Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker Advice Dana 30

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Locker Advice Dana 30

I've pretty much settled on getting an Aussie, but what else do I need to get? New gasket? New cross shaft? What all do I need to know?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I am a big fan of the Lube Locker gasket. I have had mine for about 2 years and it's still sealing great plus you don't have to worry about messing around with Rtv. You shouldn't need a new cross shaft but you won't know till you pull it. Oh and don't forget gear oil.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Cross shaft isn't necessary but recommended. I don't use gaskets personally, just RTV, because I change my gear dope at least every other ride. A synthetic blend or full synthetic will make it a little quieter but again not necessary. Enjoy your very improved traction. I ran Aussies front and rear for years without any problems and loved them.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
I am a big fan of the Lube Locker gasket. I have had mine for about 2 years and it's still sealing great.
if you plan on dragging it over rocks I'd use it with a ruffstuff diff cover.

oh, my addition to the list is a ruffstuff cover. protect your investment. have fun bashing rocks

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Cross shaft isn't necessary but recommended.
yep this ended up being the failing point on my aussie. snap. would've replaced it with this
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-713...n-spartan.html
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Yea second the no gasket. No problems. Just use black rtv.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Atmos
if you plan on dragging it over rocks I'd use it with a ruffstuff diff cover.

oh, my addition to the list is a ruffstuff cover. protect your investment. have fun bashing rocks
I almost went with the ruff stuff cover but ended up cheaping out and getting the one from bad apple fab. I don't play on the rocks much but it has saved my butt a few times.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:20 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4L

I love my lockright in my dana 30 it was cheep only $240 and it came with a new hardened cross pin.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
I am a big fan of the Lube Locker gasket. I have had mine for about 2 years and it's still sealing great plus you don't have to worry about messing around with Rtv. You shouldn't need a new cross shaft but you won't know till you pull it. Oh and don't forget gear oil.
Cross shaft isn't necessary but recommended. I don't use gaskets personally, just RTV, because I change my gear dope at least every other ride. A synthetic blend or full synthetic will make it a little quieter but again not necessary. Enjoy your very improved traction. I ran Aussies front and rear for years without any problems and loved them.
Aight, so fill me in. What is RTV? Why do one of you prefer a gasket and one of you prefer RTV?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM

RTV is really just a silicone seal for automotive application. I use it on my diffs.

I upgraded my 8.25 to an Aussie about a year and a half ago. I had a lockright in my f150. Minor differences in design, both function identically.

Haven't gotten around to the front, been thinking about going with something selectable. Heard of guys not being too fond of lunch boxes when driving in snow with 4wd engaged.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by RedStar
Aight, so fill me in. What is RTV? Why do one of you prefer a gasket and one of you prefer RTV?
Originally Posted by xjzaped
RTV is really just a silicone seal for automotive application. I use it on my diffs.
^This. I used RTV for a long time and it works great. But I go through a lot of mud and I am constantly changing out my diff fluid, usually once ever 3-4 months. If you pull your diff cover off enough you will get sick and tired of scrapping off RTV. So I went with the Lubelocker, which is essentially a gasket that doesnt require the use of RTV. RTV is fine and works great, it just wasn't for me.

Here is a link to show the difference between it and a regular "paper" gasket.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52416_104.htm
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I just wonder how well the lubelocker would hold up to the edge getting scraped over rocks. Unless it's smaller than the pumpkin it would and my rear is shaved so it'd deff see some rock love.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Member

I guess my thing is, I don't really do anything that extreme. I want a locker because it's fairly cheap all things considered, and it greatly increases what I can do when I'm offroad.

I use my Jeep for getting to hard to reach campsites and/or taking my kayaks as close to the water as I possibly can. I'm not climbing mountains or anything. I'd like to have a locker in case I need it, which is ultimately why I'm going with the auto Powertrax No Slip. It's invisible in 2WD, but will get me where I need to go in 4WD.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Member

I just wonder how well the lubelocker would hold up to the edge getting scraped over rocks. Unless it's smaller than the pumpkin it would and my rear is shaved so it'd deff see some rock love.
I have a diff guard on mine, but I don't believe it pokes out around any of the edges. I'll take a look when I have some free time and let you know though.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by RedStar
I guess my thing is, I don't really do anything that extreme. I want a locker because it's fairly cheap all things considered, and it greatly increases what I can do when I'm offroad.

I use my Jeep for getting to hard to reach campsites and/or taking my kayaks as close to the water as I possibly can. I'm not climbing mountains or anything. I'd like to have a locker in case I need it, which is ultimately why I'm going with the auto Powertrax No Slip. It's invisible in 2WD, but will get me where I need to go in 4WD.
I have a normal Aussie in mine (which is nearly identical to the Lock Right). I haven't been bothered by the normal auto locker function in my Jeep. Barely hear it clicking. When I had the lock right in my F150, it would get herkey jerky on some corners if I didn't press disengage the clutch but I've never realized it with the auto in the XJ.