Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeepers & Creepers Heavy Duty Battery Cables

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six
Default Jeepers & Creepers Heavy Duty Battery Cables

Is anybody running these? I'm going to be throwing in an Optima Red Top soon and would also like to upgrade the cables.

http://jeepersandcreepers.com/10701.html
Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you plan on or have any offroad lights, winch, amps, etc its probably good to upgrade. Thanks for this link cuz I'm looking to beef up the cables for my cb amp. You could probably make your own but the crimper for those larger connectors are expensive
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 lt 6cyl

i made my own when i did my rear mounted battery, i went to my local welding supply shop and bought 25 feet of 4 gauge wire. i already had the crimper and the ends
Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
If you plan on or have any offroad lights, winch, amps, etc its probably good to upgrade. Thanks for this link cuz I'm looking to beef up the cables for my cb amp. You could probably make your own but the crimper for those larger connectors are expensive
Haha yeah that's why I'm looking to do it. As you can see by my Avatar pic, I have a few offroad lights and gunna be throwing in a subwoofer soon too, so looking to beef up the electrical system!

Wish I had the electrical know-how to make these myself, but I don't as of just yet so that's why I started this thread.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ

Haha yeah that's why I'm looking to do it. As you can see by my Avatar pic, I have a few offroad lights and gunna be throwing in a subwoofer soon too, so looking to beef up the electrical system!

Wish I had the electrical know-how to make these myself, but I don't as of just yet so that's why I started this thread.
These 12volt systems really aren't that difficult. Maybe when you start talking about relays, capacitors, switches and what not it can get confusing but theres plenty of info here and on the web to guide you.

I'm not an auto mechanic by any means but I've learned a lot by reading on these forums and talking with my mechanic friends. Now I can usually fix and diagnose problems impress I don't have specific tools. If you're at all mechanically inclined you should be fine.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Get ahold of Jon (aka 5-90 on here and NAXJA) he makes custom XJ specific battery cables that are of the highest quality and are cheaper than the link you provided above.

http://www.kelleyswip.com/

Here is his website but if you PM him I'm sure he would be more than happy to discuss wiring options for your jeep and he can make sets specific to how many lights, the output etc.. that you want to run.

Many members in the XJ community use his wires and I've never heard of a negative review of them.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by xjsnake
Get ahold of Jon (aka 5-90 on here and NAXJA) he makes custom XJ specific battery cables that are of the highest quality and are cheaper than the link you provided above.

http://www.kelleyswip.com/

Here is his website but if you PM him I'm sure he would be more than happy to discuss wiring options for your jeep and he can make sets specific to how many lights, the output etc.. that you want to run.

Many members in the XJ community use his wires and I've never heard of a negative review of them.
Good advice. He knows his stuff.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

I was also going to ask about them because I have heard good things. Looks like that's what I'll be doing, thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Is anybody running these? I'm going to be throwing in an Optima Red Top soon and would also like to upgrade the cables.

http://jeepersandcreepers.com/10701.html
Here is another link.....looks cheaper compared to 5-90's.
http://store.valueweb.com/servlet/je...l?sfs=d9d726a3

Anyone has experience with them?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by BotakBeng
Here is another link.....looks cheaper compared to 5-90's.
http://store.valueweb.com/servlet/je...l?sfs=d9d726a3

Anyone has experience with them?
That link does not specify what is included within the kit so it's not a fair comparison. I just purchased jon's (5-90) kit for my Xj with 4gauge wire. I did the ANL fuse kit and for the money it's a great product. had I to do it all over again I probably would have purchased my own ANL kit. Jon's kit is good in that he cuts everything to length and the lugs are exactly what you need. The actual copper used is top quality and comes from trystar I believe.

The kit comes with a B- Cable(s) to the fender, to the engine block, and a B- Cable from block to fender. Includes B+ Cable to starter, to alternator, and to PDC. The ANL kit includes an inline fuse between the alternator cable to the battery. It includes something like 10-12 feet of 4 gauge cable. I did think about buying my own amp wiring kit from amazon and doing it myself. You could probably do it for about 1/2 the cost assuming you get the same quality wire.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by z06elmo

That link does not specify what is included within the kit so it's not a fair comparison. I just purchased jon's (5-90) kit for my Xj with 4gauge wire. I did the ANL fuse kit and for the money it's a great product. had I to do it all over again I probably would have purchased my own ANL kit. Jon's kit is good in that he cuts everything to length and the lugs are exactly what you need. The actual copper used is top quality and comes from trystar I believe.

The kit comes with a B- Cable(s) to the fender, to the engine block, and a B- Cable from block to fender. Includes B+ Cable to starter, to alternator, and to PDC. The ANL kit includes an inline fuse between the alternator cable to the battery. It includes something like 10-12 feet of 4 gauge cable. I did think about buying my own amp wiring kit from amazon and doing it myself. You could probably do it for about 1/2 the cost assuming you get the same quality wire.
That's awesome, thanks for all this info!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You're doing the right thing. The results are worth it.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Would the kit you mentioned be part #2XJ-242-A?
Does it include the clamps?

Thx.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by BotakBeng
Would the kit you mentioned be part #2XJ-242-A?
Does it include the clamps?

Thx.
The part number I purchased was actually the entire kit which is 2XJ-242-ANL-xxx.

The part number you describe would actually work just fine and includes everything BUT the wire from the Alternator to the Battery + which is very important when you upgrade (if not the most important).

So what you want is 2XJ-242-A and 2XJ-242-06 which includes that long wire. If i were to do it again I would get those two part numbers, then install my own line fuse in the wire from Alt to B+. You can use an ANL fuse or even a fuse people use for stereo/amps etc. You want it to have the amperage that your alternator will max put out. I don't think paying the extra 50 for the entire kit was worth it since you can get a lot of those fuses on amazon etc. The benefit you're paying for is that it's a 'kit' with everything crimped. I have to admit cutting 4 gauge cable and crimping it is a PITA
Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM

I'm runnin Jeepers & Creepers cables, haven't had any issues with my rig since, but I was having an intermittant issue with my starter cable before I upgraded. I don't remember for sure, but I didn't buy them at full price either back in 2010.

One other thing I added was a 0/1 Gauge cable from the battery to a distrobution block under the rear seat between where my amps will be. It has more than enough throughput to run both amps, a 2kw power inverter, air compressor and my soon to be installed lightbar and rear lights (granted I wouldn't run the inverter with anything else that has a heavy draw).

Quick Reply: Jeepers & Creepers Heavy Duty Battery Cables