Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift shackle + Relocation brackets Vs. lift springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Lift shackle + Relocation brackets Vs. lift springs

I'm lifting my jeep relatively soon. In order to get the most comfortable/affordable lift I could (3-4") I decided on a lift shackle and relocation brackets with stock springs. I've had several discussions about which would be better, a longer shackle and relocation brackets, or regular lift springs for the same height (lets say they're RE leafs for quality specifications) in all aspects: ride comfort, articulation, and off road performance. Let me know what you guys think, or what your experience is.
Cheers
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
I'm lifting my jeep relatively soon. In order to get the most comfortable/affordable lift I could (3-4") I decided on a lift shackle and relocation brackets with stock springs. I've had several discussions about which would be better, a longer shackle and relocation brackets, or regular lift springs for the same height (lets say they're RE leafs for quality specifications) in all aspects: ride comfort, articulation, and off road performance. Let me know what you guys think, or what your experience is.
Cheers
I run seven leaf xj/xj bastard packs, 1.5" Teraflex shackles, and HDOE No Lift shackle relo brackets. In my packs, I have a cut main that runs the length of my main to help support it. I'd recommend doing so to help prolong the life of your main leafs if you go this route. I will say that with the shackles and relo brackets, my junk rides like a Cadillac, well as close as a XJ could come to one. I have so much more droop available and I would have more if my shocks weren't limiting me.

Relo brackets/shackles or sliders/flatter leaf packs > lift springs
Attached Thumbnails Lift shackle + Relocation brackets Vs. lift springs-010.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the input. How much lift did you have with that setup? A bastard pack was part of my original plans, but I figured I would get enough lift from the shackles and relocation brackets that I could just leave it alone. We'll see. I've got a spare set of leafs and a less than 3" add a leaf in em if I need more lift.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
Thanks for the input. How much lift did you have with that setup? A bastard pack was part of my original plans, but I figured I would get enough lift from the shackles and relocation brackets that I could just leave it alone. We'll see. I've got a spare set of leafs and a less than 3" add a leaf in em if I need more lift.
The packs alone, with a stock shackle, netted me 3" of lift. With this setup, I'm probably sitting at 4" maybe? I've never measured it after the fact, but it does have a bit of a rake to it now.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Main thing I'm going for is comfort. This is going to be my DD/WW. I've got the geometry part nailed with relocation brackets front and rear, I'm just trying to get the spring-rates and heights right. Problem is I'll be adding bumpers at some point. Ah well, its a WIP haha