Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Ball Joint Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lower Ball Joint Help

OK. I have owned my XJ since she was new 2K model. Currently 173K on the clock. It has a 5-1/4" front lift and 5-1/2 lift in the rear. I am doing front axel work currently. I have the hub units off. I was sure they were bad...but they feel the same as new. Anyone's thoughts....it seems like a no brainer to do the hub units anyway...right? The front axels are out for u-joints. And the knuckle is off for ball joints. I can't get the lower BJ out. I've been soaking it, twice a day for a week with PB. Cycling heat, cool cycles...always trying when heated (axle eye...not the BJ). I have even left the BJ puller/press torqued and let it cool, torqued and heated like crazy hoping for a "pop".

Any other idea's. Can I try to drill them out? OUCH...PITA. Is my axle housing done? It is a stock axle.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM

Year: 1999

With 175k on the hub bearings, it can't hurt to swap them out while everything is all apart. Does the ball joint press seem like it's going to break? If not keep cranking on it. It takes alot of force to get the "pop". You can also try giving the knuckle around the ball joint a few good shots with a hammer while under pressure of the press.

Last edited by Jds12; 05-02-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jds12
With 175k on the hub bearings, it can't hurt to swap them out while everything is all apart. Does the ball joint press seem like it's going to break? If not keep cranking on it. It takes alot of force to get the "pop". You can also try giving the knuckle around the ball joint a few good shots with a hammer while under pressure of the press.

Thanks...I have doing the hammer strike...thing. Both while heat cycling and pressing. And yeah...I kinda already did, hence asking here...heading for a cheap AZ rental.

I am a seasoned wrench, on this rig even...but the dealer put them in 70K ago. The uppers were greased for "insertion", they popped right out. The lowers take so much more crud. They are pretty "welded". I just will keep soaking and heat cycling.

I always coat mine "unit" with anti-seizure lube before I shove it home. Sheesh. Have some respect for the hole.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by traildogck
Thanks...I have doing the hammer strike...thing. Both while heat cycling and pressing. And yeah...I kinda already did, hence asking here...heading for a cheap AZ rental. I am a seasoned wrench, on this rig even...but the dealer put them in 70K ago. The uppers were greased for "insertion", they popped right out. The lowers take so much more crud. They are pretty "welded". I just will keep soaking and heat cycling. I always coat mine "unit" with anti-seizure lube before I shove it home. Sheesh. Have some respect for the hole.
If you love it, lube it. Is there a snap ring on the ball joint?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a different method. I got mine out with an AZ press, so maybe that'll hold up a bit better for you. Good luck with it.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
If you love it, lube it. Is there a snap ring on the ball joint?

Also...very good call. I will continue...no snap ring...just rust.

I'll just rinse and repeat. I have a turbo Subaru OB XT urban play toy...as a second driver, so I'm not in a hurry. Lube, Love, Heat and Pressure...HUH? but it'll get her there, eventually, whew. LOL, no offense to all you gals out there.

The OutBack forum is oddly populated by a bunch gear head guys talking wrench about their cars, which were designed for the Blue Hair Librarian or the RainBow Triangle Gals...There are few women on the forum. But,girls hopefully still "Jeep Naked".
Old 05-02-2014, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I had to drill one out on my wife XJ... Don't think they were changed in 200k.. Not much fun... Drilled it out and cut a groove In it with a jig saw.. But finally got it out and didn't damage anything. Every other one I've done has been pretty easy with the press.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
I had to drill one out on my wife XJ... Don't think they were changed in 200k.. Not much fun... Drilled it out and cut a groove In it with a jig saw.. But finally got it out and didn't damage anything. Every other one I've done has been pretty easy with the press.

Still soaking...nothing's budging. I drilled the top out of the passenger side. No I guess I push the ball/spindle up through the top, then cut out the JJ socket. I have not ever had to do this before.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

The lower ball joint drops out of the bottom. Just incase you were trying to push it up
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

I just did mine yesterday. It took a three foot extension on the breaker bar handle to pop my lowers using a ball joint press. Like xjfirefighter said, the uppers press out up and the lowers press out down. I had mine under extreme pressure and then gave the housing around the ball-joint a good hard crack with a BFH. Good luck. Be very careful when pressing the new ones in, keep them straight.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rockhead
I just did mine yesterday. It took a three foot extension on the breaker bar handle to pop my lowers using a ball joint press. Like xjfirefighter said, the uppers press out up and the lowers press out down. I had mine under extreme pressure and then gave the housing around the ball-joint a good hard crack with a BFH. Good luck. Be very careful when pressing the new ones in, keep them straight.

I gave up pressing down...I broke (2) screw presses. I am now drilling out the top of the BJ cup...going to push the spindle through the hole...and cut out the cup/housing...no other choice, as I see it...other than trash axle housing...what a PITA.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:47 PM

Default Still drilling

I have not been able to dedicate too much time to the XJ. I am a construction project manager. Denver is so "hot" right now, I am 12hr days. Plus I have a turbo Subaru...which I am currently working with a remote tuner...logs, graphs....I have been focusing there.

I have briefly contemplated pulling the front axle and getting them pressed out @

http://denverspringandsuspension.com/

They do all of my bushing work. We will see.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by traildogck
http://denverspringandsuspension.com/
They do all of my bushing work. We will see.
Those guys make some great custom U-bolts.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=alpine.adrenaline;2852462]Those guys make some great custom U-bolts.[/QUOTE,

They have done great work for me. Great value too, and they stand behind their work. They are used to big rigs, big ton trucks, lifted rigs. they took care of all of the pressing needs for my Subaru OB XT, Stage1 tune...crazy suspension bits. They over-cooked a light steel eye, then it wouldn't hold the new bushing. Their owner, Sarah got personally involved, schooling the shop guys on the heating protocol. Then they/Sarah did me a solid as a consolation. (I neeedd to get a salvage control arm...$70 cost I did not expect.

They rebuilt, and re-arched my Rusty's (6yr old rear leafs) for my XJ, new pds, new center bolt, new "keeper-clamp". All new u-bolts...$75 complete. They definitely paid me back.

Good Business....I can't recommend them enough...I post a link here, right?

Last edited by traildogck; 05-08-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 PM

Default Busted the Nut

So, the passenger side finally gave in. Drilled, cut out. I have 1/32" metal blade valley to fill....JB Weld...not even necessary, but I will still do.

Driver side is going down...pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball Joint Help-busted-nut.jpg   Lower Ball Joint Help-passenger-lwr-bj-clear.jpg  

Last edited by traildogck; 05-12-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Lower Ball Joint Help