Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lockouts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default lockouts?

I have a 91 XJ 4.0L and I wanted to get lockouts for the front. Called around and they only make a conversion kit from randys ring & pinion for $1,400. Not looking to spend more then I paid for the rig, so does anyone have an idea how to go about this cheaper? like maybe getting a different front axle? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

You can get aftermarket knuckles from Reid racing and use dana 44 parts from i think a chevy d44 to get larger disc brakes and lock outs. Check it out: http://www.reidracing.biz/off-road-p...-44-knuckles-2.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

why do you want lockouts so bad?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0l

Hooopper: So I don't have the front spinning all the time. I don't have all time 4wheel, butt since my front drive shaft broke and I pulled it I have been getting great gas milage and want to keep it.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Hoooper
why do you want lockouts so bad?
Why have the axles, ring and pinion, driveshaft and transfer case chain all spinning while you are on highway and in 2 wheel drive.
It's called parasitic drag and it does eat up gas mileage.

The only reason jeep and others went to live axles and transfer cases is the majority of the people purchasing these vehicle were too f'n lazy to get out in the mud or snow and turn the selector on their axles.

This laziness comes at a price and that is ujoints that wear out faster then they need to as well as everything else thats spinning all the time. Again at the cost of gas mileage.
Ask anyone who has owned a 2 wheel drive Cherokee (like I have) and they will tell you the mileage is MUCH better in the 2 wheel versus the 4 wheel.
And too all those that are going to start the standard "Well if you wanted mileage you should have bought a prius" crap. All I can say is, it must be nice to be so f'n rich that you can look down on all your Cherokee brothers.
Whats wrong with wanting to have fun in your XJ and get the best mileage you can so you can afford all the goodies that keep your wheeling brothers in business?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Taekwondemers
Hooopper: So I don't have the front spinning all the time. I don't have all time 4wheel, butt since my front drive shaft broke and I pulled it I have been getting great gas milage and want to keep it.
doesnt make any sense. the only part of your drivetrain that isnt spinning now that was before is the driveshaft
Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I6

doesnt make any sense. the only part of your drivetrain that isnt spinning now that was before is the driveshaft
Um...no, lock-outs will also stop the axle shafts and the ring/pinion from spinning.

Edit: Nevermind, I read it wrong...
Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

by the way how do you think the spinning driveshaft gets your wheels to turn ?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jamie57
Why have the axles, ring and pinion, driveshaft and transfer case chain all spinning while you are on highway and in 2 wheel drive.
It's called parasitic drag and it does eat up gas mileage.

The only reason jeep and others went to live axles and transfer cases is the majority of the people purchasing these vehicle were too f'n lazy to get out in the mud or snow and turn the selector on their axles.

Or because lockouts are less reliable and more likely to break than their counterparts, obviously because there is nothing to break

This laziness comes at a price and that is ujoints that wear out faster then they need to as well as everything else thats spinning all the time. Again at the cost of gas mileage.

not really, axles, u-joints, gears, etc have been going for more than 200k miles without replacement on a whole lot of vehicles. I bet your lockout hubs will need a rebuild before 200k

Ask anyone who has owned a 2 wheel drive Cherokee (like I have) and they will tell you the mileage is MUCH better in the 2 wheel versus the 4 wheel.
And too all those that are going to start the standard "Well if you wanted mileage you should have bought a prius" crap. All I can say is, it must be nice to be so f'n rich that you can look down on all your Cherokee brothers. (WTF? got complex?)
Whats wrong with wanting to have fun in your XJ and get the best mileage you can so you can afford all the goodies that keep your wheeling brothers in business?

buying several hundred dollars worth of goodies to convert your d30 axle to lockout hubs would buy you a heck of a lot of gas at 2MPG (rated 1 MPG city 2 MPG highway better) the reason 2wds get SO MUCH BETTER mileage is because you rarely see one with big tires, lift, skids, bumpers, etc. the axle makes a difference of course though
if you dont wheel your cherokee, swap in a 2wd axle for $150 from the junkyard, save yourself more $ and even more MPG

Last edited by Hoooper; 12-01-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

by the way how do you think the spinning driveshaft gets your wheels to turn ?
seriously? he is driving in 2wd right now without lockout hubs, that means that from the tires to the front axle yoke are still live, the only thing missing is the DS. its pretty clear
Old 12-01-2011, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

seriously? he is driving in 2wd right now without lockout hubs, that means that from the tires to the front axle yoke are still live, the only thing missing is the DS. its pretty clear
no the axles and the ring and pinion are still turning.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

no the axles and the ring and pinion are still turning.
it seems english is your second (or maybe fourth) language
Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

if you dont wheel your cherokee, swap in a 2wd axle for $150 from the junkyard, save yourself more $ and even more MPG
If I only did things to my XJ just to calculate the return on investment like you are then I'd never do anything at all.
Don't you ever do something just because it's different? or maybe JUST BECAUSE you like it.
Why are there so many pages in the Junk yard parts thread?
I've got all the parts to do the Disc Brake conversion.
Will I see 1 dime of that investment returned in gas milage alone?
Doubt it but I'm going to do it anyways because there are more things I LIKE about it then I don't.
quite being a killjoy.
He asked for help not your opinion.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0

Not worth the effort for very little mpg gain.

Quick Reply: lockouts?