Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

johnny joint

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2k
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default johnny joint

I'm trying to rebuild my joints on my lower control arm. The arm is from Full Traction. Ive called and asked for a rebuild kit but they want me to take the bushing apart and get a number off of it. I cant find any parts on their site for XJ or anything else for that matter. It looks to be a johnny joint from what I've seen online. I dont want to have to take it apart now because its my DD and then have to do it all over again when i finally do get the parts. Does anyone have any experience with these?

EDIT: The joints are cocked to the side on both lower control arm frame mounts and refuse to move which is why i want to rebuild them. The heim joints on the axle mounts are also cocked to the side and refuse to move. It has no effect on the flex on the suspension as far as i know but still bothers me. I've also started to get some vibes and i believe this may have something to do with it.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Modestmike; 02-06-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 PM

I guess I should have put this in the first post.... Should I be able to order the parts from Currie provided I find out what size I'm working with or am I stuck ordering from full traction?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

you are stuck ordering whatever company made the joint or vendors of that company... full traction does not make that joint... so no your shouldnt have to get them from them... they should however be able to tell you what joints they use for there lifts... call them and act like a potential buyer and ask abunch of questions about there lifts... ask what or who joints they use... then your good from there... your arms "refuse" to move though because youve got weight on them... there not going to... i bet if you flexed it out and got out... looked at it... they would be facing a different way or something... if you have a heim on one end then thats where your vibration and noise is coming from... they are strong as crap but they also are loud and dont ride well on the streets... picking up every little vibration... JJ's or ballistic joints (which these look like ballistics to me but i dunno) will take some of those vibes but not all...
Old 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM

I figured they didn't make them. I was just wondering if they come in "standard" sizes. I was hoping to maybe just measure the tube on the arm and order from ballistic or currie.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:24 PM

I know the tube is 2" wide....can't get a good measurement on the diameter without taking it out.