Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a little suspension trouble please help

Old 12-26-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default a little suspension trouble please help

hey everyone i have a 3 inch rough country lift with stock springs and for some reason the cherokee sits a tad lopsided to the passenger side, not very noticeable but as soon as someone sits in the passenger you can see that it gets worse. my friends that have sat in the seat are lighter then me and im only 190 lbs. so its not because my friends are fat. i feel i need to change the springs but im not 100% sure so id like to hear what you guys think first. its not the tires and if i make a fist and put my thumb on top it just fits on the passenger side but if i do the same thing on the driver side i have a huge gap in between my hand and the fender. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Year: '93
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)

I'd like to hear what people think might be wrong, too. I've got the same lift (most likely since mine's a 3" RC as well), but mine leans to the driver side. Left side leaf spring it pretty much level, but arches up right at the axle mount. Right side is good! Bought and installed at the exact same time, so there shouldn't be problems!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

A lot are a little uneven from the engine torquing the unibody.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread, but mine started leaning just recently, within the last few days. I think I'm going to do a bastard pack for the rears and coil spacers in the front to get 4.5" approx.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJPat
A lot are a little uneven from the engine torquing the unibody.
this is probably the case

or you could swap the springs to the opposite side to see if the driver side leans
Old 12-27-2013, 01:32 AM

I just might do that tomorrow....What does "torquing the body" mean? Is it damaging?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:29 AM

Thats a good idea about the springs. Just didnt want to waste my time if someone knew that it couldnt be the springs. Mine is the front so its not the leafs for those who suggeated that but thanks everyone im going to do that tomorrow and let you know how it goes
Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 AM

I was looking at springs online and i found the Rancho Front Coil Spring Kit but it says 2" lift springs. Does that mean its meant to use with a 2" lift or it provides a 2" lift and could i use them as a replacement or are there other springs i should look at?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:19 AM

Nvm lol i just bought moog springs, im sure there not top of the line but they were pretty cheap and they said there direct replacement and a couple people said some good things about them, plus i dont plan on doing anything too crazy with my jeep so i hope theyll be fine lol
Old 12-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by TwoXJS
What does "torquing the body" mean? Is it damaging?
since the xj is unibody construction, there is no "frame", the engine is mounted to the body
the "torquing" is the engine twisting the body itself, especially when off-road
if it gets to be a problem over time, you may notice cracks in the door pillars or the doors and tailgate might not line up/shut right
they do make frame/body stiffeners to help prevent it
Old 12-27-2013, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Pchris
hey everyone i have a 3 inch rough country lift with stock springs and for some reason the cherokee sits a tad lopsided to the passenger side, not very noticeable but as soon as someone sits in the passenger you can see that it gets worse. my friends that have sat in the seat are lighter then me and im only 190 lbs. so its not because my friends are fat. i feel i need to change the springs but im not 100% sure so id like to hear what you guys think first. its not the tires and if i make a fist and put my thumb on top it just fits on the passenger side but if i do the same thing on the driver side i have a huge gap in between my hand and the fender. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Did all the rubber bushings get loosened while installing the lift and then re tightened with the weigh of vehicle on them?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 PM

^ im not sure i didnt install the lift it was on when i bought the jeep but i can check, but at this point i feel if they werent tightened they are ruined by now
Old 12-27-2013, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Pchris
^ im not sure i didnt install the lift it was on when i bought the jeep but i can check, but at this point i feel if they werent tightened they are ruined by now
No I'm sure there tight now. What I am saying is you could go out an loosen up the the control arm and leaves. Shake the Jeep around and re tightened them. You should never tighten a rubber bushing without the weight of the vehicle on it. It can cause it to bind and make the jeep set crooked or cause it to wear out prematurely.