Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kc light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix I6 4.0!
Default kc light wiring

Alright well i picked up a grill guard for my Xj and it had 2 kc daylighters. I replaced the bulbs and i ran a 10 g wire from the lights to a toggle switch and than to the battery. And vice versa for the ground except to a clean part of the engine bay. My lights come on as soon as i hook the battery terminal back up. So where did i go wrong??? Im an idiot when it comes to electrical. Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

you need to wire to a relay, otherwise you risk overloading the switch and can cause a fire.

http://www.kchilites.com/wp-content/...3/6315-web.pdf
Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Not necessarily... I had 2x 55W fogs wired on a 10A circuit with 12 gauge stranded wire (commonly used in commercial/residential electrical), to a toggle switch, grounded the lights to the fender, & all worked out fine for ~3 years... As long as the wire & fuse protection is sized appropriately for the load, & the load isnt excessive, things will work fine

ALTHOUGH, yes, a relay is to be used to protect the switch, use thinner wire from relay to switch, & in essence, less expensive material (both switch & wire)

luke, how many terminals does the switch have? Does it illuminate? Which wires did you connect to it??
Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Member

^^^ POST #400

..... 401!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj^REMY
Not necessarily... I had 2x 55W fogs wired on a 10A circuit with 12 gauge stranded wire (commonly used in commercial/residential electrical), to a toggle switch, grounded the lights to the fender, & all worked out fine for ~3 years... As long as the wire & fuse protection is sized appropriately for the load, & the load isnt excessive, things will work fine

ALTHOUGH, yes, a relay is to be used to protect the switch, use thinner wire from relay to switch, & in essence, less expensive material (both switch & wire)

luke, how many terminals does the switch have? Does it illuminate? Which wires did you connect to it??
sure it worked for you. but are you gonna take the liability on the op's jeep/life if he takes your suggestion over mine/all reputable offroad light suppliers?
there is a reason why all off road light manufacturers include relays in their light kits.

and using household wiring in a vehicle is just ludicrous.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by caged
sure it worked for you. but are you gonna take the liability on the op's jeep/life if he takes your suggestion over mine/all reputable offroad light suppliers?
there is a reason why all off road light manufacturers include relays in their light kits.

I agree 100%.

Just because 'it worked for you' doesn't mean its the safe or correct way to do it.

I could push my Jeep to work every day. Sure, it would work, and I would save on gas money, but there are better ways to do it.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by caged

Did you miss this..

I agree with you that using a relay in a electronics circuit is THE SAFEST, & like I added, the best cost efficient way of wiring... What I'm trying to point out is that IT IS possible to have a relay-less circuit... Not just saying, "You're going to burn & kill yourself, the whole family & the dog without a relay... Here's a link for an installation PDF"

Now, what if he wired a 20A toggle switch?? 2x 100W fogs can be switched on/off just fine, the switch can handle the current... Problem then becomes that high current switches are stupid expensive & get obstructively large

Like already stated, relays protect the switch... & when wiring with relays, USE LESS EXPENSIVE MATERIALS... Thats why "off road light manufacturers" supply & recommend using appropriately sized relays

as for "using household wiring"... Do you know the difference between GPT & THWN stranded copper??

Last edited by xj^REMY; 03-23-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
I could push my Jeep to work every day. Sure, it would work, and I would save on gas money, but there are better ways to do it.
You could cut a hole at your feet & Flinstone your way round town... That's the best way

... tho you would have to do away with ABS, & thats not safe...
Old 03-23-2012, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

yeah, i read it. i was just giving you a hard time.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

OP: It sounds like your switch could be bad (stuck closed). I'm going to assume you tried flipping the switch.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by xj^REMY

Did you miss this..

I agree with you that using a relay in a electronics circuit is THE SAFEST, & like I added, the best cost efficient way of wiring... What I'm trying to point out is that IT IS possible to have a relay-less circuit... Not just saying, "You're going to burn & kill yourself, the whole family & the dog without a relay... Here's a link for an installation PDF"

Now, what if he wired a 20A toggle switch?? 2x 100W fogs can be switched on/off just fine, the switch can handle the current... Problem then becomes that high current switches are stupid expensive & get obstructively large

Like already stated, relays protect the switch... & when wiring with relays, USE LESS EXPENSIVE MATERIALS... Thats why "off road light manufacturers" supply & recommend using appropriately sized relays

as for "using household wiring"... Do you know the difference between GPT & THWN stranded copper??
Do you want that high current running behind your dash? Or do you want it in the engine compartment? Which is safer? Thus... RELAY.