Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light cubes question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Light cubes question

Thinkin bout addin some 3 in. cubes on the front bumper and I have added a headlight harness. What about hookin the cubes into the old part of the harness where the connector is just hanging free?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If you added a harness such as a Putco, there is only one empty plug, and thats on the driver side that remains from the factory harness. If you had factory fogs, you can tap in the factory switch supply side(top green wire w/ black stripe) if memory serves me right, and install a relay in to the system, then get a set of Weatherpack connectors from napa, and wire in a set of driving lights.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah I already have the new harness and have the drivers side plug dangling. LED lights are not sposed to take a lot to make em work so I was thinkin I could just wire em up to the free connection on the old harness. Then they would come on with the headlights. I guess my question is, would that be too much on the old harness and switch?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by samiam
Yeah I already have the new harness and have the drivers side plug dangling. LED lights are not sposed to take a lot to make em work so I was thinkin I could just wire em up to the free connection on the old harness. Then they would come on with the headlights. I guess my question is, would that be too much on the old harness and switch?
curious. Why would you want led cubes to come on with thr headlights? It would be like having brights on, no?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

I was thinkin more like driving lights, no?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

I was thinkin more like driving lights, no?
where were you planning to mount them? I just think they'll be superbright for oncoming drivers unless you point them down. The led driving lights on newer vehicles arent all too bright. But 2 inch cubes in spot or flood pattern are really bright. I have some of both.....butperhaps i am overthinkimg it idk haaha
Old 02-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Guess maybe I am under thinking it. Didn’t think such small lights would be that bright. I’ve done the harness upgrade and my lights are OK, so instead of upgrading my headlights, I was thinkin some 3 in. cubes on the bumper along with the headlights would be good...not blinding. But probably need to put em on their own switch.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Guess maybe I am under thinking it. Didn’t think such small lights would be that bright. I’ve done the harness upgrade and my lights are OK, so instead of upgrading my headlights, I was thinkin some 3 in. cubes on the bumper along with the headlights would be good...not blinding. But probably need to put em on their own switch.
yeah 2 inch cubes are reallybbright considering their size. They would be fine as like your brights, but on their own switch when no cars are coming.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990

Amazon carries the Rampage H4 housings and lights for about $60. The improvement of swapping over to a reflector housing and H4 bulbs is substantial. Just adding the relay harness helps greatly, but you will see a big difference by switching to H4 housings. I run this setup, and even on low beam, have no need for accessory lights on the road. My high beams will blind oncoming cars. I would just tape off that existing plug and wire in a separate harness and driving lights for offroad or fog use.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, I have already tried the housings with H4 bulbs. Thinkin they were all the same, I bought cheap housings and could not get em to work right. Ended up puttin the halogens back. I have a new well made harness I purchased from a member here.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, I have already tried the housings with H4 bulbs. Thinkin they were all the same, I bought cheap housings and could not get em to work right. Ended up puttin the halogens back. I have a new well made harness I purchased from a member here.
And then you figured out they aren't all the same? Haha I've been there before with a few things.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998 (buggy), 1998 DD

Do not run the LED's off of OEM wiring.

Get a stand alone harness for them, or wire them up with relays and fuses properly.

Don't hack it and try to run them off existing OEM wire.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Freerider15
Do not run the LED's off of OEM wiring.

Get a stand alone harness for them, or wire them up with relays and fuses properly.

Don't hack it and try to run them off existing OEM wire.
What do you guys think about running these but using a factory fog light switch with the pig tail that goes with it? Wire from there properly. And I would splice into the orange wire on the factory fog light harness just so the symbol would illuminate when you turn on the headlights.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-04-2018, 04:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So your willing to spend 120 bucks for driving lights,But not 100 bucks for a set of h4 hella 5x7 housings that will put out more light ?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
So your willing to spend 120 bucks for driving lights,But not 100 bucks for a set of h4 hella 5x7 housings that will put out more light ?
Thinking of using these on a brush guard I am likely to install. I am OK with the Wagner Bright Light versions of stock headlights that I use and figure once I do the harness upgrade for them will be fine for my needs.

Quick Reply: Light cubes question