Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lift question

I just got a Cherokee over the weekend that already as a lift on it. I am currently in the process of figuring how big the lift is. I am looking into replacing the shocks and springs cause they look pretty worn out. My question is that once I find out how big the lift is do I need to match that lift we the new springs and shocks? So if I have a 3in lift do I need to replace it with shocks and springs that give a 3in lift, or can I replace them with any shocks and springs? Sorry it's long winded. Thanks for you help!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

If you want to keep the same lift height, then yes you need to get springs and shocks to match what you have.

I would suggest you figure out how the previous owner lifted the Jeep before doing anything. Did they used a full leaf pack in the rear? an add a leaf? extended shackles or blocks?. In the front - new coils springs? or coil spring spacers?......also see if they replaced the track bar and lower control arms. If you are not sure take some pictures and post them.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanks from the reply! I will have to take some pictures of it when I get off work and post them. I've tried contacting the previous owner but with no luck.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Sorry for the really late response I just got busy. Here are some of the pictures of the lift.

It looks as if he did an add a leaf in the front and spacers in the front. Does that seem right?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:59 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Outdoors24
Sorry for the really late response I just got busy. Here are some of the pictures of the lift.

It looks as if he did an add a leaf in the front and spacers in the front. Does that seem right?
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Your original leafs also look inverted...replace with a proper spring pack with the proper lift amount required, I would do this front and rear. If you're gonna stay the same, just get leafs and coils that give you that amount. If you want to go higher, expect to spend a lot more coin, as over 3" you need a lot more to compensate for that amount of lift.