Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Turn Signals - Strange issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default LED Turn Signals - Strange issues

OK, so I have a fair amount of electrical experience with my XJ over the years (for better or worse). Very familiar with troubleshooting wiring, ground issues, etc.

I finally decided to install some LED turn signals in the front - I have had LED turn signals and brake lights in the rear for a few years now, with the only issue being current bleeding when using a trailer wiring harness (bleeds back to the system, so when I brake my rear turn signals also light up). Removing the harness solves that issue, and I assume a diode between the trailer adapter and main wiring harness would solve that properly (not really related but good to note). The trailer wiring is disconnected for now

I also have a Novita EP27 electronic flasher installed and haven't had issues with it. All of the rear LEDs are Sylvania Zevo 3157 LED, the new ones I ordered for the front are different (and much brighter). I have tried polarity of ALL bulbs in pretty much every orientation possible with no real change.
_

Anyways, the issues I am having are that the turn signals will not flash when I have the LED's installed up front. With the head/running lights on, the front turn signals light up at full brightness (instead of as running lights) and the turn signals will NOT flash at all. The turn signal indicators also light up on the dash. If I use the hazard light switch, they will hyperflash. If I turn the headlights off, the turn signals work but hyperflash.

If I switch back to incandescents in the front, everything works properly (I forgot to try the incandescents in the rear and LED in front). If I leave 1 incandescent installed per-side (1 LED and 1 incandescent per side), the turn signals will flash when the head/marker lights are on, but hyperflash.

I checked and cleaned all my lighting grounds (what I think are the grounds for the front turn signals), with absolutely no change. Possibly a bad electronic flasher but it seems fine?

I haven't installed the side-marker LED's in the front yet but they should be here tomorrow. Just didn't think I would have any issues since I already have an electronic flasher...

Also strange is if I put two of the new LED's in the rear, they are super dim with the hazards on but very bright with an individual turn signal. The Sylvania Zevo LED's stay consistent and don't get dimmer with the hazards on, in the same orientation. Maybe my Jeep doesn't like these new LEDs?

These are the bulbs I just purchased for the front;
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by investinwaffles; 03-29-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I run all LED lights on my xj the head lights are not LEDs , but I did have to run a flasher made for LEDs after installing it my turn signals started working right . the 194 lights you got sound like you got the right one they need to be non polarized light or they won't work right .
Old 03-30-2018, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have an electronic flasher already, a Novita EP27 for LEDs. Maybe I should try another one...

I made a post on Reddit and someone spoke up and said that the side marker lights are where the issue stems from, because of their non standard flash pattern compared to the turn signals. A diode/relay setup supposedly cures the issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/CherokeeXJ/...signal_issues/

But his schematic confused me. The corner markers only have 2 wires going into them. I can connect and solder everything, but I am not an electrical engineer so I don't really know what I am looking at...

Last edited by investinwaffles; 03-31-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Ya the side marker lights need to be non polarized that means that it does not mater what side the pos or neg goes on it will work either way , because the marker lights use a floating ground to light them up and make them blink . as for the flasher all I know I got one from super bright leds and it fixed mine .