Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lunchbox locker front, limited slip rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0
Default Lunchbox locker front, limited slip rear?

Hypothetical question. I currently have an open diff in the front and an Aussie automatic (lunchbox) locker in the rear. My rig is a weekend warrior, light to medium wheeling, expo rig on 31s. I occasionally drive it back and forth to work when my Civic is low on gas (hardly ever) or when the mood strikes me. The rig is an AX15. I'm honestly starting to get sick of the Aussie constantly locking/unlocking and bucking at slower speeds (in parking lots I usually have to clutch in to make it stop). I do however, like the Aussie offroad and when I feel like being a hooligan and do donuts/drifts.

My idea is to replace the lunchbox with an aftermarket, clutch type limited slip like the Dana Spicer, Auburn, or Detroit TrueTrac to improve my street ability while maintaining that rear wheel drive not open diff feel and put in an automatic lunchbox (i.e. another Aussie) locker in the front for when I hit the trails.

My questions are:

1. Is this stupid?
2. Do automatic lockers in the front really only engage when in 4wd i.e. torque is applied?
3. What part does the AX15 play in all of this?
4. Has anyone done this?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

Stupid is a matter of opinion.

Yes automatic lockers when in the front only engage when torque is applied, if not you couldn't steer to save your life if it engaged all the time.

It's a transmission....

I have a friend who rocks a lunchbox lockers both front and rear. He's 7 inches of lift and 35s. It's his DD and play toy on the weekend. Pretty much anything you can conceive has been done to the XJ
Old 04-16-2015, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995

Many people do that. It is a very solid setup. And yes, lunchboxes in the front only engage in 4wd.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

1. No, this is a good setup IMO

2. Yes, the auto locker up front only becomes a factor in 4WD or during super tight turns (AKA parking lot)

3. The AX-15 is fine, the LSD makes things so much better in the rear from both an offroad and daily driver perspective.

4. This is the setup I have now, Aussie up front with an LSD in the rear. I think there are few circumstances I've encountered where the limited slip being not 100% locked was a shortcoming, and the Aussie up front has helped immensely offroad.

The downside to your idea is that a new limited slip is pretty expensive, and for that price it may be worth it to shell out a couple hundred extra for a selectable locker.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my xj was my dd I only had the front locked and I loved it. Practically invisible in 2wd and did great off-road. Now my jeep gets driven once a week and locked with Aussies both front and rear. I feel you when it comes to the bucking. It's kind of annoying when it starts doing it in 2-3rd gear going around a long swooping turn. Clutch in and hold on is all you can do.

Being mainly a off-road rig I deal with it though because having full lockers off-road is amazing. You can swap your Aussie out for a limited slip in the rear for better street ability but you will be sacrificing off-road performance. It really boils down to what you think is better for you. For me off-road performance trumpeted daily drivability. I wouldn't call it a stupid move though since a limited slip is still better than open diffs. I think a front locker with limited slip would give you the best of both worlds.

Last edited by jmm0122_; 04-16-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Thank you guys for the insight!!! Keep it coming. I'm liking this idea.

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
I feel you when it comes to the bucking. It's kind of annoying when it starts doing it in 2-3rd gear going around a long swooping turn. Clutch in and hold on is all you can do.
Haha, exactly! I'm glad you understand.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

If you're going to get a limited in the rear to replace the Aussie then do 2 things... first: Get the truetrac it's the best one and has no wearable parts. Second: Sell me the aussie locker! If you're looking to sell it in the future i'll look out for it. I personally want to do the opposite and run an aussie in the rear with a truetrac up front, I have a NP242 and want to keep the full-time option.

Last edited by unidentifiedbomb; 04-16-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 sport
Engine: 4.0 6I

Originally Posted by EvstaG
1. No, this is a good setup IMO

2. Yes, the auto locker up front only becomes a factor in 4WD or during super tight turns (AKA parking lot)

3. The AX-15 is fine, the LSD makes things so much better in the rear from both an offroad and daily driver perspective.

4. This is the setup I have now, Aussie up front with an LSD in the rear. I think there are few circumstances I've encountered where the limited slip being not 100% locked was a shortcoming, and the Aussie up front has helped immensely offroad.

The downside to your idea is that a new limited slip is pretty expensive, and for that price it may be worth it to shell out a couple hundred extra for a selectable locker.

yes to this
Old 04-17-2015, 05:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

to swap out to lsd in the rear, you will need a new carrier, therefor you will need a gear setup along with that lsd. getting pricey now.

keep and deal with the locker in the rear and get a lunchbox in the front. cheapest option.

best option, get selectables.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
If you're going to get a limited in the rear to replace the Aussie then do 2 things... first: Get the truetrac it's the best one and has no wearable parts. Second: Sell me the aussie locker! If you're looking to sell it in the future i'll look out for it. I personally want to do the opposite and run an aussie in the rear with a truetrac up front, I have a NP242 and want to keep the full-time option.
Unless I find someone local with a Truetrac 8.25 who wants to trade, the Aussie is yours.

Originally Posted by caged
to swap out to lsd in the rear, you will need a new carrier, therefor you will need a gear setup along with that lsd. getting pricey now.

keep and deal with the locker in the rear and get a lunchbox in the front. cheapest option.

best option, get selectables.
Good point on the price. Those Truetrac's aren't cheap by themselves either.

I don't really want two lunchboxes as the rig's number one priority isn't wheeling. If it was, it wouldn't be on 31s... Same is the case with selectables. The idea behind the limited slip is to have that driving feel on the street with a "proper diff." As unrefined as the Aussie is, I would NEVER go back to an open diff and as far as I gather, the selectable operates as such when not on (probably the most obvious thing I've said today )
Old 04-17-2015, 06:23 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Sell me the aussie locker! If you're looking to sell it in the future i'll look out for it. I personally want to do the opposite and run an aussie in the rear with a truetrac up front, I have a NP242 and want to keep the full-time option.
If you purchase a used auto-locker, I strongly suggest new pin springs. They may look fine but are often compromised when removing them from locker and from previous use. Aussie/Lokka springs are $20

Last edited by SteveMongr; 04-17-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I run Detroit Lockers front and rear but you would never know the rear one was there is no noise with it and 100% reliable. Buy quality the first time and never look back...........BTW forget the LSD they suck when you need them most.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

The LS rear setup is very good especially on snow or ice. Since you have the 8.25 rear, you might be able to find someone willing to part with a stock 8.25 LS. Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:06 PM

This is the setup I decided on after a lot of research, but it's not completely installed yet.

I went powertrax no slip (not lock right) in my HP30 in the front and 8.8 with stock LSD in the rear. I LOVE the LSD on the road and I'm hoping that since I went the more expensive route on the lunchbox up front that it'll be invisible. If it's good enough, I might go powertrax no slip in the rear too.

So far my rear axle is swapped and my front is being built. Doing steering, truss and brakes while I have a donor.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:07 PM

I guess the moral of my story is, consider the 8.8 swap. You'll get LSD, a stronger axle (not that you need it on 31s) and disc brakes on 1 fell swoop.

Quick Reply: Lunchbox locker front, limited slip rear?