Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lca/uca Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Lca/uca Q&A

I'm thinking about replacing the lca on my XJ 3" lift
What are the pros an cons
What about the uppers are they Worth the head ake to do
I plan on doing a parts swap since it's only a 3" lift I don't really see the need to do a ajustable .so from my home work I've done it looks like all I really need is 1" over stock and I've gotten mixed answers on that . One post said wj's are 1" longer and one said there the same as stock xj's so I'm not really getting a straight answer . A good fact answer would be helpfull
Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 AM

Engine: 4.0

What brand were you going to go with? You can get by with only changing the lower and most times there is no issues. How is yours now any rubbing or DW issues? I f not then you should be fine with the stock with only a 3".
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

A lot depends on tire size and BS on the wheels, most of the time you will be fine with stock. Just wait and see if the LCA rub or not.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Engine: V6

More or less I herd it will help with the camber and mine is out of wack so wile I'm adding some coil isolators I thought it wouldn't hurt to put longer lca's off of a wj
Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

WJ LCAs are the same as XJ eye to eye. They have a bend that allows for tire clearance with stock BS wheels and a larger oval axle side bushing which is said to improve ride. I have a set I ruined that I was going to use until I found the oval bushing can not be replaced. Note they are also wider at the bushings and either the mount or arm has to be modified.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ckain
More or less I herd it will help with the camber and mine is out of wack so wile I'm adding some coil isolators I thought it wouldn't hurt to put longer lca's off of a wj
Camber is not adjustable with control arms. The only way to adjust camber is with adjustable ball joints or if you bend the axle.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by iluv83vettes
Camber is not adjustable with control arms. The only way to adjust camber is with adjustable ball joints or if you bend the axle.
I think he means caster, which would be correct. I have a 3" lift and I put RE adjustable lowers on, i am now adding adjustable uppers to correct my caster. you know your caster is F'd when the bumpstop is not sitting inline with the coil bucket, or is close to either leading or trailing side of the coil spring itself. granted, 3" shouldn't affect it by much, but it does and you would get better flex, bushings and adjustability (obviously) and reliability from new CA's. beside, you would always have the option to got to 4.5 or more, as i am doing.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by CPCP-94XJ
I think he means caster, which would be correct. I have a 3" lift and I put RE adjustable lowers on, i am now adding adjustable uppers to correct my caster. you know your caster is F'd when the bumpstop is not sitting inline with the coil bucket, or is close to either leading or trailing side of the coil spring itself. granted, 3" shouldn't affect it by much, but it does and you would get better flex, bushings and adjustability (obviously) and reliability from new CA's. beside, you would always have the option to got to 4.5 or more, as i am doing.
If you have adjustable uppers and lowers, you should locate the axle (spring perches in line with the bumpstops) with the uppers and then set your caster (5-7 degrees from vertical with the upper ball joints towards the rear) with the lower control arms.

I found a chart with control arm length for different size lifts when I put mine on to get me close and then just fine tuned it to get everything dialed in right. One thing to be aware of is your pinion angle. With a lifted Jeep it's a compromise between getting the pinion pointing right at the T-case and getting the caster correct. Usually 3-4.5 lift isn't really a problem with a HP30.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

IMHO if you upgrade one you should upgrade both as you see how weak they really are. Why do only half a job or replace one brake pad or shoe.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 PM

probably 1 of the best things you can do for future investments is to get a set flex joint adjustable upper and lower control arms and just replace both your going to be under the jeep you're already going to have it on jack stands and all the tools will already be in your hands why not spend the extra hour and money to do the whole job right all it once. the biggest plus I'm going with adjustable is that once you start to work on your Jeep you will become addicted and nothing will ever be good enough so you will end up putting solid control arms only two want bigger tires more lift and end up needing new control arms so just buy the adjustable ones and be done with it the only place you can go from there would be long arms
Old 03-15-2014, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by xjkb87
your going to be under the jeep you're already going to have it on jack stands
I'm not 100% about the uppers but I know for sure you do not even need to lift the Jeep to install new LCA.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

Originally Posted by XJmike0122

I'm not 100% about the uppers but I know for sure you do not even need to lift the Jeep to install new LCA.
Nope you don't have to the only thing is a jack under the tailshaft/pinion yoke to rotate the axle since it will shift when the upper arm is let off.