Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If all your suspension parts are good and you take the stabilizer off...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default If all your suspension parts are good and you take the stabilizer off...

Will you experience Death Wobble? Yes, at least in my case. I had taken my old leaking stocker off and the replacement bushing width was too wide for the axle mount and I didnt have time to finish before I drove home. Good on the way home but on the way back today, it was the perfect storm of dips in the road on the drive side that set it off. I wasnt going fast so I came to stop pretty quick but I can say without the stabilizer the side to side motion was much more brutal than my old ZJ. New won on and back to good manners. I have a 4inch lift thats about 2 months old with short arms but an RE track bar. The angles dont look too extreme and the tie rods, alignment (new tires and wheels) all are recent. I know we say that stabilizers just mask a problem but everything appears to be in order......
Old 10-22-2016, 01:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The stabilizer can mask death wobble so its been there you just never knew tell now.Is the track bar adjustable or not ?What was your alignment specs ?Are your ball joints new and what about your unit bearings ?Honestly just about any piece of the front suspension and steering can cause death wobble.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:06 PM

Not sure on the specs. Today with the new stabilizer on of course its no problem. I will be checking out all the unknowns
Old 10-24-2016, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Check the track-bar axle side bushing for play. It will cause a CRAZY amount of side-to-side wobble
Old 10-24-2016, 04:34 PM

The track bar is a RE unit that has only been on a month.

The point of the post though is that with everything tight the stabilizer does actually play a part in the whole system.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The stabilizer job is to slow down/stop bump steer,Death wobble is different and if its there with out the stabilizer then its there with it on just the stabilizer mask it.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:11 AM

see your point but they do all work together. you can count on having some issues if you lift a jeep. I see there are now drop down brackets for the control arms from Rough Country, anyone tried them? I wonder if having the arms back more parallel with ground would make a significant difference?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

i have ran several jeeps and a f350 without the stabilizer shock and have never got death wobble from not having it. The only time I experienced death wobble the track bar bushings were wore out and new bushings fixed it.

You have another issue that the stabilizer shock is masking and if you don't find and fix it the new stabilizer shock you installed will wear out a lot faster because of it
Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yeah, there are plenty of guys on here that aren't running stabilizers and don't have death wobble. Start doing some digging. You'll eventually find something that's worn out.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Yeah, there are plenty of guys on here that aren't running stabilizers and don't have death wobble. Start doing some digging. You'll eventually find something that's worn out.
yep no Shaker Shock now for over a year.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:39 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
This.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

running without a stabilizer now for 6 months of the ZJ upgrade and i commute 40 miles a day on windy roads. NO death wobble. no issues. All they do is mask problems that you already have.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:18 AM

Year: 1996 Heep XJ Country

Originally Posted by 5 speed
see your point but they do all work together. you can count on having some issues if you lift a jeep. I see there are now drop down brackets for the control arms from Rough Country, anyone tried them? I wonder if having the arms back more parallel with ground would make a significant difference?
I've been using the RC drop brackets since mid April. 6.5" of lift. No problem with death wobble with, or without a stabilzer.
Bumps are alot smoother with the drop brackets also.