilling the centering hole out on the xj main is a pita. Take them to a suspension shop or use a press. Hand drill ssuuuccckkkeeeddd. If you go this route that is