Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IRO Critical Path long Arm Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default IRO Critical Path long Arm Upgrade?

Installed my 4.5 Rc lift but those short arms are a rough ride and I know I could do the drop bracket but Id much rather just do it right and upgrade to long arm. All I want is to upgrade to long arm so this kit should be all I'd need right? http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

There are lots of threads about the iron rock long arm kit. Do some searching around and you will find a ton of info. If all you are looking for is a cheap solution. Then this might work for you. If you want a better quality long arm upgrade then you will need to invest a little more.

Kris Froehlich
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
There are lots of threads about the iron rock long arm kit. Do some searching around and you will find a ton of info. If all you are looking for is a cheap solution. Then this might work for you. If you want a better quality long arm upgrade then you will need to invest a little more.

Kris Froehlich
Like one from FST.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Siever_93
Id much rather just do it right and upgrade to long arm. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
If you want to do it right.. you may want to look for other options for LAs.
If your for sure wanting just a radius long arm setup then I would say go for Serious Offroad Long Arms. There are better kits out there then the IRO for sure. People will bash the caster adjustment on it..and the fact that it only uses HALF of what a stock setup uses to keep the axle in place..
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Xj88
If you want to do it right.. you may want to look for other options for LAs.
If your for sure wanting just a radius long arm setup then I would say go for Serious Offroad Long Arms. There are better kits out there then the IRO for sure. People will bash the caster adjustment on it..and the fact that it only uses HALF of what a stock setup uses to keep the axle in place..
The caster adjustment on these fail frequently and the fact that these only use 1 factory 10mm bolt instead of 2 just does not seem like a quality setup.

If you like the radius arm setup the serious kit would be good, if you want an actual 4 link setup then go with claytons

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Path=419_2040&

http://claytonoffroad.com/index.php/cPath/18_68
Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Old School CF Moderator

There are few other 4link setups that are worth a look.
Rustys new Comp 4 link
Rock Krawler 4/3 link
Full Traction.

But they get expensive
Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Xj88
There are few other 4link setups that are worth a look.
Rustys new Comp 4 link
Rock Krawler 4/3 link
Full Traction.

But they get expensive
Okay okay I thought the IRO was poorly built since they really don't seem to have much adjustment, but see my deal is I don't really have oodles of cash lol I want to get the most bang for my buck and what about the Rough Country kit I mean its got some good stuff and for like 700 bucks I heard that the joints are too great but I know you get what you pay for but it seems to be a good deal? http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_689U.html
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Old School CF Moderator

I'd go rc long arm over the iro.

I'd consider serious Offroad long arms though..or the rustys comp 4 link.

If its between iro and rc..go with rc
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM

Year: 1995

Iron rock over rough country any day, as far as customer service and help. Also quality of parts i have purchased is much better from iro. Have not ordered my long arms yet, so cannot speak on or against there behalf.

Read first hand reviews of the kit, i have only heard good things from people who ACTUALLY run them. Or talk to someone running it, and see how the adjuster works and holds up.

Just my opinion on what i would do.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

I was going to go with IRO's, but the whole one UCA and that 10mm bolt made me kinda worried. Then I was going to go with RC's, since it wasn't too much more. Then the guys here told me to save up a little more and go with Serious Offroad's, which I did. And I love them. They're pure beef, Frank, the owner and maker of them is an active CF member, and if you bend or break the arms or crossmember, if he can't fix it he'll replace it. Definitely look into it.

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...4-7.5-S-A-Lift
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: Big 4.0L

My iro long arms are pure beef. I was very suprised on the quality. The adjuster works perfect for me very easy to adjust. There are people on here the run iro and have ran them for a while like 140000 miles and have alot of good things to say about them. They flex great they ride great and do everything that a long arm kit should. The crossmember is 1/4 and the arms are 2" 5/16 wall. The joints in the kit are very well built also. I have only had mine three months but I can tell you that they work just as good as a daily driver as well as offroad. They are a great alternative to the higher priced kits.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by ExTrEmExJ99
My iro long arms are pure beef. I was very suprised on the quality. The adjuster works perfect for me very easy to adjust. There are people on here the run iro and have ran them for a while like 140000 miles and have alot of good things to say about them. They flex great they ride great and do everything that a long arm kit should. The crossmember is 1/4 and the arms are 2" 5/16 wall. The joints in the kit are very well built also. I have only had mine three months but I can tell you that they work just as good as a daily driver as well as offroad. They are a great alternative to the higher priced kits.
What he said.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

My IRO LA's have been proven 100% reliable. & I beat the ever living **** out of it on rocks. There is only like 1 or 2 OLD sources of where the upper mount bolt was sheared. Which improper torque was determined to the issue.

KTMRacer is the only one I believe that has real experiance with the setup and has anything negative to say about it. VS loads of other very positive experiances out there.

The rest of the guy about are just following the bashing bandwagon. Or their friends cousins nephews fathers brothers former room mate had one that failed.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM

I'm running iro and have no complaints. I also don't have the issues of dw anymore. It was not hard to install and the flex I have now is amazing. I would recommend from my personal experience.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Old School CF Moderator

I guess you should just buy the iro kit..

That way you can only have 1 10mm bolt from keeping your axle from folding under your rig (half of what a stock setup uses). That sure sounds like something if want!

Quick Reply: IRO Critical Path long Arm Upgrade?