Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift kit feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default lift kit feedback

I had a '91 XJ a few years back. When I bought it there was a 3" lift with 31" tires, so I ran it that way for a couple years then sold it to a friend. Now I'm looking to get another XJ. I was thinking about installing a 6.5" long arm kit until I just saw a few 8" kits listed. I would like some feedback as to the function of a few lift kits in particular. Every company will boast that their suspension is superior but that is just a marketing gimmick not always true.

I would like to run 35-37" tires. I am looking to create a rather capable trail rig as well as a casual driver. I was looking at RockKrawler, Rusty's, Rubicon Express, and I may look into Clayton Offroad as well. I'd like to know pros and cons of these companies. I've heard kits from Rusty's have been known to fail often. I'm just looking for some feedback of the quality of lift kits from these companies, how well they perform on and off the trail, and are the kits accurate with the amount of lift advertised. I was reading a few threads that referenced with a RE lift that you actually get about an inch more than whats listed. I'm attempting to make an informed decision before making a purchase.

Thank you to everyone who may respond.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

i run rustys im alittler over 8inchs but have never had any probs what so ever with their parts and great service when you call them you get to speak to rusty himself not a computer geek in a nother state that drives a vw or honda they ride what they make
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '91 2dr Laredo
Engine: 4.0 HO

If you're going that big, go with Clayton, RK or TnT. Everything else pales in comparison.