Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lokka differential automatic lockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lokka differential automatic lockers

Good or bad? And has anybody tried them?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

They say they have been sold as Aussie lockers that everybody raves about.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

Yeah they are Aussies, they just don't call them Aussie lockers in Australia. That's where the different name comes from. I don't know if they were on the market in Australia before the US?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I have the Aussie in my C 8.25 (29 spline) and love it. It was a very easy install and works exactly as you would expect. Only hear a little ratcheting on tight turns.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 98XJ40K
I have the Aussie in my C 8.25 (29 spline) and love it. It was a very easy install and works exactly as you would expect. Only hear a little ratcheting on tight turns.

You locked front and rear with aussies? Or just rear?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: I6

I have an Aussie in my 8.8 and a Spartan in my Dana 30... I don't have any complaints on either... The Spartan was easier to install but I would recommend both
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM

well that answered most of nothing
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Aussie in the front is the way to go. Not even noticeable in 2wd. I would run a selectable in the rear.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by HudsonN

You locked front and rear with aussies? Or just rear?
Just the rear for now (still 2wd). Just bought a donor XJ for my conversion, will definitely be locking the front when complete.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM

LOKKA fitting is not suitable for On-Road use for the following applications:
  1. Rear of EFi gasoline with Manual Transmission
  2. Rear of EFi diesel with Full Time 4x4 with Manual Transmission
  3. For any OEM factory Diff Lock hemisphere
  4. Front of All Wheel Drive (AWD/SUV) or Full Time 4x4 vehicles without Part Time 4x4 Conversion Kit for On-Road
  5. Front of any vehicle without either Free Wheel Hubs or an Axle Disconnect mechanism
  6. Many USA and Japanese manufactured vehicles are Global due to their wide exportation. However some models have 'country specific' differentials fitted
  7. Gear to Goannawhere has made every effort to the accuracy of the information provided, but does not accept any liability for errors or omissions
this 4,5 and 6 concerns me. but my 93 xj only has part time 4x4. like when u put it in 4wd it says: part time. and the kits warns about on road use without part time 4wd option. im just worried about driving in the winter mainly, or what will happen when its in 4wd and im on hot top? P.S this is for the front diff, and the kits warns about front diff on hot top without part time 4wd option.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just saw these the other day. I think I'm gonna give them a try when I'm ready to order my front locker. I have a Richmond Power Trax Lock-Right in the rear and its been good. Looks to be made the same.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

Originally Posted by countryaw4
LOKKA fitting is not suitable for On-Road use for the following applications:
[*]Rear of EFi gasoline with Manual Transmission[*]Rear of EFi diesel with Full Time 4x4 with Manual Transmission[*]For any OEM factory Diff Lock hemisphere[*]Front of All Wheel Drive (AWD/SUV) or Full Time 4x4 vehicles without Part Time 4x4 Conversion Kit for On-Road[*]Front of any vehicle without either Free Wheel Hubs or an Axle Disconnect mechanism[*]Many USA and Japanese manufactured vehicles are Global due to their wide exportation. However some models have 'country specific' differentials fitted[*]Gear to Goannawhere has made every effort to the accuracy of the information provided, but does not accept any liability for errors or omissions

this 4,5 and 6 concerns me. but my 93 xj only has part time 4x4. like when u put it in 4wd it says: part time. and the kits warns about on road use without part time 4wd option. im just worried about driving in the winter mainly, or what will happen when its in 4wd and im on hot top? P.S this is for the front diff, and the kits warns about front diff on hot top without part time 4wd option.
Don't use 4wd in high traction situations or ON road if you put this locker in the front end of your xj. The good news is that you don't have to anyways, nobody does. Lots of people put this style of locker up front in their XJs and have no problems
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Same thing that you risk with an NP231 on pavement anyway, just worse. Shift out of 4H like you're supposed to and you'll be fine
Old 04-05-2013, 05:18 AM

So what does it ruin when u do run it in high traction.? Like I'm all sketch out about went your on dry ground just before u hit the hole and put it in 4wd. Like I'm not going to driver into hell hole mud pit in 2wd and be like "oh, I'm in a low traction situation....now I can put it in 4wd...oh frigg I'm still stuck!" (But I'm probably just worrying too much about it-thinking too much into it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

So what does it ruin when u do run it in high traction.? Like I'm all sketch out about went your on dry ground just before u hit the hole and put it in 4wd. Like I'm not going to driver into hell hole mud pit in 2wd and be like "oh, I'm in a low traction situation....now I can put it in 4wd...oh frigg I'm still stuck!" (But I'm probably just worrying too much about it-thinking too much into it.
high traction means having traction- If your on pavement you don't need 4wd. In the snow/mud you may not have much traction.

It sounds like your a little bit of a novice. Your best bet is going to be go
off-roading and learn. Once you know how your rig acts then work on upgrades. A locker for someone that doesn't understand all the situations will most likely only lead you to getting stuck or worse breaking more parts. Recovery should be your first step. Ie. winch. Just remember this "A Locker is great going Straight" When you get stuck with a locker generally is worse than if you were open. It wont ruin anything is you are careful. I live in the south so when I put my rig in 4-wheel drive its for off road use only. I only take it out during a ride if I hit pavement.

Quick Reply: Lokka differential automatic lockers