Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift, tire, wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lift, tire, wheel ?

I have my eye on the RC 4.5" x flex lift for my 96 XJ. I have found an excellent deal on some JK Moab take offs with 285 70 17 tires. Since adapters will be required, will 1.25" be enough and can I fit these tires under it without excessive trimming? I don't mind a little trimming and really don't want to go higher than a 4.5" lift because I will not be doing any hardcore wheeling. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

First and foremost, I'd start with considering a different lift. Like substitute that RC lift for an RE lift.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96camoxj
I have my eye on the RC 4.5" x flex lift for my 96 XJ. I have found an excellent deal on some JK Moab take offs with 285 70 17 tires. Since adapters will be required, will 1.25" be enough and can I fit these tires under it without excessive trimming? I don't mind a little trimming and really don't want to go higher than a 4.5" lift because I will not be doing any hardcore wheeling. Thanks in advance.

With a 33" 11.5 tire and 1.25 spacers. You are probably going to have to trim the fender wells at the bottom. Thats pretty wide.

If you want to flex at all, then you will have to do quite a bit of trimming.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

You should be fine fitting the tires under it. I didn't trim a whole lot, and I wheel hard with my 33's and 1.5" lift. Proper bumpstopping, and I don't rub at all up front (still have to bumpstop the rear, but they don't rub much as it is).

As far as the lift itself goes, I'd check out other brands. Zone is about the same price as RC, but better quality. RE is a little more expensive, but still good quality, I have some RE parts on my pieced together lift, I like them.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
You should be fine fitting the tires under it. I didn't trim a whole lot, and I wheel hard with my 33's and 1.5" lift. Proper bumpstopping, and I don't rub at all up front (still have to bumpstop the rear, but they don't rub much as it is).

As far as the lift itself goes, I'd check out other brands. Zone is about the same price as RC, but better quality. RE is a little more expensive, but still good quality, I have some RE parts on my pieced together lift, I like them.
I started with the rc 4.5 I have since replaced most of the components with better ones. I would recommend RE
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
First and foremost, I'd start with considering a different lift. Like substitute that RC lift for an RE lift.
I do not mean this as an argument but just to clue me in on the differences. What makes RE better than RC? The RC lifts seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck while maybe not being the best of the best. I also will be doing family wheeling and nothing hardcore which will probably factor in to which lift would be best for my application. The RE comparable lift as far as getting the same components would be a few hundred dollars more so I am just trying to justify the added expense.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

I do not mean this as an argument but just to clue me in on the differences. What makes RE better than RC? The RC lifts seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck while maybe not being the best of the best. I also will be doing family wheeling and nothing hardcore which will probably factor in to which lift would be best for my application. The RE comparable lift as far as getting the same components would be a few hundred dollars more so I am just trying to justify the added expense.
Okay well first, rc leaf springs a re WELL known for being too short(causing
Old 06-10-2013, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Okay well first, rc leaf springs a re WELL known for being too short(causing bad shackle angle). The rc springs also sag out really quickly. The flex joints in the rc control arm and als known for wearing very quickly. And overall RE just offers better made products. If you choose rc. It will work. But I can tel you first hand. The RE kit will ride/perform better than the RC kit. Listen to the people here. We are very knowledge able. %90 o people who get rc, would not do it again if they had a choice
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ohio95xj
Okay well first, rc leaf springs a re WELL known for being too short(causing bad shackle angle). The rc springs also sag out really quickly. The flex joints in the rc control arm and als known for wearing very quickly. And overall RE just offers better made products. If you choose rc. It will work. But I can tel you first hand. The RE kit will ride/perform better than the RC kit. Listen to the people here. We are very knowledge able. %90 o people who get rc, would not do it again if they had a choice
That is the info I was looking for. I'm not doubting anyone that responded to the original post but just looking for specifics. In searching for reviews on different lift manufacturers, I got a mixed bag and many times no specifics were given as to why brand "x" is better than brand "z".