Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default LED Headlights

Okay here's my issue:
I got new LED headlights for my 99 cherokee limited sport utility. Everything on it is stock. Factory headlights work fine, but when i plugged the LEDs in, they would immediately be on high beams. I put them in my buddy's 01 cherokee and they worked fine, high and low beam. He has LEDs in his so I put his lights in my jeep and his lights worked fine in my jeep. NOW, when I would put one factory headlight in and one LED light in, then it would work fine, but if I only had my LED(s) in my jeep, it would only work as a high beam. ALSO, when i turned my lights on with my LEDs in, the high beam indicator on my dash would be on, but it would be dim even if I had my lights set to low beams. If i switched to high beams it would brighten up like normal. The headlights themselves wouldn't change though. If anyone has any idea why I have this issue I would love to hear it.

Last edited by paul371; 11-06-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i haven't played with LED headlights yet on my cherokee, i have them in my JL rubi, but i ordered it factory that way. and i put in a cheap wish.com LED in my harley, but i wonder if it has anything to do with your daytime running light module, since that runs your stock high beam at half power.
maybe try unplugging the module and see if that changes anything.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Okay thanks for your response! I'll give it a try
Old 11-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by paul371
Okay here's my issue:
I got new LED headlights for my 99 cherokee limited sport utility. Everything on it is stock. Factory headlights work fine, but when i plugged the LEDs in, they would immediately be on high beams. I put them in my buddy's 01 cherokee and they worked fine, high and low beam. He has LEDs in his so I put his lights in my jeep and his lights worked fine in my jeep. NOW, when I would put one factory headlight in and one LED light in, then it would work fine, but if I only had my LED(s) in my jeep, it would only work as a high beam. ALSO, when i turned my lights on with my LEDs in, the high beam indicator on my dash would be on, but it would be dim even if I had my lights set to low beams. If i switched to high beams it would brighten up like normal. The headlights themselves wouldn't change though. If anyone has any idea why I have this issue I would love to hear it.
I had a similar issue when I installed LED headlights and the upgraded harness. I actually had to pull my fog light fuse for everything to work correctly. I still need to dig into the foglight harnesses to see what happened there but as a side note my fog lights did stop working shortly before I made this change. I need to look at the wiring/ grounds/ and switch to find the issue still but pulling my fuse worked immediately.