Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leveling jeep

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default leveling jeep

so i bought 4.5" rc springs off ebay for what i thought was a 4.5" pc lift in the front, turns out there is about a 3 inch difference now. Im wondering in order to level the jeep should i get 4.5" springs, drop pitman, adjustable tbar and ss brake lines? will i need all this or jus the springs? will i need adjustable carms, also will this pull the drag link out of line angle??
any help/suggestions would be excellent. thanks yall
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998

springs as in leafs? higher in front? did you lift rear only? front only? whenever you go higher, the angles are gonna change. your gonna need control arms, brake lines and basically everything else that goes with doing a lift. if your just gonna piece it together and not get a lift designed to all work together your gonna have to put it together, than correct as you go.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L h/o

x2^^^^^^
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Engine: 4.0

best way if im understanding correctly is to get 4.5 lift springs for the front, adjustable lower control arms, and longer front soft lines.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 AM

best way if im understanding correctly is to get 4.5 lift springs for the front, adjustable lower control arms, and longer front soft lines.
i bought the jeep and the guy told me it had a 4.5" procomp lift, tires were 31's with no rubbing so i figured it was legit. A few months later i noticed a sag on the rear passanger, and after looking at the leaf closely i realized it was broken. I bought Rough Country 4.5" leafspring packs off ebay, which i know are brand new and therefore have not broken in, hence why it sits so high in the back compared to the front. The springs in the front have the same measurements as my buddies 3 inch lift so I know that its 3" instead of 4.5". I figured it would be easier to buy new springs for the jeep instead of spacers because although the new leafsprings will settle they will still ride a little high compared to the front. I have procomp lower control arms but they are fixed(not adjustable) and i just replaced the trackbar when i bought it, so not really looking to buy an adjustable one, but if thats the case then so be it. I'm working with a budget as I am a student, so I want to do this as cheap as possible. I priced out 4.5" front springs at 130.00 plus shipping and adjustable control arms at 180.00 plus shipping, i know with the front i can get longer lines from the local parts store, but im wondering if i will also need to do a drop pitman arm and adjustable track bar..will this be necessary or with just a 4.5" can i get away with stock pitman arm and tbar??
thanks for the input..sorry about all the abreviations before.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Engine: 4.0

youll have to drill a new hole to use the original track bar, the pit man arm should be fine
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Red face

ok so maybe an adjustable trac bar then, anything else i would need, just worried about the geometery being compensated and causing things like bump steer, been there on a previous jeep..not so fun!