Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Arm Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Long Arm Upgrade Help

Hey everyone - I need some help determining which long arm kit to go with. I'll try to be brief and list current set up and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I bought the jeep with a 4.5" lift on it that needs to be replaced (ride quality and off road capabilities suck). I have 33x12.50s with no fenders and t-case drop at the moment with no issues. I've determined to just purchase a full long arm kit to replace whatever is currently on the jeep. I've read on just about every jeep forum about Clayton, Serious, Iron Rock, RE, RC, and Rock Krawler. What I can't figure out is whether I should go with a 3-link or radius. I'm new to suspension talk so please be as non-technical as possible.

My goals are be able to daily drive it and also take it off road to trails with a combination of rock and mud. I am not planning to be indestructible but I would like all around capabilities. Staying at 4.5" would be ideal, but going up an 1" won't matter. Price is a consideration since I will be needing armor, sye, driveshaft, and frame stiffeners I'm sure. With that in mind, can someone help provide a recommendation and why?

Thanks!!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm saving for Clayton, and in the same situation as you basically.. I have a 4.5" RC lift with drop brackets.

I want a three link because of additional security. I've never seen/heard of a radius arm failing, but it only connects to unibody at 2 spots, seems a third would be better. On top of the unloading issue which may or may not actually be an issue.

I'm kind of stuck with Clayton (which isn't a bad thing other than price) because of the way the previous owner build the rock rails. I can't use a cross-member that wraps around so my options are limited.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

TnT is also a great option. I believe they sell a 3 (or 4) link and radius arm kits. I am currently in the process of installing the radius arm kit.

The biggest difference between 3/4 link and radius arms is that with radius arms the axle turns forward when the suspension droops, whereas 3/4 links the axle stays closer to the correct castor angle

I like TnT because they have the highest clearance kit, but any reputable brand will do te trick. I'd stay away from Rough Country just because it's Rough Country. I also am not a fan I the IRO long arms; nothing against IRO, they're great, just not their long arms.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Year: 2001

if you want well built and easy install. clayton offroad is your answer. i have had 2 of there long arm kits have never failed me
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

another positive thing about a 3 link is that it doesn't unload like radius arms do

but the only time I've ever experienced unloading is when the front end was way up high climbing a ledge and leaning way back. the front end would sway and want to push the jeep back end over end. and I mean waaayyy steep ledges. so if you're not planning on those sort of climbs you should be great with radius arms. no reason to go to a 3 link on a D30 in my opinion.

serious offroad or TNT if you're going radius. they have the best belly/tcase protection out the gate last time I checked. belly protection is so important if you want to play in the rocks. and seriousoffroad is actually affordable

don't get IRO or RC. it's an investment. get something that's going to last you a good while.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by hoaxci5
I want a three link because of additional security. I've never seen/heard of a radius arm failing, but it only connects to unibody at 2 spots, seems a third would be better.
3 spots gives 3 things to break. 2 spots only has 2.

Most of the ones I have seen don't have truly independent unit body connections anyway.

I would still go 3 link but not for this reason.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:20 PM

I don't really plan to do anything super steep, but if I want to I would like to be able to. I mean the difference in price between a radius arm and 3 link kit isn't too much is it? Seems worth the investment if it's not much different in price. Between tnt and Clayton which do you all recommend?

One of the other things I've been trying to figure out is if frame stiffeners would cause any issues when installing a long arm?

The thing with Clayton is that their 3 link is a 6.5" lift. Think it's possible to make it not as tall?
-Ben

Last edited by osinrider04; 09-04-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

I was running TNT arms at 4.5" of lift. I don't think you'll have a problem running any arms at that height. Worst case it will just push your front end forward a bit. I think. Isn't the Clayton kit a weld on truss? If you have a welder and feel like spending the money then yeah.. I'd look at RK. I think they just utilize the factory upper

Still. Radius arms are fine too. I can almost promise you won't encounter a problem with unloading. A 3 link is definitely better, but there's no problem running radius arms. Do whatever you can install that is in your price range. Don't feel like you need to spend $900-$1200.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:11 AM

One of the things I didn't mention is that I don't have access to a welder. I can probably find some help local to me to help with a kit install but I don't know any welders and I have zero experience doing it myself. Serious sells a long arm upgrade kit that is a bolt on kit. Any opinions on going that route? It's certainly way cheaper than buying a complete kit.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Atmos
I was running TNT arms at 4.5" of lift. I don't think you'll have a problem running any arms at that height. Worst case it will just push your front end forward a bit. I think. Isn't the Clayton kit a weld on truss? If you have a welder and feel like spending the money then yeah.. I'd look at RK. I think they just utilize the factory upper

Still. Radius arms are fine too. I can almost promise you won't encounter a problem with unloading. A 3 link is definitely better, but there's no problem running radius arms. Do whatever you can install that is in your price range. Don't feel like you need to spend $900-$1200.
The RK kit uses the factory driver's side upper axle side mount with a flex joint in it.

Originally Posted by osinrider04
One of the things I didn't mention is that I don't have access to a welder. I can probably find some help local to me to help with a kit install but I don't know any welders and I have zero experience doing it myself. Serious sells a long arm upgrade kit that is a bolt on kit. Any opinions on going that route? It's certainly way cheaper than buying a complete kit.
Nothing wrong with Serious' long arms other than I don't care for radius arms but for no more than you're planning to do then it sounds like a good plan to me.

FWIW, I run the RK 3-link.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I have the Serious long arms. Great upgrade for me. Easy to install and very well built, not to mention excellent customer service.
If you want to go that route, I highly recommend them.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 98XJ40K
I have the Serious long arms. Great upgrade for me. Easy to install and very well built, not to mention excellent customer service.
If you want to go that route, I highly recommend them.
Any issue or downside to the long arms being a bolt on versus other kits that are welded? Also, can you post any pix of your kit in action?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Originally Posted by Atmos
no reason to go to a 3 link on a D30 in my opinion.
I agree with this 100%. I feel like if you aren't wheeling hard enough to need something stronger than a d30, you probably don't need a 3 link. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE 3 links but, for the money, the Serious Offroad long arms would be great. Plus, Frank is an awesome dude to deal with and has the best customer service I've ever experienced.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Any issue or downside to the long arms being a bolt on versus other kits that are welded?
no downside really. especially at the D30 level. you're overthinking it. serious long arms are already 10x better than what you have and they're plenty good enough for what you're doing. just place your order and call it a day
Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Any issue or downside to the long arms being a bolt on versus other kits that are welded? Also, can you post any pix of your kit in action?
Completely agree with Atmos above. I haven't had any problems.
Don't have any great pics, but here is one from the last trip.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140905_120108.png
Views: 627
Size:  583.3 KB

Quick Reply: Long Arm Upgrade Help