Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift is HERE...looking for tips/tricks.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lift is HERE...looking for tips/tricks.....

Bought a complete lift kit the other day along with a few other goodies from Seriousoffroad.com... parts came in today and I'm anxious to get at it, I'm hopeful to start tomorrow but have a knee surgery this Friday and have a lot of other projects to finish first... otherwise I must wait to mend

I'm looking for any tips you can pass on to me to help me avoid trial and error.. I have air/power tools, hand tools, jack stands, 3 and 2 ton floor jacks to help the job along easier..

I know this is a straight forward job just want to avoid the inevitable headache if possible...

tia for any recommendations to can give me...

3.5" super ride, adj traction bar, and bilstein 5100's...
Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

As I'm sure others have told you soak every nut and bolt you need to remove in your favorite penetrating oil, especially the rear upper shocks and front leaf spring bolt. Patience helps too.
Great set up by the way.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 PM

thanks....good idea, I'll buy some pb blaster or similar tonight and start first phase of saturation...
Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Impact gun FTW!
Tighten a bit first then reverse. Works damn near every time.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 L

Having a helper is best however all the knowledge they need is to be able to tell difference between a wrench and a ratchet. As long as you have a handle on things that is.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Make sure to wait to tighten anything with a rubber bushing until the full weight of the vehicle is on the suspension. Even loosen the upper control arms if you are not replacing them.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:18 AM

Get a cheap coil spring compressor
Or be like me and knock the jeep off the stands trying to pry the spring in.
Lol

Its a real easy job if you manage to not break a million bolts, be really careful with the upper rear shock mount bolts and the t case cross member bolts if your dropping the t case.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:27 AM

once you're done with the install do yourself a favor and go out driving for about 25 to 50 miles, come back home and retighten up every nut and bolt.

New bolts stretch like hell, you need to re tighten everything at least three times.
also, if something has a zerk fitting on it, that means you add grease to it, if you don't know if somethings got grease in it, put some in it.

I cannot stress enough the importance of greasing all your bushings and everything that has a zerk fitting on it, it will extend the life of your parts 10 fold or more. I'm an operating engineer by trade and we grease every machine every zerk, every time... because we play in the dirt, and guess what, thats what your XJ does.

so if you go wheeling grease your fittings before or after you come back.

Last edited by JD Cravin; 11-09-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Year: 1998

Sooooooooo......even after soaking & wire brushing ALL bolts for a week, ALL 4 top shock bolts snapped with no pressure applied at all. Anything other then trying to get a drill in there to drill them out? Or is that my only recourse? Is there access inside the jeep, or its all hidden? Gotta go to work monday morning....so gotta do something.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by needmoremoney
Sooooooooo......even after soaking & wire brushing ALL bolts for a week, ALL 4 top shock bolts snapped with no pressure applied at all. Anything other then trying to get a drill in there to drill them out? Or is that my only recourse? Is there access inside the jeep, or its all hidden? Gotta go to work monday morning....so gotta do something.
I didn't mess around... I cut access hole through the top of the floor pan and put new bolts in there. And then folded the panel back down and just used dynamat to seal over them.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 PM

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/br...-guide-150384/

Look there for write up for those snapped bolts
Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 PM

I dont have a compressor, but both ideas help. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM

Ok so got a clue as to what i'm doing with shocks.....next problem, yup, front spring bolts. Yea, they unbolted but the bushing is spinning with the bolt. I melted a turkey baster squeezing 'the mix' in there, but its not helping this time. Can i grind the head off to pull the spring out then run to pep boys for some grade 8's.....if they have them? Or is that a no-go? If thats a possibility, any idea what size?
Old 11-10-2013, 06:54 PM

not sure on the size but the take the bolt with you to the store and or if you have a pic a part near you just go get some from an older cherokee.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Impact gun FTW!
Tighten a bit first then reverse. Works damn near every time.
I'll try it, and if I break one with your free advice to you replace it with free bolts?

Originally Posted by Cruechief
Having a helper is best however all the knowledge they need is to be able to tell difference between a wrench and a ratchet. As long as you have a handle on things that is.
Hopefully I'll have my 10yo son around, if not I'm a lone soldier..

Originally Posted by XJmike0122
Make sure to wait to tighten anything with a rubber bushing until the full weight of the vehicle is on the suspension. Even loosen the upper control arms if you are not replacing them.
Will do, I assume so they'll seat properly?

Originally Posted by XRated
Get a cheap coil spring compressor
Or be like me and knock the jeep off the stands trying to pry the spring in.
Lol

Its a real easy job if you manage to not break a million bolts, be really careful with the upper rear shock mount bolts and the t case cross member bolts if your dropping the t case.
I think I'll rent one or maybe autozone or the likes will have a loaner... Fingers crossed I don't break anything, looks like I wont be doing it until I mend from my surgery Friday, so in the mean time I'll be saturating everything with PB!!

Originally Posted by JD Cravin
once you're done with the install do yourself a favor and go out driving for about 25 to 50 miles, come back home and retighten up every nut and bolt.

New bolts stretch like hell, you need to re tighten everything at least three times.
also, if something has a zerk fitting on it, that means you add grease to it, if you don't know if somethings got grease in it, put some in it.

I cannot stress enough the importance of greasing all your bushings and everything that has a zerk fitting on it, it will extend the life of your parts 10 fold or more. I'm an operating engineer by trade and we grease every machine every zerk, every time... because we play in the dirt, and guess what, thats what your XJ does.

so if you go wheeling grease your fittings before or after you come back.
I'll circle the zerks for sure!!! I'm always mindful of every repair I do on anything, nothing like having a part fail being to sure of your ability's..

Quick Reply: Lift is HERE...looking for tips/tricks.....