Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaf spring hardware source

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '92
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default leaf spring hardware source

Hey guys. The original D35 is shot, so I'm getting ready to install a D44 that I'm doing a disc conversion to, and new rear leaf springs to get rid of the cobbled up CRAP (4" lift blocks) that the previous owner installed.

Having installed MANY sets of leaf springs before, I have no intention of being able to remove the old bolts without a torch and/or grinder, so I want to buy new hardware to go along with the new springs and shackles. No problems locating any of the other stuff (springs, shackles, U-bolts, etc...), but I'm having a little trouble finding spec's on the spring and shackle bolts.....seems to be some conflicting info' out there. Does anyone have this info' or do I need to crawl up and under it and physically measure it myself? Normally that wouldn't be an issue, but it's broke down at a buddy's house many miles away and my free time is minimal right now.

Also, any opinions on the greasable (zerk fitting) type of bolts? Looks like a good idea and I've used them on several utility trailers and campers, but I've made boat trailers for the last 26 years and those have proven to be more of a pain than an asset in a marine environment, so we haven't used them in probably 20+ years. Now I'm not the kind that likes to hit every mudhole that I come to and avoid it when I can, but this IS an off-road vehicle and I use it to hunt and ride some rougher than average trails occasionally, so it will see some mud and water on a regular basis. Looking for some personal experience and would rather learn from somebody else's mistakes instead of installing something that I regret. I'm more of the "do it once and do it right" kinda guy.

Lastly, any recommended sources for that hardware? I'm sure that I'll be able to find them pretty easy, once I know the size......but why re-invent the wheel when I'm sure a lot of you guys can make a recommendation.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by commanderjjones; 04-13-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L HO

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f74/new-full-xj-hardware-kits-239237/
Here is a link to a forum member who sells hardware kits.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 95Chippewa
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f74/ne...e-kits-239237/
Here is a link to a forum member who sells hardware kits.
Excellent........just what I had in mind. Thanks bud !
Old 04-13-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0

There are shackle kits that have zerk fittings on them for the pivot point where the shackle interfaces with the frame. I like the IRO greasable boomerang shackles. Otherwise, the interface between leafspring and shackle/frame involves a bushing. No grease needed there, except anti-sieze on the threads.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
There are shackle kits that have zerk fittings on them for the pivot point where the shackle interfaces with the frame. I like the IRO greasable boomerang shackles. Otherwise, the interface between leafspring and shackle/frame involves a bushing. No grease needed there, except anti-sieze on the threads.
Thanks for the info'. I haven't been able to look at it closely, but it sounds like I need to before I order the parts. I'd like to have everything I need before I go over there to do the replacement. If I have to stop and order more parts, I'll have to waste another week.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:46 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by commanderjjones
Excellent........just what I had in mind. Thanks bud !
No Problem.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by commanderjjones
Thanks for the info'. I haven't been able to look at it closely, but it sounds like I need to before I order the parts. I'd like to have everything I need before I go over there to do the replacement. If I have to stop and order more parts, I'll have to waste another week.
Bring a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. There is a bumper bolt that protrudes into the space where the shackle bolts to the frame. This bolt seems to interfere with aftermarket shackles, and the excess length of the bolt needs to be cut off.