Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lunch box locke4rs, set me up

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Arrow lunch box locke4rs, set me up

iv searched like everyone tells everyone to do but all i come up is build threads and regional section threads and nothing thats really helpful.

lunchbox lockers front and rear. d30/c8.25, what would you go with?looking for something inexpensive (whos not?) but not lacking durability and preformance.

which combo would you go with?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM

When I still had my 8.25 I ran a lock rite in the rear. It took a little getting used to for a DD but once your used to it it's no big deal. Off road performance was fantastic. I ran it for over two years with no problems at all. Install took about an hour and a half by myself. I now have an 8.8 in the rear with posi. And yesterday I got my lokka locker for my Dana 30. I have yet to install it but it looks identical to my lock rite. And way cheaper. I should get it in this weekend
Old 08-27-2013, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by silver95
When I still had my 8.25 I ran a lock rite in the rear. It took a little getting used to for a DD but once your used to it it's no big deal. Off road performance was fantastic. I ran it for over two years with no problems at all. Install took about an hour and a half by myself. I now have an 8.8 in the rear with posi. And yesterday I got my lokka locker for my Dana 30. I have yet to install it but it looks identical to my lock rite. And way cheaper. I should get it in this weekend
awesome man, im lookin forward to hearing how the front lunch works. how much is it running ya?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:48 PM

I don't think we are supposed to discuss prices here. Go to the website. Extremely easy to navigate and lokka is owned by the same company as Aussie. But extremely reasonable pricing
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

I don't think we are supposed to discuss prices here. Go to the website. Extremely easy to navigate and lokka is owned by the same company as Aussie. But extremely reasonable pricing
thats weird..but okay, thanks and let me know how the front one turns out to be
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Why did it take a while o get used to it? Cause of the noise or because of the feel?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I have an Aussie in my 8.25. It's not very loud and it woks exactly as advertised. They run ~$300 and I think they are worth it. Will be adding a locker up front when everything else is ready to go again.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

if its in the rear does it ever lock in while on road driving? like in 2wd or does the tires have to free spin a couple times for it to lock in?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 95
Engine: I6 4.0 242 HO

You won't feel it until you hit corners, it'll disengage if you let off the throttle on corners, or will spin tires if you hit the gas
Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rawk krawler
You won't feel it until you hit corners, it'll disengage if you let off the throttle on corners, or will spin tires if you hit the gas
How sharp of a corner would I feel it? Like during city driving or going on curves on highways?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally ran a Aussie locker in the rear of my 8.25 and loved it. There really wasn't much getting used to other than the clicking noise it makes and driving in snow, which can get kind of sketchy. Earlier this year I put an Aussie in the front as well and haven't had any problems. I drive the jeep about 40 miles round trip to work 3 days a week, mostly highway and have never had any problems. Offroad performance is great as any locker will be. If I would have known about Lokka lockers before I bought my Aussies I would have gone with them because they are much cheaper and are identical products.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
I originally ran a Aussie locker in the rear of my 8.25 and loved it. There really wasn't much getting used to other than the clicking noise it makes and driving in snow, which can get kind of sketchy. Earlier this year I put an Aussie in the front as well and haven't had any problems. I drive the jeep about 40 miles round trip to work 3 days a week, mostly highway and have never had any problems. Offroad performance is great as any locker will be. If I would have known about Lokka lockers before I bought my Aussies I would have gone with them because they are much cheaper and are identical products.
What's wrong with its performance in snow?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XJwonders
What's wrong with its performance in snow?
Nothing you can't get used to but the front end likes to under steering when turning and the rear likes to kick out as well. Straight line driving is fine. Driving in the snow with open diffs is much easier to control. If you live up north this could be a problem but here in NC it only snows once in a blue moon so I don't really have to worry about it.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 95
Engine: I6 4.0 242 HO

You'll notice it on any corner (depending on your tires/how heavy you are on the pedal) but it just clicks when you don't romp on the pedal.
In my experience lock-rite is really quite and Spartans are very loud.
I'm on 33s and its a very faint clicking when I turn, you won't have problems making u turns or anything.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rawk krawler
You'll notice it on any corner (depending on your tires/how heavy you are on the pedal) but it just clicks when you don't romp on the pedal.
In my experience lock-rite is really quite and Spartans are very loud.
I'm on 33s and its a very faint clicking when I turn, you won't have problems making u turns or anything.
So if I go light on the gas pedal while making corners, it ll make less noise AND wear down my tires slower? Because my worry is about quick tire wear

Quick Reply: lunch box locke4rs, set me up