Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lop-sided Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O
Smile Lop-sided Cherokee

My cherokee has always sat a bit lower on the drivers side than the passengers (RHD) and I just assumed it was due to a sagging leaf spring. This weekend I fired in a set of +3in leafs into the rear but haven't got round to doing the front yet. On closer examination my XJ is still lopsided. There's about an inch (maybe more) difference in height between one side and the other. It's very noticeable from the rear

I also noticed that there's a difference at the front too (currently standard) of about an inch. Same situation, drivers side lower than passengers.

I thought that a new set of leafs would sort it but apparently not!!

Is it possible that a sagging front spring would cause such a difference in the rear or is there some serious problem with my chassis?

Front-end comes apart next weekend BTW but I don't want to be replacing parts ***** nilly as parts for these things are very bloody expensive over here. I don't even want to tell you how much the spacers for the front cost
Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have the same issue.....looking forward to some solutions.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

How did the shackles look when you put in the new springs? Maybe a damaged leaf spring shackle or a worn out bushing...? Have you checked to be sure the driver's side tire isn't under inflated? Also that it is the same size as the other tires... I have seen this happen where a tire shop grabs the wrong size off the shelf.

Hopefully it is something simple... like you said... replacing parts ***** nilly gets expensive...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Shackles looked fine and straight, both are the same length and both tyres on the back are the same. It's definately a suspension related item as I checked the distance from the centre of the wheel to the arch flair and there's a difference.

Next weekend I'm going to swap the two front springs around to see what difference that makes (if any). I read somewhere that Cherokee springs are set-up from the factory to allow for driver weight, I wonder did Jeep have the sense to swap these about when building RHD models? I know that BMW didn't!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000
Engine: 4.0

I have the same drivers side droop on my LHD Cherokee. If the springs sagging caused the unibody to twist, it would switch to the pass side being lower with new springs. I may try re-arching my springs and putting a little more curve in the driver's side than the pasanger's.

Please let us know what you find out.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

Originally Posted by Coog
Shackles looked fine and straight, both are the same length and both tyres on the back are the same. It's definately a suspension related item as I checked the distance from the centre of the wheel to the arch flair and there's a difference.

Next weekend I'm going to swap the two front springs around to see what difference that makes (if any). I read somewhere that Cherokee springs are set-up from the factory to allow for driver weight, I wonder did Jeep have the sense to swap these about when building RHD models? I know that BMW didn't!
What about the bushing on the shackle? Not sure how the RHD cherokee is set but when I replaced the springs on my Jeep they where exactly the same.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 ltr

most of us where lob sided lol
i think its got somthing to do with a lift, and the tie ??? rod you go up in lift it pulls the axle in the one direction, so disconect and re drill or extend as appropriate, seams to fix it??
Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM

There was new bushes on the springs and the shackle bushes seemed grand. Looking at the shackles and comparing one side to the other there's the same length of shackle hanging down at each side (around 2.5in).

Yes mate I know what you're saying but she was lop sided before the lift lol I thought it was just a sagging leaf...
Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sluggy
most of us where lob sided lol
i think its got somthing to do with a lift, and the tie ??? rod you go up in lift it pulls the axle in the one direction, so disconect and re drill or extend as appropriate, seams to fix it??
Would this ring true if only the rear was lifted though? I haven't got round to doing the front yet (dragster style at the moment lol).
Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

hmm that is strange min ewas only loppy after the lift?

there is somthing i read, but cant remember that bieng rhd causes it, but dont think its the springs, i will look on rnr to see if they know why.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanks pal, much appreciated
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

no probs,
on my last cherokee i did a cheap lift of diesel springs [same lenght but harder and 1 extra coil] and a budget lifting block on the front. that only set me back about £100 for the lot.and lifted it nicely and gave it a good ride.
it ran 31's and then never caught.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Aye I managed to lift my last one using a second hand pro-comp lift kit off eBay for something like £120 all in. It's costing me considerably more this time round but I'm buying new stuff instead of going for used kit. Want to do it properly and this lop-sided lark is going to drive me mental lol :P

Didn't even think about the DERV springs. Take it the VM is heavier than the 4.0 then? Was considering Grand cherokee springs for a while there but then didn't want to ruin flex with harder springs so decided to go with a spacer instead. Looks like I could possibly end up buying springs!!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

i must admit sometimes buying new makes sence as you know the history.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

stock tracbar? stock one will cause the axle to pull to one side. mine sits level all around with about 3" of lift but that could cause it.

Quick Reply: Lop-sided Cherokee