Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing weight for better MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 6L
Question Losing weight for better MPG

I have heard if you lose enough weight off of a 99 Jeep Cherokee XJ you can get better gas mileage? If this is true I am looking at doing a complete fiberglass dog house would this make any difference?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

I mean... technically yes, but at what cost? Are you building a long distance racer? If youre able to cut 500lbs, you may see .5-1mpg greater. You can better MPG increases from proper tire size and inflation. And what do you mean "dog house"? The only automotive dog houses im aware of are the engine compartment access from inside the cab of older vans, when there was no room under the 12" long hood. If you mean the entire body, why? and its a unibody. The body helps to hold the frame together. If you remove welded body panels, you need to replace with structure supports, like a cage. **haha.... dog house ... cage...**
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Losing weight will have a positive impact on stop-and-go MPG, but won't have much impact on highway (steady-state) MPG. The biggest factor for steady-state MPG would be aerodynamics, especially at speeds over 45 miles per hour.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by IStoleIt
I mean... technically yes, but at what cost? Are you building a long distance racer? If youre able to cut 500lbs, you may see .5-1mpg greater. You can better MPG increases from proper tire size and inflation. And what do you mean "dog house"? The only automotive dog houses im aware of are the engine compartment access from inside the cab of older vans, when there was no room under the 12" long hood. If you mean the entire body, why? and its a unibody. The body helps to hold the frame together. If you remove welded body panels, you need to replace with structure supports, like a cage. **haha.... dog house ... cage...**
What I'm referring to is a doghouse is the hood and the the right and left outside front quarter panels. Sorry for the confusing old days we called the Dog House on a car. I am doing this because I am a daily driver have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee inline 6 and I'm inheriting from my dad that has been very well taken care of and I'd like to improve on the gas mileage if at all possible
Old 05-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Default In town

In town driving is mainly what I do
Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

What are your current MPG numbers and what numbers are you trying to get ?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Honestly for the work and time involved in all of that, you aren't going to see any difference. I put about 60lbs of tools, some lumber chunks, 2 bottle jacks, a chain and my BMX bike in mine after consistently getting 14mpg. Adding roughly 100 pounds of gear to my XJ it made no difference in my fuel economy

Losing enough weight to actually benefit in the fuel economy department is going to be quite a task
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM

Default In town

Originally Posted by The Joey
What are your current MPG numbers and what numbers are you trying to get ?
In town 14 mpg would like to get 3 to 5 mpg more out of the old girl, Freeway I get about 23 mpg and figure can keep that or get 1 to 2 mpg more after a aftermarket cruise control to keep it at 65 or at least enjoy driving longer
Old 05-10-2018, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

For what it is, the XJs are fairly light. Weigh the hood and fenders, I'd guess no more than 75 lbs for all three pieces. Fiberglass would come in around 20 lbs. That 55 lbs isn't going to make much difference.

Also, you have to look at return on investment. Those glass panels are going to cost at least $300. Assuming you drive 15000 miles a year, at 14 MPG you consume 1071.42 gallons of fuel in a year. 1 MPG increase would save you 71.42 gallons of fuel a year. At $2.50 a gallon, that is $178.55 saved in a year. Not a bad savings, but unfortunately I don't believe the glass front end will net 1 MPG.

I just don't see 500 lbs of dead weight in an XJ to pull. I'm hard pressed to pull 500 lbs out of my 79 Camaro, back when they built cars solid. I put a glass hood on that and shaved damn near 100 lbs.

Last edited by bad_idea; 05-10-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 PM

70 lb hood, 50 lb Back seat, 14 lb finder panels X2 and was told to put aluminum rims and factory size tires on. But I'm seeing this its probably not a good Adventure but I'm so glad I joined this post it is helping me find answers to questions that I was having trouble with. But I'm still keeping the 99 Cherokee I'm on disability and it makes it so much easier to get in and out of with my back, Way better than my 2005 Chrysler Sebring. Plus my dad has taken great care of it mechanically
Old 05-10-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
For what it is, the XJs are fairly light. Weigh the hood and fenders, I'd guess no more than 75 lbs for all three pieces. Fiberglass would come in around 20 lbs. That 55 lbs isn't going to make much difference.

Also, you have to look at return on investment. Those glass panels are going to cost at least $300. Assuming you drive 15000 miles a year, at 14 MPG you consume 1071.42 gallons of fuel in a year. 1 MPG increase would save you 71.42 gallons of fuel a year. At $2.50 a gallon, that is $178.55 saved in a year. Not a bad savings, but unfortunately I don't believe the glass front end will net 1 MPG.

I just don't see 500 lbs of dead weight in an XJ to pull. I'm hard pressed to pull 500 lbs out of my 79 Camaro, back when they built cars solid. I put a glass hood on that and shaved damn near 100 lbs.
70 lb hood, 50 lb Back seat, 14 lb finder panels X2 and was told to put aluminum rims and factory size tires on. But I'm seeing this its probably not a good Adventure but I'm so glad I joined this post it is helping me find answers to questions that I was having trouble with. But I'm still keeping the 99 Cherokee I'm on disability and it makes it so much easier to get in and out of with my back, Way better than my 2005 Chrysler Sebring. Plus my dad has taken great care of it mechanically
Old 05-10-2018, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by RickMc
You could probably get more MPG's by changing how you drive as well. I'm awful at driving eco friendly. Coasting more, accelerating lightly, never fully stopping when pulling to a light if at all possible. Also tune ups and proper tire pressures/sizes. Not usually something I see people going for when discussing a jeep, but I also daily drive mine about 75 miles a day. Welcome and good luck with your XJ.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by RickMc
But I'm seeing this its probably not a good Adventure but I'm so glad I joined this post it is helping me find answers to questions that I was having trouble with.

BTW, welcome to the forum. I hope I didn't come across as rude.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
BTW, welcome to the forum. I hope I didn't come across as rude.
Not at all.
Been after this Jeep for years, again thank you all. it's great to have a place to come to be able to find answers out
Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Well how far do you want to go? I retired mine from DD status to toy status. There is no carpet, no back seat, no interior panels, no headliner, cut the dash in half and there are no dash covers, took out the center console, and removed the A/C and airbag systems.

Total weight removed = 275 lbs.

I'm about to remove the doors too which are from 60 - 80 lbs a piece depending on who you ask. If you want to throw all safety, comfort, and driveability out the window sure 1 MPG increase may be possible.

Quick Reply: Losing weight for better MPG