Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Janky Rear Shock

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Janky Rear Shock

I have noticed an increasing "squeek" in the rear of the heep as of late. Upon further inspection, it looks like the PO tried to short cut a busted top rear shock mount. What advice can you guys provide? The shocks are good yet. Can I hit the JY or autoparts store get just the flange thing that goes thru the top bushing? Need to fix this TODAY! Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Could do bar pin eliminators with the rear swap bar axle brackets
Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Could do bar pin eliminators with the rear swap bar axle brackets
I'm going to see what I can find on this... I'm going to have to run to the yard and find a way to yank a rear sway. Most of the vehicles out there are sitting on the ground, wheel less with about 4ft weeds between them.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Looks like your in need of new bar pins, youll have to remove both the upper shock bolts...which will be fun..you could do bpe's but it may cost more than you wanna pay.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Default UPDATE

I was able to run to the yard earlier, lucked out and found 2 shocks that had been cut off at the shaft. Took a bit of work with a knife and a drill bit to get enough of the bushing removed from around the bar pin. I was able to pull 2 new bar pins. Upon returning home, I was able to pull the drivers side shock pretty easily (the one in the picture). The "bolts" that were thru the bar pins are self tapping screws!! WTF?!?! And this wouldnt be complete unless the passenger side was the same way right? Yep, sure enough, both original shock bolts are snapped off, on both sides, and the PO used self tappers to reattach. I had to get a little creative with a couple large sockets, hammer, and lube to get the new bar pins into the bushings. Stopped at the local hardware store and picked up 4 grade 8 1" bolts, nuts and 8 washers figuring I could punch out the original bolts and fish the new hardware in. I cannot open up the original mounting holes. Punch and BFE lost this battle, and I gave up. I dont have a garage, its windy, cold, and I only have basic hand tools. My buddy has a shop on the other side of town that I will hit up tomorrow. Short of cutting the floors open, which I REALLY don't want to get into, I dont know what resolution will prevail when all is said and done.

It seems that the bar pins I pulled are just a hair shorter than the ones that are on the shocks now and may not line up with the mounting holes even if I can clear them out... Ugh...