Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Confusion: Four Coils or Front Coils+Leafs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Lift Confusion: Four Coils or Front Coils+Leafs?

Hi guys, I spend approximately 75% of my time driving pavement in town and high-speed (70 - 80 mph) highway driving, 25% of my time two-tracking. My goal is a 2-inch lift with 235'x75R15 tires with addition of a hitch adapter and sometimes ~150 pounds of gear on a hitch carrier + gear in the cargo area. I may also add a gas tank skid plate and a t-case skid plate.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the delicate balance (ha) of coils and leaf springs. I want the
1) smoothest ride
2) best handling on corners, and
3) highest gas mileage possible
while still able to clear some bumps and rocks on two-tracks when I go camping/wildlife viewing, etc., which for me equals a modest 2-inch lift. I realize that gas mileage will suffer with any sort of lift, larger tires, added weight. From my research I have determined that with new and higher coil springs you can achieve the best handling while adding height. I will be replacing bushings and greasing everything up in the very near future.

With the ARB-OME XJ 160, are these coil springs or leaf springs (I googled)? If coil springs should I replace all four, only rear, or only front? If using these 2930 coil springs would I replace all four and have stock leafs?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_4151_07.htm

I was considering this OME kit but I am wondering why anyone would want the lift in the rear to be double that of the front... I've also read that the OME springs can ride harder off road? Maybe the 'excessive' rear lift will be perfect for me once I add the hitch adapter and load her down...

https://www.quadratec.com/products/7...SABEgJiefD_BwE

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

If you have a XJ it will have leaves in the back and coil springs up front. The kit you linked is probably supposed to be used with some coil spring spacers which OME doesn't supply with that kit. If your goal is 235s and a decent ride I'd just go with the "UPCounty" suspension upgrade. You don't really need two full inches of lift for 235s.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...part-s-959680/

Old 01-19-2019, 05:07 PM

Ah! Gotcha! Thank you
Old 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You can run 235's on a stock XJ, with or without the upcountry suspension.

Rusty's offroad sells 2" coils, OME choices are the 2930's (1.75" lift) or the 2934 which gives 2.5" of lift . The 2934 is a stiffer spring than the 2930 and Rusty's.

There are a few choices for the rear to get to 2 inches. Replacing the entire leaf pack is always recommended. You can use stock replacement leafs, or upcountry leafs in conjunction with a lift shackle.
OME CS033rb leafs with one leaf removed will get you 2.5", Rancho sells a 1.5" leaf.
Also using a shackle relocation bracket with give you about an inch on it's own.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Elivnitup
Hi guys, I spend approximately 75% of my time driving pavement in town and high-speed (70 - 80 mph) highway driving, 25% of my time two-tracking. My goal is a 2-inch lift with 235'x75R15 tires with addition of a hitch adapter and sometimes ~150 pounds of gear on a hitch carrier + gear in the cargo area. I may also add a gas tank skid plate and a t-case skid plate.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the delicate balance (ha) of coils and leaf springs. I want the
1) smoothest ride
2) best handling on corners, and
3) highest gas mileage possible
while still able to clear some bumps and rocks on two-tracks when I go camping/wildlife viewing, etc., which for me equals a modest 2-inch lift. I realize that gas mileage will suffer with any sort of lift, larger tires, added weight. From my research I have determined that with new and higher coil springs you can achieve the best handling while adding height. I will be replacing bushings and greasing everything up in the very near future.

With the ARB-OME XJ 160, are these coil springs or leaf springs (I googled)? If coil springs should I replace all four, only rear, or only front? If using these 2930 coil springs would I replace all four and have stock leafs?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_4151_07.htm

I was considering this OME kit but I am wondering why anyone would want the lift in the rear to be double that of the front... I've also read that the OME springs can ride harder off road? Maybe the 'excessive' rear lift will be perfect for me once I add the hitch adapter and load her down...

https://www.quadratec.com/products/7...SABEgJiefD_BwE

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.
I have set up my 96 for almost exactly the same purposes. I want it to be snow monster, and a generally capable camping/fishing vehicle. But it is also my 80/miles per day daily driver.

If you want good (near stock) gas mileage, a great stance, and enough clearance to have some fun. You could follow this route:
1. Dorman or Crown HD leaf springs in rear (will basically mimic the up-country lift package and give about 1-1.5" lift (after settling).
2. 1" spacers on the front coils (in addition to the 1/4 rubber isolators)
3. 30x9.5xr15 tires of your choice (I have ran Hankook Dynapros for about 3 years, and just recently changed to BFG AT KO2s, both have been excellent, though the Hankooks will probably win on gas mileage (1/2" less tread width per tire, but diameter is identical).

With that setup I get a great look, great performance, great handling, and good mileage. I have also had enough capability to keep up with my more off-roading-inclined camping friends on any adventure we went on. Plenty enough clearance and traction. In some cases I did better because my tire width afforded better traction on ice/snow.

For bonus points:
4. Add Gabriel Gabriel 49226 HiJackers air shocks to the rear

With these I can dial in the rear ride-height, and level the vehicle when towing our small pop-up camper. I think these are particularly useful, because you don't have to go with leaf springs that are more stiff than what you want on a day-to-day basis, but end up needing when you are more loaded down.

All the things I mention have been on the vehicle now for about 2+ years and 50k+ miles. I'm happy with how it is all performing after that time and miles.

Total budget for this type of setup is probably in the $400 range (including the air shocks).

Last edited by jordan96xj; 01-21-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:57 PM

Very helpful, thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I have set up my 96 for almost exactly the same purposes. I want it to be snow monster, and a generally capable camping/fishing vehicle. But it is also my 80/miles per day daily driver.

If you want good (near stock) gas mileage, a great stance, and enough clearance to have some fun. You could follow this route:
1. Dorman or Crown HD leaf springs in rear (will basically mimic the up-country lift package and give about 1-1.5" lift (after settling).
2. 1" spacers on the front coils (in addition to the 1/4 rubber isolators)
3. 30x9.5xr15 tires of your choice (I have ran Hankook Dynapros for about 3 years, and just recently changed to BFG AT KO2s, both have been excellent, though the Hankooks will probably win on gas mileage (1/2" less tread width per tire, but diameter is identical).

With that setup I get a great look, great performance, great handling, and good mileage. I have also had enough capability to keep up with my more off-roading-inclined camping friends on any adventure we went on. Plenty enough clearance and traction. In some cases I did better because my tire width afforded better traction on ice/snow.

For bonus points:
4. Add Gabriel Gabriel 49226 HiJackers air shocks to the rear

With these I can dial in the rear ride-height, and level the vehicle when towing our small pop-up camper. I think these are particularly useful, because you don't have to go with leaf springs that are more stiff than what you want on a day-to-day basis, but end up needing when you are more loaded down.

All the things I mention have been on the vehicle now for about 2+ years and 50k+ miles. I'm happy with how it is all performing after that time and miles.

Total budget for this type of setup is probably in the $400 range (including the air shocks).

How is the ride quality? I was going to go with OME myself simply for the quality of the ride because I want a similar setup for my DD but what you did is a fraction of the cost of OME. Do you have any pictures of your Jeep?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Sota

How is the ride quality? I was going to go with OME myself simply for the quality of the ride because I want a similar setup for my DD but what you did is a fraction of the cost of OME. Do you have any pictures of your Jeep?
I have the same setup except i have rustys 2 inch coils upfront and 1 inch lift shavkles on the dorman springs. Rides better then stock...the upcountry replica is a great way to go if you arent looking for much height
Old 01-21-2019, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

The ride quality is excellent. Basically like stock. Compared to my friends 4x4s, it is a sports car on cornering and highways through the hills/mountains, but tall enough to do everything they are doing off-road.

Last edited by jordan96xj; 01-21-2019 at 11:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jordan96xj:
buckdj@gmail.com (01-23-2021), Spencer_P (12-04-2020)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Last week I put new BFG KO2s on, and as you can see from the pics, I probably could have fit 31s if I really wanted to (I think the 96 sport is a little more forgiving in terms of fender well space). But I decided that I like the handling and fuel mileage so much, that I stayed with 30x9.5x15 tires. In 2 years, I have never had a ground clearance issue when going on harder drives with my friends that have much larger tires and lifts. The short wheel base of the XJ really helps to compensate for the slightly lower setup.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Last week I put new BFG KO2s on, and as you can see from the pics, I probably could have fit 31s if I really wanted to (I think the 96 sport is a little more forgiving in terms of fender well space). But I decided that I like the handling and fuel mileage so much, that I stayed with 30x9.5x15 tires. In 2 years, I have never had a ground clearance issue when going on harder drives with my friends that have much larger tires and lifts. The short wheel base of the XJ really helps to compensate for the slightly lower setup.

looks great! I think you just changed my plans as far as the lift goes. I definitely want to run 31s
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM

jordan96 your Jeep looks great!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I have the same setup except i have rustys 2 inch coils upfront and 1 inch lift shavkles on the dorman springs. Rides better then stock...the upcountry replica is a great way to go if you arent looking for much height

I’m definitely going this route. I just hope I can run 31s on 16s with no rubbing
Old 01-22-2019, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Sota

This is the second Jeep I've done the UPcountry clone on and it rides pretty good. For the first month or two it rode a little rough but softens up as the springs and new shocks wear in.