Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers - Selectable vs Detroit locker with ax15 for weekend jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lockers - Selectable vs Detroit locker with ax15 for weekend jeep

I'm going to regear and plan on installing a rear locker at the same time.

I have an AX15 (manual) transmission and C8.25 rear end.

Front axle has a Lockrite lunchbox installed. I plan to leave it as is.

The XJ lives at a weekend house in the SoCal desert and sees dirt roads, some sand, and some rocks. I drive to the dirt.

No snow, no mud.

Most of the local pavement is mountainous, Lots of twists and turns on grades.

With the C8.25, I think my choices are pretty limited:

Selectable:
-ARB
-OX

Auto
-Detroit

Disadvantages for the selectable are:
- cost
- requires full time air available
- more complicated install

Disadvantages for the Detroit
- Always locked when on the gas or off the gas (engine braking)

Everything I have read suggests the Detroit will be more annoying with the manual since the locker will be less likely to unlock just because I ease up on the gas. I can picture this being painful on twisty ascents/descents.

This isn't a DD though and I'm willing to live with only OK on the pavement in exchange really good off road.

For those of you with a manual transmision, what do you think of the detroit?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

If I was in your shoes, I'd get the Detroit. You'll get used to driving a locked rear with a stick. It's different, but not painful.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Year: 2000

What about a cable locker? Selectable, but manually engaged with no electronics or air
Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I do NOT have your transmission but just finished a front and rear D30HP and .8.25 using Detroit Lockers. They have been about a week now and I'm well pleased with them.

This is not funny but I had the ARB's for mine and my son wanted them so I traded him for these. Last weekend we went out 4 wheeling I was in the lead, it was wet and I got stuck early in 2WD even with the rear locker but 4WD it came out easily. My son tried it also with just 4WD and got stuck engaged the arb's and moved about 6' and the wheels started spinning......The air compressor had thrown craps, fuses were good but no go we have sent it in lol. At least I had a winch and we enjoyed the day.

Just goes to show you even with good products problems can and do happen at times. It was just one of those KISS things we all should strive for.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
What about a cable locker? Selectable, but manually engaged with no electronics or air
Cable is an option for the OX. I think it is a little more expensive than the air option (ignoring the cost of the air source).

I view the cable install and maintenance as a PITA.

I need to do something about air anyway as my HF cheapy is really slow. A better portable would be a good option for me if I don't get an air locker though.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Harbor Freight sells a good one as well (The big silver one that connects to your battery cables.)... Only takes about 20 seconds to refill mine after deflating them. Their little black air box sucks terribly haha.

I have no had any problems with my ARB- It works great. I wrapped the air line in convoluted tubing to avoid any punctures/tears- Guts have held up well. The detroits also seem to hold up great. I think you would be fine either way.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

I'd go with the Detroit. Selectable lockers have more to go wrong, Detroit is reliable. Most of my wheeling is tight trails and rocks, with a Lock Rite up front and welded rear, it does just fine.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp on your needs vs. functionality of these lockers. we can sit here and vote on it all day but in the end you'll go with whatever is most reasonable for you. I've heard the detroit is a little clunky with the AX15 as well. I still can't bring myself buy a selectable locker after how much I enjoyed the thoughtless and smooth traction I got from my detroit. maybe some day I'll pony up and get one. but then agian I've always been stuck with a stupid Aw4

whatever you do, make sure it's the 29 spline version. time for an upgrade, and the 27 spline stuff won't hold it's resale value with a crap
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Atmos
sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp on your needs vs. functionality of these lockers. we can sit here and vote on it all day but in the end you'll go with whatever is most reasonable for you. I've heard the detroit is a little clunky with the AX15 as well. I still can't bring myself buy a selectable locker after how much I enjoyed the thoughtless and smooth traction I got from my detroit. maybe some day I'll pony up and get one. but then agian I've always been stuck with a stupid Aw4
If I had the aw4, I would have already ordered the Detroit.

Originally Posted by Atmos
whatever you do, make sure it's the 29 spline version. time for an upgrade, and the 27 spline stuff won't hold it's resale value with a crap
I'm planning on a full case locker and 29 spline alloy shafts.

Since I'm going to replace the bearings and seals also, I'm really only reusing the housing, yoke, and a few bolts....
Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 PM

DETROIT, the D stands for dependable.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Detroit.
My bros got one in his blazer. Came with a 14 bolt he bought for it. Original 1985 ff 14 bolt came factory with a Detroit on the military cucv trucks. He bought the axle put 37's on it and beats the heck out of it. I can barely feel it back there when I ride in it.
I'll be putting one in my 8.8 I just swapped in
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Considered the Truetrac LSD in the rear?

It's what I'm considering since I also have the AX-15 (DD here though).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/912A553-Detroit-Truetrac-Chrysler-8-25-29-Spline-Jeep-Dodge-/181321341616?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a37981ab0&vxp=mtr

Last edited by MirageMobile; 03-11-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

I agree the Detroit will be annoying with the Ax-15. I think chromos are over kill for your circumstances right now, I haven't had a problem on 35's in the rocks.

No one in my club has had a problem with their ARB's. That would be my choice for the $$.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
My son tried it also with just 4WD and got stuck engaged the arb's and moved about 6' and the wheels started spinning......The air compressor had thrown craps, fuses were good but no go we have sent it in lol. At least I had a winch and we enjoyed the day
A big plus for the OX is that with the 24 dollar drive away lock you will never have to worry about being SOL if your air compressor goes out.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
I I think chromos are over kill for your circumstances right now, I haven't had a problem on 35's in the rocks.
I'll probably get the yukon 1541H alloy axles. They aren't particularly expensive and I have to get something since my existing axles are 29 spline.

I looked into this a little more. 1541H steel is going to be better than OEM but not as strong as the 4000 series cro-moly steels.

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
No one in my club has had a problem with their ARB's. That would be my choice for the $$.
I'm leaning toward the ox. They are a little cheaper and you get an upgraded diff cover as a bonus.

Also, I read that the ARBs sometimes require pulling for maintenance. The c8.25 uses adjusters rather than shims so this means re-adjusting the backlash every time which is more work. I also think it is a undesirable to change the backlash at all after the gears have broken in.

Last edited by sreeb; 03-11-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Lockers - Selectable vs Detroit locker with ax15 for weekend jeep