Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into Bumpers and winches need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Looking into Bumpers and winches need some advice.

First off here is my Jeep: 2000, RE 3.5", 31x10.5 BFG's

And here is the Bumper that I am looking into: Nates 4X4 Slimline Recessed winch bumper. here is a link http://nates4x4.com/catalog/product_...products_id=77

I like the looks and hear good things. I just need some reassurance...likes or dislikes.

I don't know much about winches. I have never had one. But doing the research it seems like with Warn you are just paying for the name. I like Smittybilt XRC-10 and Rough Country 9500. but like I said I have ZERO experience with winches so some help in this area would be nice. (what are you guys running with?)

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Forgot the pictures
Attached Thumbnails Looking into Bumpers and winches need some advice.-jeep-small.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bellkrank
First off here is my Jeep: 2000, RE 3.5", 31x10.5 BFG's

And here is the Bumper that I am looking into: Nates 4X4 Slimline Recessed winch bumper. here is a link http://nates4x4.com/catalog/product_...products_id=77

I like the looks and hear good things. I just need some reassurance...likes or dislikes.

I don't know much about winches. I have never had one. But doing the research it seems like with Warn you are just paying for the name. I like Smittybilt XRC-10 and Rough Country 9500. but like I said I have ZERO experience with winches so some help in this area would be nice. (what are you guys running with?)

Thanks.
The bumper looks good, what made you pick that bumper? I didn't check all the specs on the bumper, but as long as you like it and it isn't built to light or to heavy it should be fine.

As for winches, no you aren't just paying for a name, with a Warn you are buying something that will last, I've been wheeling for over 35 years and I buy Warn winches. The reason I buy the best is because I've never had a Warn not work. They have a lifetime warranty, and with a little maintenance will last long enough to hand down to your kids.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
The bumper looks good, what made you pick that bumper? I didn't check all the specs on the bumper, but as long as you like it and it isn't built to light or to heavy it should be fine.

As for winches, no you aren't just paying for a name, with a Warn you are buying something that will last, I've been wheeling for over 35 years and I buy Warn winches. The reason I buy the best is because I've never had a Warn not work. They have a lifetime warranty, and with a little maintenance will last long enough to hand down to your kids.
Well to tell you the truth just the looks and the price. I like the brush guard, the recessed winch and the clearance for the tiers (looking into running 33's)
as for the specs... I tried to look on there website but it doesn't have much there so I will call them on Monday. what are some things to look for? how much weight?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Looks good.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000,1990,1999

Originally Posted by Rock Toy

X2.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

have you looked at the landlfabrication.com bumpers?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Year: 99

Originally Posted by Metmknice
have you looked at the landlfabrication.com bumpers?
+1 I picked up one from him on Friday - installed it later in the day and worth every dollar!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Looks nice! Do you guys have some pictures with it on your rigs?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM

I just found the thread on that bumper... I think I still like the Nates a little more. I'm still going to search for some more pictures of both. And get the specs on the Nates.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 6 Cyl

Please contact Daniel from Karnagemetalfab. He sells on ebay and his work is second to none. The bumper shown on ebay is just one example of what he makes. Give him a list of what your looking for and he will custom build a bumper for your specific needs. He kept me updated through the entire process and the quailty of his work is world class.

This is an example of what my bumper looks like and he made a matching rear bumper and swing arm tire carrier. All there were customized to what I asked for, built in lights, winch plate, jerry can holders, welded in D rings, light tabs etc..
The bumpers need to be painted and I had mine powder coated at a local body shop.
Front

Rear

Last edited by gettin_dirty_with_ruby; 10-09-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Bumper looks nice, re-visit your opinion of Warn winches after you have owned one awhile.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM

After doing a lot of looking around last night I am having some second thoughts on the bumpers... I think that the nates bumper is going to stick out a lot farther than a winch mounted on top like the L&L or like a JCR. I tryed looking for side pictures but couldn't find much on any of the bumpers. any one have good pictures or thoughts on this.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Year: 1998
Default winch

weve been having awesome luck with superwinch .. done 4 lp8500 winches and all our customers love them...
ive got one on order for my rig...

look at little leonards bumpers in the vendor section.. ive got one and love it...
Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by irishgunslinger1
weve been having awesome luck with superwinch .. done 4 lp8500 winches and all our customers love them...
ive got one on order for my rig...

look at little leonards bumpers in the vendor section.. ive got one and love it...
Thanks for the info on winches I will check them out.

I keep going back to little leonards bumpers I am starting to like them more and more every time I see the.

i found a good side pic of a L & L
Attached Thumbnails Looking into Bumpers and winches need some advice.-l-l.jpg  

Quick Reply: Looking into Bumpers and winches need some advice.