Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jcr 1 ton steering?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default jcr 1 ton steering?

I recently bought a used jcr 1 ton utk steering kit, and I have a few ?'s. I got a 5/8s drill bit, but I couldn't find an 11/16's. I also got the reamer from the jcr site. My questions are. Can I just skip the 11/16 drill bit ream it from 5/8's? And how do I know how much to ream it? I don't want to make it to big. But I don't know exactly how far the tre are supposed to go in
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM
SDC
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by ohio95xj
I recently bought a used jcr 1 ton utk steering kit, and I have a few ?'s. I got a 5/8s drill bit, but I couldn't find an 11/16's. I also got the reamer from the jcr site. My questions are. Can I just skip the 11/16 drill bit ream it from 5/8's? And how do I know how much to ream it? I don't want to make it to big. But I don't know exactly how far the tre are supposed to go in
Yes you can get by with the 5/8 drill bit you just have to ream more. You have to take your time and fit the tie rod ends frequently as you go. be extra careful to hold the reamer straight so you dont egg out the hole.

Another bit of advice is to put flat spots on the tie rod so you can put a wrench on it when you tighten the jam nuts. JCR doesnt do this and it makes it a pain in the *** to tighten properly without mving the tierod once its set properly.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SDC
Yes you can get by with the 5/8 drill bit you just have to ream more. You have to take your time and fit the tie rod ends frequently as you go. be extra careful to hold the reamer straight so you dont egg out the hole.

Another bit of advice is to put flat spots on the tie rod so you can put a wrench on it when you tighten the jam nuts. JCR doesnt do this and it makes it a pain in the *** to tighten properly without mving the tierod once its set properly.
okay, thank you. about how much space should be from the knuckle to the body of the round part of the TRE. also i noticed that the tie rod is not perfecly straight, it has a very slight bend, it should be okay though, right? or at least still stronger than stock steering.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
SDC
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by ohio95xj
okay, thank you. about how much space should be from the knuckle to the body of the round part of the TRE. also i noticed that the tie rod is not perfecly straight, it has a very slight bend, it should be okay though, right? or at least still stronger than stock steering.
Best advise is to go on JCR website and download the install instructions. Read them a couple of times. Just take your time.

I purposely put a bend in the Tre on passenger side to aid in clearing my differential. Not sure if that's what you have or not. I'd say your fine as long as everything lines up ok.

I developed major death wobble after installing mine. I ended up getting all new adjustable control arms and drop brackets to make it go away. I've heard other people with similar problems. I'm happy with my setup now. Be prepared to fix any other worn components as necessary.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SDC

Best advise is to go on JCR website and download the install instructions. Read them a couple of times. Just take your time.

I purposely put a bend in the Tre on passenger side to aid in clearing my differential. Not sure if that's what you have or not. I'd say your fine as long as everything lines up ok.

I developed major death wobble after installing mine. I ended up getting all new adjustable control arms and drop brackets to make it go away. I've heard other people with similar problems. I'm happy with my setup now. Be prepared to fix any other worn components as necessary.
Okay thank you