Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another Jeep leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just another Jeep leak

So awhile back I pulled the carpet out of my jeep and raptor lined the entire interior. My old carpet was constantly soaked because of a leak, which I have finally tracked down. After much investigating (going through the entire cowl and windshield) I have noticed that water is flowing from the hood, down the fender, which I assume is suppose to drain to the ground, but on my jeep its leaking down the firewall and inside the jeep. On both sides the water seems to flow in the corner where the floor meets firewall.

I used to run factory fender flares before my tires decided to eat both of them while wheeling, which in turn bent and creased my fenders pretty well. I know have Bushwacker flat flares but you can still see the huge crease on both sides where the fender lost the fight to the tire. I know its kind of specific but just wondering if anyone else every had a leak from this spot. I can see where the water is suppose to drain down from the hood to the fenders but I don't really get why it is ending up inside.

Its not a huge deal since my jeep is just a offroad toy but I just hate soaking up a few cups of water after rains. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
So awhile back I pulled the carpet out of my jeep and raptor lined the entire interior. My old carpet was constantly soaked because of a leak, which I have finally tracked down. After much investigating (going through the entire cowl and windshield) I have noticed that water is flowing from the hood, down the fender, which I assume is suppose to drain to the ground, but on my jeep its leaking down the firewall and inside the jeep. On both sides the water seems to flow in the corner where the floor meets firewall. I used to run factory fender flares before my tires decided to eat both of them while wheeling, which in turn bent and creased my fenders pretty well. I know have Bushwacker flat flares but you can still see the huge crease on both sides where the fender lost the fight to the tire. I know its kind of specific but just wondering if anyone else every had a leak from this spot. I can see where the water is suppose to drain down from the hood to the fenders but I don't really get why it is ending up inside. Its not a huge deal since my jeep is just a offroad toy but I just hate soaking up a few cups of water after rains. Thanks for your help guys.
Maybe you beat up the fender enough to split a weld along the firewall. Maybe a little experimentation with the garden hose would validate that. I would think you could seal it back with a variety of things.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Maybe you beat up the fender enough to split a weld along the firewall. Maybe a little experimentation with the garden hose would validate that. I would think you could seal it back with a variety of things.
Could be. It doesn't leak when I spray the door or fender areas. It only leaks when I open the hood and spray down the hole for the fender drains. I'm gonna try sealing it with something, just not sure what yet.