Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlights

Old 04-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default LED Headlights

I'm installing the Truk Light LED headlights and was wondering if the harness mod is still needed..? My thought was these are using a lot less power than the H4's...so is it still necessary.

I will say I noticed the lights do have the H4 connector so maybe I'm going to be forced to upgrade...just curiuos.

Thanks for the help :-)
Old 04-06-2015, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Wheel3r
I'm installing the Truk Light LED headlights and was wondering if the harness mod is still needed..? My thought was these are using a lot less power than the H4's...so is it still necessary. I will say I noticed the lights do have the H4 connector so maybe I'm going to be forced to upgrade...just curiuos. Thanks for the help :-)
shouldn't need to upgrade harness, the plugs are the same on the stock harness and and upgraded harness. I have trucklites and the harness, but only because I never planned on having truck lites, planned on getting h4s.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The Puto harness is cheap why not replace the stock (known to be crappy harness) with an upgrade, when spending that much on headlights?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Wheel3r
I'm installing the Truk Light LED headlights and was wondering if the harness mod is still needed..? My thought was these are using a lot less power than the H4's...so is it still necessary.
The stock harness is known to build up resistance over time, which is why our stock headlights become dimmer as the Jeep gets older. Electricity is having to travel through the entire circuit, which goes through the switch in the dash, and the wires in that circuit can't transmit as much electricity as they could when new. When you increase the resistance, the electricity that can't run through the wires gets converted to heat, which further damages the wires and the headlight switch, leading to failure. Upgrading to LED headlights doesn't change the resistance in the headlight circuit. You still risk burning your headlight switch.

What adding a relay harness does for you is shortens the distance the power for the headlights has to travel and refreshes that circuit so that the resistance is reduced. With the relay harness, the switch only needs enough power to trip the relay. The full power to the lamps is not having to go all the way to your dash before reaching the lights.

So I would still install the harness. Personally, I shelled out the extra money for the ARB harness, which is really solid and has very good relays with it rather than the cheap relays that come with the Putco harness. Most people have pretty good luck with the Putco harness, but some people have reported relay failures. For mine, each time I upgrade something I try to make it as bulletproof as it's practical to do so. I really don't want a cheap Chinese relay to crap out in the middle of a hurricane.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Like said is it needed no but its better to have it anyways.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Upgrade your harness. You will see a huge improvement even on your stock headlights
Old 04-08-2015, 02:03 PM

Year: '98

Originally Posted by extrashaky
The stock harness is known to build up resistance over time, which is why our stock headlights become dimmer as the Jeep gets older. Electricity is having to travel through the entire circuit, which goes through the switch in the dash, and the wires in that circuit can't transmit as much electricity as they could when new. When you increase the resistance, the electricity that can't run through the wires gets converted to heat, which further damages the wires and the headlight switch, leading to failure. Upgrading to LED headlights doesn't change the resistance in the headlight circuit. You still risk burning your headlight switch.

What adding a relay harness does for you is shortens the distance the power for the headlights has to travel and refreshes that circuit so that the resistance is reduced. With the relay harness, the switch only needs enough power to trip the relay. The full power to the lamps is not having to go all the way to your dash before reaching the lights.

So I would still install the harness. Personally, I shelled out the extra money for the ARB harness, which is really solid and has very good relays with it rather than the cheap relays that come with the Putco harness. Most people have pretty good luck with the Putco harness, but some people have reported relay failures. For mine, each time I upgrade something I try to make it as bulletproof as it's practical to do so. I really don't want a cheap Chinese relay to crap out in the middle of a hurricane.
LED lights have a driver. Lower voltage on the circuit = greater current draw. As long as the voltage doesn't fall below a threshold for the driver, and amperage can be delivered, the LEDs will stay the same in brightness. The trucklight LED headlights draw less power on high than a halogen on low... so don't feel like it's necessary at all.

Last edited by n00g7; 04-08-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

I don't see the point of paying $200 a bulb for LEDs, $400 the pair, to accomplish the same brightness as 2 $15 H4 halogens would with the relay harness.

It is the most annoying thing in the world to drive towards cars with their high-beams on, and with those LEDs being supposedly so much brighter than halogens bulbs this will only cause more dangerous conditions for other drivers.

Rude.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
I don't see the point of paying $200 a bulb for LEDs, $400 the pair, to accomplish the same brightness as 2 $15 H4 halogens would with the relay harness.

It is the most annoying thing in the world to drive towards cars with their high-beams on, and with those LEDs being supposedly so much brighter than halogens bulbs this will only cause more dangerous conditions for other drivers.

Rude.
That's because they're not the same thing.

Real LEDs like the truck-lites don't cause dangerous conditions.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by besthaticouldo
That's because they're not the same thing. Real LEDs like the truck-lites don't cause dangerous conditions.
I'm going to disagree.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by besthaticouldo
That's because they're not the same thing.

Real LEDs like the truck-lites don't cause dangerous conditions.

What do $400 LED headlights get you for that money?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I don't see the point of paying $200 a bulb for LEDs, $400 the pair, to accomplish the same brightness as 2 $15 H4 halogens would with the relay harness. It is the most annoying thing in the world to drive towards cars with their high-beams on, and with those LEDs being supposedly so much brighter than halogens bulbs this will only cause more dangerous conditions for other drivers. Rude.
This statement is wrong. Properly adjusted TL give off great light and don't blind oncoming traffic anymore than stock projectors of most new vehicles. And every housing And bulb will have a moment in its usage where it'll blind someone else due to a bump, dip, curve etc. thats just life. Hell, even with my hellas and 80w bulbs, i cant wait to get TLs to get better light output.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:17 PM

I am just really impressed with how well that $30 relay harness worked for the cheap halogen bulbs and I don't really know how $400 bulbs could be worth that kind of money. The exception would be just to be different and have a different look, and I am totally cool with that. If you gotz da cash, hook it up!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:46 PM

Year: '98

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
This statement is wrong. Properly adjusted TL give off great light and don't blind oncoming traffic anymore than stock projectors of most new vehicles. And every housing And bulb will have a moment in its usage where it'll blind someone else due to a bump, dip, curve etc. thats just life. Hell, even with my hellas and 80w bulbs, i cant wait to get TLs to get better light output.
IMO, they're meh and nowhere close to an HID projector.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I am just really impressed with how well that $30 relay harness worked for the cheap halogen bulbs and I don't really know how $400 bulbs could be worth that kind of money. The exception would be just to be different and have a different look, and I am totally cool with that. If you gotz da cash, hook it up!
the harness and a newer style h4 housing does work wonders. Like i said, I'm currently rockin the hella e-code housings and i finally had a chance to re aim them. Same height but better left and right, since i have a garage door and space to do it, and they feel brand new how they light up the road. Lot of people dont realize how aiming of headlights makes a huge difference

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Headlights