Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

line-x question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default line-x question

looking for opinions about line-x'ing y roof and rear bumper and tire carrier? Any thoughts people?

thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Year: 1989 Base
Engine: 4.0L "Power Tech"

What is.., can you define "line-x-'ing the roof y"?
OH.., LOL, GOT IT--GOOGLED IT.., THOUGHT YOU WERE INTERESTED IN A CARRIER/BUMPER TRIP. Guys with sanding pickup trucks use rinohide, or some such for the entire beds, rocker panels, etc., to prevent intrusion of salt/rust complications. Seems to work good, but the roughness of the sprayed on material takes on road/dirt patinia, that really never gets cleaned off well enough to look brand new, lol. Couple of rattle cans of black paint is a lot cheaper, and just a seasonal thing, either in touch-up, or light re-coating. The roof on the other hand, is a problem seasonally with rattle can paint jobs. Lot of work to prevent over-spray, i.e., paper, taping, etc. Me, I did that to mine, and wondered why I did not just use 3-M black under-coating from a rattle can. Takes a few months to really harden up, but probably will accomplish the same goal of the higher end products. I use 3-M for side rocker panels, upwards to the sheet metal styling bend, and everywhere in wheel wells, undercariage, etc.

As per the rear bumper/tire carrier issue.., I've spent a lot of time looking into same. If you are rock crawling, some say that there is a possibility/probability that the vehicle's rear end can/will fall down from such a 'perched'-precarious situation as to ****** the carrier badly from impact against an immovable object. Thus, not only a replacement cost, lol, but making it sometimes difficult if not impossible to gain access into the rear hatch door. Others say, for that reason, to place tire on the roof in some secure manner. Me.., I will go with a tire carrier on a sturdy after-market bumper, as I am not building up a rock-crawler. Problem for me is that most companies make it so the tire/carrier blocks the right rear vision.., which is the typical blind spot--further compromised. Hmmm... Found one company that has a tube bumper, protofab4X4, and their carrier is on the driver's side, i.e., directly behind.., which one can compensate easily enough with a driver's side door mounted rear view mirror, thusly leaving the use of the center rearview mirror practical, in conjunction with the twist of the body, and turning of the head to gain clear perspective of that rear right corner area of the rig's position on the landscape. However.., if you plan on making high speed reverse manuvers, get a carrier on the passenger side, lol, or lay the tire flat in the back, or put it on the roof. But for a more sensible approach, for example, look into protofab4X4, or rocksolid bumper/ plus other bumper/carriers at:http://www.csloffroad.com/XJBumpers.aspx Money, money, money...

Last edited by Alaskan89XJ; 02-13-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Mis-understood question
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

You could do it yourself with herculiner... about $100 for the kit, then you just need a can of xylene.