Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on G2 Rear Disc Brake versus ZJ-KJ Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Input on G2 Rear Disc Brake versus ZJ-KJ Conversion

Hi all,

So I am sick of dealing with the drum brakes and am looking to swap over to rear discs. I have read tons on the ZJ and KJ conversion (I have a 8.25 rear) but by the time I buy all new premium wear parts and dealing with having to find one and tear it apart at the junkyard, I am thinking about going with the G2 Axle rear disc conversion,

http://g2axle.com/pages/view/disc_brake_conversion

Does anyone have the G2 kit and how did you like it? Do you know what the replacement parts would come from (like caliper, rotor) so if parts were needed on the road, you could source them (I don't want anything propitiatory to G2 only)?

Any input would be great.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I know that Big David is the master at this here on the forums. He sells the junk yard kits to do this, his post here.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f71/di...on-kit-159484/

When I did mine I looked into the G2 kits and it was just too expensive for me so I went to the junk yard and pulled the backing plate and caliper bracket from an 03 Liberty then bought a pad,caliper kit from Rock auto and went with that. Now if I ever need parts I just buy for an 03 Liberty rear disc.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Thanks. I had already seen the info about Big David brake parts and getting that for his price and then replacing all of the wear items (calipers, pins, rotors, lines, pads and shoes, since I want everything to be new from the get go), I am almost at the cost of the G2 kit. Most of our yards don't have things newer than 2000 so I have to go to the "recycler" yards and they get a premium as you don't pull anything yourself.

Really would like to hear opinions on how the G2 kit works, regardless of cost. That is not my primary issue. Function and part availability is. I heard they are using Explorer brake parts but could not confirm that.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

By looking at the calipers and brake pads they look like they could be from a ford crown vic .
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM

Yeah, I decided to call G2 and they said the parts are for a 2000 Ford Explorer, V8 with 8.8 rear end.

Now, has anyone used this kit and how did you like it?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have read of someone that installed it (I think it was the G2 kit at least, Teraflex and IRO both have kits as well), and the install was easy. I remember him saying that everything bolted up as it should have

I have an 8.8 Explorer rear end in my Jeep (actually out of a 2000 4.6L V8, 31 spline), and I like the rear brakes alot. Can't comment on installation on an 8.25 or D35 rear end, but I also installed the ZJ rear brakes that Big David sells on my 8.25 before swapping axles (got mine locally though).

The install is going to be the same I think - minus clearancing the back plates. Only thing I notice is the G2 kit doesn't seem to include parking brake cables (I went with East Coast Gear Supply cables which were kind of expensive but are really nice).

The amazon reviews has alot of good info actually
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 AM

Thanks. Yeah, I had read the reviews on Amazon too. A ZJ or KJ swap would be fine but given that the likelihood of finding one in our local yards is low (or already picked through), I don't have time to keep driving 30 miles each way to check if they have what I need.

Yesterday I ordered the G2 kit and recommended cables from Summit. $585 total. I'll buy new rear wheel studs local and will replace the outer bearings and seals too, since it will be apart.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

IIRC I just used ZJ studs (think I was cheap and pulled them from the yard too). I also did bearings and seals. Quick tip - don't even bother trying to remove the seal if you have a good slide hammer. I just removed the bearing and seal as one assembly. Took a few hits from an 10lb slide hammer but they came out easy.

Oreillys rents those and the seal/bearing install kit as well

EDIT:
I would also paint the calipers lilke that other guy, as long as G2 is not going to void your warranty over it (worth checking). Nothing like painting a brand new caliper, almost no prep other than hitting it with some brake cleaner and taping the seals/threads off.
Paint them black or silver if you don't care about color, it will at least make them easy to clean in the future and not look disgusting after a few thousand miles

You also might want to consider a ZJ proportioning valve. Mine was rear-biased before I swapped the ZJ valve in because the old drums required more force to actuate than the new calipers, and after it is much more neutral. Still a bit too much bias in the rear IMO (I can lock up the rear just before the front on a dirt road).

Last edited by investinwaffles; 01-26-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info. Was looking to buy new ZJ studs. I already own a slide hammer (actually 3 of them) and install tools. Definitely not my first rodeo replacing bearing/seals. LOL

Yeah, I figured I would start out with the stock prop valve, see how it worked and if I didn't like it, hit the yard for a ZJ one. Figured those might be easier to find, who knows.

Thanks for the info! Kit should show up today (just ordered yesterday, love Summit Racing when things ship from the Spark, NV warehouse, it's next day).
Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed the G2 kit about a year and a half ago and it works great and all of the components are good quality (Bendix calipers, Powerslot rotors, and Stoptech braided lines). Sourced a prop valve from the local junk yard so the bias would be correct and picked up the e-brake cables on ebay. Stopping is a lot more smooth and balanced; no more nosedive feeling as the front pads overpower the rear drums.

I can't remember where I read it, but supposedly 98-01 Ford Ranger or Explorer components will work as replacements. Sounds like you already got the kit though...how was the install and how do you like them?

Name:  yosZ5Jll.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  74.8 KB

Last edited by JK253; 02-12-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:01 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by xj_mike
Thanks for the info. Was looking to buy new ZJ studs. I already own a slide hammer (actually 3 of them) and install tools. Definitely not my first rodeo replacing bearing/seals. LOL

Yeah, I figured I would start out with the stock prop valve, see how it worked and if I didn't like it, hit the yard for a ZJ one. Figured those might be easier to find, who knows.

Thanks for the info! Kit should show up today (just ordered yesterday, love Summit Racing when things ship from the Spark, NV warehouse, it's next day).
You don't need the whole prop valve. Only the guts of it.
Attached Thumbnails Input on G2 Rear Disc Brake versus ZJ-KJ Conversion-prop-valve-guts.jpg  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JK253
I installed the G2 kit about a year and a half ago and it works great and all of the components are good quality (Bendix calipers, Powerslot rotors, and Stoptech braided lines). Sourced a prop valve from the local junk yard so the bias would be correct and picked up the e-brake cables on ebay. Stopping is a lot more smooth and balanced; no more nosedive feeling as the front pads overpower the rear drums.

I can't remember where I read it, but supposedly 98-01 Ford Ranger or Explorer components will work as replacements. Sounds like you already got the kit though...how was the install and how do you like them?

Yep, got it installed a little over a week ago and love it! So much better than drums. Install of the brakes themselves went very easy. I also decided to replace the outer axle bearings and seals. Driver side was a PITA to get out. Pass side was easy to get out. Go figure.

I haven't do anything with the prop valve. Wanted to see if I need to change over to the ZJ one (swapping guts) but so far, it's working very well. I might change it, if I get one but no rush at this point.

I had verified with G2 about replacement parts and they said to look up 2000 Ford Explorer, V8 with 8.8 rear.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I haven't noticed a huge difference with the prop valve (drove for a few weeks before installing the ZJ one), but I rarely if ever have to break hard. Maybe its benefit only kicks in when there's significant pressure.

I'm just happy I never have to deal with drums ever again and that there's a lot more performance options now with the discs, should I choose to 'upgrade' to premium pads and rotors when it's time for replacement.