Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Upgrade all around

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default LED Upgrade all around

Has anyone upgraded all or any of their exterior lights to LED? I am thinking about doing it, but I was hoping for some opinions from people who have already done it.

The ones I am looking at are Putco Universal LED bulbs. Looking to upgrade all but head lights right now.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I've done the license plate bulb, side markers and turn signals. With really simple LEDs off eBay that shipped from China (a LOT cheaper that way).

I first put blue LEDs as the side markers (I have clear lenses already) and ended up getting pulled over the 2nd night of having them on (no ticket though). So put on white LEDS the next day. That's CA for you though, you might get the same trouble in other states as well so put LEDs in at your own risk.

I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the local laws before doing it though
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM

Year: 1992 2 door sport
Engine: 4.0

I believe you got pulled over because as far as I know it is illegal to run red or blue lights unless it is an emergency vehicle. Nothing to do with LEDs
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by c.morris740
I believe you got pulled over because as far as I know it is illegal to run red or blue lights unless it is an emergency vehicle. Nothing to do with LEDs
It is in TX.

Only took a couple of minutes to find this in the CA code.

V C Section 25950 Color of Lamps and Reflectors

Color of Lamps and Reflectors

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:
(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:
(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.
(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.
(3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official traffic control device.
(b) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red except as follows:
(1) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, may show yellow to the rear.
(2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.
(3) Front side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show yellow to the rear.
(4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear.
(5) The rearward facing portion of a front-mounted double-faced turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the light emitted is not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is not impaired.
(6) A reflector meeting the requirements of and installed in accordance with Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both.
(c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color. Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1974.

Amended Sec. 38, Ch. 766, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.
Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 198, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Ok. Cool. I know it is illegal here to run any color or an emergency vehicle if you aren't one. I'm in VA. I was just going to grab white the whole way around since I still have colored lenses.

Any suggestions on brand?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I did all my lights except headlights, rear blinker and reverse lights. Dash lights are a neat touch. I also used the cheap ones shipped from china. So far only one front blinker went out. I used the proper, legal colors.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah I realize they were only illegal because they were blue... Maybe I didn't word it like that but that's what I was getting at.

And yeah just get the bulb size and then search ebay for them.

For example, the license plate bulb is a 194 bulb. So search "194 led bulb" and you'll get tons of results.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by c.morris740
You are correct.

Vehicle Code section 25950
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Yeah I realize they were only illegal because they were blue... Maybe I didn't word it like that but that's what I was getting at.

For example, the license plate bulb is a 194 bulb. So search "194 led bulb" and you'll get tons of results.
Did you do LED for the brake lights? If so, can you supply link? Are they brighter?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ

Cool. Thanks. So are they actually much brighter, or not really?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 PM

I have LED front turn signals, markers, side repeaters, headlight Halo(don't ask), rear side turn signals, rear turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, hood light, gauge cluster, and interior courtesy lights.
The rear turn signals and brake lights came through JCR with the corner guards I have, but all of the other LEDs came through SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com They have a whole section dedicated to converting your conventional incandescent lamps into LEDs.

With the LED bulbs on the exterior lights(turn signals, markers, brake, reverse) there is a huge difference in clarity of the light. I have had people complain that my brake lights are too bright, but theres not much I can do about it now

Anyway, LEDs are the way to go for any lighting upgrade. Next I want rock lights, a 40'' bar on the roof, and some floods on the bumper
Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 AM

3157 bulb for the brake light has 5 options for a bulb. Which did you go with?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehic...herokee/30/349
Old 06-29-2012, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawlerYJ

Did you do LED for the brake lights? If so, can you supply link? Are they brighter?
I didn't do those but I would imagine they'd be significantly brighter. I'm gunna do them too when I get around to it
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Critz2

Cool. Thanks. So are they actually much brighter, or not really?
There's definitely a huge difference. I'd recommend it to anyone
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 91XJMudMan
I have LED front turn signals, markers, side repeaters, headlight Halo(don't ask), rear side turn signals, rear turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, hood light, gauge cluster, and interior courtesy lights.
The rear turn signals and brake lights came through JCR with the corner guards I have, but all of the other LEDs came through SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com They have a whole section dedicated to converting your conventional incandescent lamps into LEDs.

With the LED bulbs on the exterior lights(turn signals, markers, brake, reverse) there is a huge difference in clarity of the light. I have had people complain that my brake lights are too bright, but theres not much I can do about it now

Anyway, LEDs are the way to go for any lighting upgrade. Next I want rock lights, a 40'' bar on the roof, and some floods on the bumper
Wow. You have done pretty much all the lighting upgrades I am looking at. What set up are you running for the under the hood lights?

Quick Reply: LED Upgrade all around