Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IRO track bar won't line up

Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default IRO track bar won't line up

Hey guys, I'm on the tail end of finishing up my 4'' IRO lift on the cherokee. Springs, shocks, upper and lower control arms are in, and I went to install the double shear track bar from them and it will not line up. Everything is level, straight, both sides measure the same. Not sure what I am doing wrong that it will not line up. Here's a couple pics...

Anyone had similar issues? Thanks for any help!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Have you tried hammering the **** out of that bolt?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Also, pull the bolt, pull the end out of the mount, and loosen the jam nut and then it will make it easier for it to spin into the right spot. Hammer will end up being your buddy
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Why don't you try adjusting the bracket joint half a rotation? That is why it's called ADJUSTABLE.

Like Xj88 said, loosen up that joint, adjust it to fit, then tighten the jam night after it's been installed again . Lower the vehicle off the stands and remeasure to make the axle is centered. Repeat the process for any necessary tweaks.

Last edited by no rdplz; 11-28-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

I assume all the weight is on the Jeep.

Adjust the tracbar longer...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Why don't you try adjusting the bracket joint half a rotation? That is why it's called ADJUSTABLE.

Like Xj88 said, loosen up that joint, adjust it to fit, then tighten the jam night after it's been installed again . Lower the vehicle off the stands and remeasure to make the axle is centered. Repeat the process for any necessary tweaks.
I understand what adjustable is, and believe me I've tried it thank you. If you adjust it, itll still only line one side up and the other off. One side lines up enough for the bolt to go in but the other side is about a 1/4" off noted by the 1st picture.

Originally Posted by lowrange2
I assume all the weight is on the Jeep.

Adjust the tracbar longer...
Should I put the tires on and drop the truck down? Instructions said for it to be on jack stands but I will try that. We tried doing the steering wheel turn and it would slightly move it but not enough to get it in.

Hammering would destroy the bolt. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Hammering would not destroy the bolt. Unless the threads are really wedged against something..even then it shouldnt hurt it. Between me, nordplz, and lowrange..I think we have played with enough trac bars haha
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Hammering would not destroy the bolt. Unless the threads are really wedged against something..even then it shouldnt hurt it. Between me, nordplz, and lowrange..I think we have played with enough trac bars haha
Lol wasnt trying to affend or anything, I know hammers are affective I've done it before. Its just the bolt is still off a 1/4" and enough to where i believe it will not go through the bracket even by hammering...but will give it a shot. Thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't get you're knickers in a bunch there pal. This is a forum and sarcasm doesn't translate well, so get used to it to be honest. We're just trying to make sure you know what you can do 'cu we don't assume everyone knows what they're doing on here.I just did an IRO install on mine a couple months back, so I know what you're dealing with.

Keep it on the stands right now (stands need to be on the unibody rails, not the axle). Loosen up the jam nut and rotate the upper bushing housing to the specs they listed on the instructions (something like 34" bushing eye to eye for 4" of lift I think). Install it into the bracket. This is where placement of your stands comes into play. The track bar centers the axle, so the axle needs to be able to move side to side. If the stands are on the axle, it won't move. Once it's in there, tighten it all up, put the tires on, and lower the Jeep down. Now measure to see if the axle is centered. If it is, good job. If not, jack it back up and do whatever adjustments are necessary to get it centered.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Is it bolted to the axle already? If so remove that bolt and drop it.. May give you more opportunity to wiggle it around.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Don't get you're knickers in a bunch there pal. This is a forum and sarcasm doesn't translate well, so get used to it to be honest. We're just trying to make sure you know what you can do 'cu we don't assume everyone knows what they're doing on here.I just did an IRO install on mine a couple months back, so I know what you're dealing with.

Keep it on the stands right now (stands need to be on the unibody rails, not the axle). Loosen up the jam nut and rotate the upper bushing housing to the specs they listed on the instructions (something like 34" bushing eye to eye for 4" of lift I think). Install it into the bracket. This is where placement of your stands comes into play. The track bar centers the axle, so the axle needs to be able to move side to side. If the stands are on the axle, it won't move. Once it's in there, tighten it all up, put the tires on, and lower the Jeep down. Now measure to see if the axle is centered. If it is, good job. If not, jack it back up and do whatever adjustments are necessary to get it centered.
By your instructions I see what I may be doing wrong. It's the first jeep I've ever touched so just learning. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Is it bolted to the axle already? If so remove that bolt and drop it.. May give you more opportunity to wiggle it around.
Yes they said to start with the axle end and work it into the bracket. Will try all listed suggestions, appreciate it guys.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: I6

Mine did the same thing. its like the bushing hole is tweaked compared to the bracket because the lower mound inst properly lined up with the upper. that's why bushings are soft get a big screw driver in there and pry it straight and pound that bolt in. or just pound it it in. IF the bolt gets damaged from doing this then obviously the bolt wasn't strong enough to be used to bolt a track bar on anyway.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

have someone turn the wheel a bit as you tap it in with a hammer.

ratchet straps

prybar from the bracket to the bushing

bevel the tip of the bolt with a grinder a little (with the nut on it of course so you can chase the threads) then tap it in.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
have someone turn the wheel a bit as you tap it in with a hammer.

ratchet straps

prybar from the bracket to the bushing

bevel the tip of the bolt with a grinder a little (with the nut on it of course so you can chase the threads) then tap it in.
Bingo ^^^^

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IRO track bar won't line up